BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is the first itme i have used this forum (or any forum for that matter).

I hope someone can help me. I have a BMW E46 316i Saloon 2000 model. The problem is that i cant open the central locking doors with the key remote control. I can only access the car by opening the drivers side door with the key. The central locking button by the hazard light switch in the car also does not open the central locking either.

The weird thing is that i can close the central locking doors with the key remote and internal button all the time.

What is worse is that when i open the driver door with the key i cannot even open any other door by pulling the handle from the inside! My passengers have to climb over the drivers seat. How embarrasing!!! The boots opens as normal with the key fob.

It might be worth mentioning that the central locking does work as normal on rare occasions.

I am hoping that someone would know what the probelm is. I hope that it is something simple? Please please help if you can.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Sounds like a blown fuse to me.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have the same problem, but mine is more random. Most days everything works perfect, but some days I can't unlock the doors with the remote and have to use the actual key. Do you know which fuse to replace and how Crowz? Thanks.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I have the same problem, but mine is more random. Most days everything works perfect, but some days I can't unlock the doors with the remote and have to use the actual key. Do you know which fuse to replace and how Crowz? Thanks.
If it's intermittent then it's not a fuse.

By the way, the fuse box is on the "ceiling" of the inside of the glove box and there's a helpful white card in there that tells you what each fuse is for.

Do you have the problems with both keys?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Sorry didnt see the "works on rare occasions" part.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not sure how to resolve but once you're in the drivers seat can't you simply pull the internal handle on the passenger door to unlock / open? At least that way your passengers won't have to climb over the driver's seat.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If it's intermittent then it's not a fuse.

By the way, the fuse box is on the "ceiling" of the inside of the glove box and there's a helpful white card in there that tells you what each fuse is for.

Do you have the problems with both keys?
Unfortunately I don't have the other key with me to try it out but I doubt it's the key. If the electronic unlock doesn't work using the key and when I get in, I hit the unlock button by the gear shifter it doesn't work either. Is there an unit that controls the lock/unlock function..?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, thank you all for replying. Some more information for you. When the central locking doesnt open with the key fob, i open the passenger door with the key. The passenger side or back doors do not open from the inside either, thereofre my passengers have to jump over the driver seat. This is an intermittent problem. I dont think it is the fuse. Someone said that this is a common probelm with the E46. I have the same problem with both key fobs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have the same problem on mine, but recently i've had to change the car's battery and since then it's stopped working all together. when it first started happening i took it to my main dealer who told me it was the key, they said for my key (diamond shaped) it doesn't use a battery it's a coil which is charged when the key is in the ignition, and that the coil could be on it's way out, but to replace it would be over £200 per key. i'm thinking of maybe getting an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser fitted and incorperating it into the central locking system. may be a cheaper alternative. but any help would still be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi all. exactly the same problem with my E46, was intermitent but it seemed to help if I gently moved the loom around by the boot lid hinge, (had the idea cuse that bit of loom is a big problem on other BM's E34, E36 maybe more) till someone gave it a good yank! now it wont work at all, had the trim off round the boot and lid, but cant see anything wrong with the loom. Someone must know how to fix it, it ruins alot of peoples experiance with a beutiful car. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
my car does the same thing it will lock with the key but will not unlock. i took it to a dealer and they said it is the actuators (dont know exact spelling). they also said its like $450 a side. but the parts are only like 100 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not sure what my 316 has had done, I know its had the drivers door actuator done, and that did't help. But its had more done before I got it.

The price is high becuse BMW have to formaly introduce the new parts to the old, a bit like a Parts pimp I guess. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's definately the relays in the GM5 going bad. Apparently this is a very common problem because there is a web page dedicated to it.

www.revoxremotes.com/BMW/BMW_GM5.htm

They nailed the problem I was having with my door locks. Sent my GM5 in for repair and got it back in my hands within 48 hours. Dealer wanted $530 for a new module plus recoding and installation.

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
It's definately the relays in the GM5 going bad. Apparently this is a very common problem because there is a web page dedicated to it.

www.revoxremotes.com/BMW/BMW_GM5.htm

They nailed the problem I was having with my door locks. Sent my GM5 in for repair and got it back in my hands within 48 hours. Dealer wanted $530 for a new module plus recoding and installation.
Great info. But, if the relays go bad, wouldn't they go bad permanently? What would explain the intermittent nature of the problem?

(BTW, I too experience this problem intermittently. Hasn't bothered me too much because it works normally most of the time. It's also the only gremlin I've experienced with this car.)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Great info. But, if the relays go bad, wouldn't they go bad permanently? What would explain the intermittent nature of the problem?

(BTW, I too experience this problem intermittently. Hasn't bothered me too much because it works normally most of the time. It's also the only gremlin I've experienced with this car.)
Any electronic guru here that can answer the question on the relay? I'd definitely be interested in this fix...

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Any electronic guru here that can answer the question on the relay? I'd definitely be interested in this fix...
Well, some relays are solid state and some aren't. If they are not solid state, they can certainly fail intermittently, having moving parts inside. Maybe a local bimmerfester could assist you in testing the relays (pretty easy to do).

·
Registered
65 Posts
This was my issue last summer;

My radio was very static, AM or FM channels and both keys could not open
doors remotely, even standing very close to the door.

No signal/activity at all from the remote.

Sent car to dealer and was told that it was a faulty wiring harness from
the rear glass to the diversity antenna, part number 61 12 8 373 257 ($15.20)

Once it was replaced, and upon picking my car, I tested that both keys work
remotely from a distance and was able to open all doors, windows and the sun roof .

I am not sure if this will help you .

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well, some relays are solid state and some aren't. If they are not solid state, they can certainly fail intermittently, having moving parts inside. Maybe a local bimmerfester could assist you in testing the relays (pretty easy to do).
Any DFW members willing to do this? :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
This was my issue last summer;

My radio was very static, AM or FM channels and both keys could not open
doors remotely, even standing very close to the door.

No signal/activity at all from the remote.

Sent car to dealer and was told that it was a faulty wiring harness from
the rear glass to the diversity antenna, part number 61 12 8 373 257 ($15.20)

Once it was replaced, and upon picking my car, I tested that both keys work
remotely from a distance and was able to open all doors, windows and the sun roof .

I am not sure if this will help you .
Thanks for the input. But I doubt my problem has to do with the antenna.. when I can't unlock from the remote, I also can't unlock from the lock/unlock button in the car as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Why are the relays intermittant?

I can't explain why they are intermittant, but, I know that when mine where intermittant having this guy replace the relays in my GM5 cured the problem. Over a month now and not one single problem.

http://www.bmwgm5.com

1 - 20 of 40 Posts