BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts

We installed one today, we used a nut like the E46 Strut cap but just a bit larger, they were from the rear bumper support mount from an X5. The nut has a washer built into it that spins (I don't know the name for this type of nut)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Nuts and things

I found a cover for the strut cap nuts. Looks OK. I would dry film coat in black the strut cap nuts or live with the silver.

This pic shows the two above nuts along with the nut cover.

Do the covers fit the E36 nut or the E46 nut?

Does any one have a list of part numbers that have to be ordered including everything (covers, E36 nuts, etc)? I'm a little confused.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Think I agree with atyclb on two things: BMW will have a strut brace on the later production M3's (standard? option?). But from what I've read, for the way most of us drive, most of the time it would be cosmetic rather than functional.

·
Registered
16 Posts
porkyzilla said:
rs2 thats the sweetest engine cover ive seen, its beautiful, where did you get that carbon fiber made? i would love to put it on my upcomming m3!
That's the M3 CSL consept car with the c/f intake and engine cover. No one has found part numbers to my knowledge....

·
Registered
25 Posts
glaws said:
Think I agree with atyclb on two things: BMW will have a strut brace on the later production M3's (standard? option?). But from what I've read, for the way most of us drive, most of the time it would be cosmetic rather than functional.
Just heard back from my salesperson on my 5/3 production M3 - no strut brace....

Here is the exact quote: "There will be no strut brace standard on the M3 (according to BMW). I was told that they were careful not to make the car too rigid so that it would retain a forgiving ride."

20,210 Posts
.Gravedgr. said:

Just heard back from my salesperson on my 5/3 production M3 - no strut brace....

Here is the exact quote: "There will be no strut brace standard on the M3 (according to BMW). I was told that they were careful not to make the car too rigid so that it would retain a forgiving ride."
If that's the case, then the U.S. is getting short-changed again. New M3's delivered to the U.K. are indeed being shipped with the strut brace standard now.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
I just installed the strut bracce. It took about 15 minutes.

The only difficult part (and I wouldn'
t call it difficult) was gettin ht passenger side bracket under the postive terminal box. I took a long screwdriver and gently pried it up while sliding the bracket under. A few taps and it was in.

I got it from Paul at South BMW. He has it down to an art. You call and ask for Paul. Tell him you want an E46 M3 strut brace. He tells you $271 dollars plus shipping.

He sends the two brackets, the brace, the plastic caps, 6 strut nuts, 4 nuts for the bar to bracket (and he sends the smaller E36 strut nuts for this) and 6 plastic nut caps. The only thing wrong is that the plastic nut caps don't fit the smaller E36 nuts. If this bothers you, you could use 4 of the strut nuts you took off to install the strut bar.

I haven't driven it yet, so no report on whether it is noticeable. It does look nice. Very understated, but purposeful.

I do have one question. Is the small allen screw by the inside strut bolt the one you remove to get more negative camber?

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
Driving Impressions

After I installed the brace I did about 150 miles of driving that day. The roads ranged from freshly paved interstate, to freshly scraped ready to pave interstate. In town over good and bad roads. Basically a little of everything.

I also did not tell my wife I had installed the brace, in fact she did not even know I had it. And she is into performance cars and driving. She primarily drives the M Roadster.

My impression is one of more tautness to the car. Not really harsher, but just a different reaction to bumps and rough pavement. Turn in seems a little better, but I was not able to really push it.

I asked my wife, and she did notice the difference in ride, but she felt the car was a little harsher riding. More like the M Roadster ride. Firmer and less supple.

But overall, it does change the feel of the car. Does it really help the handling? I don't know, but I think it does, plus it looks nice. :)

BTW this is on a Coupe. I would expect more change in a Cab.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Just did a quick scan of this thread. I just took delivery of a new M3. It does indeed have the strut brace.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.