Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I was driving my BMW while it was very low on gas (gas light was on). while I was driving I heard a weird sound coming from the back in the location of the fuel pump, but I didn***8217;t think anything of it. When I returned the car wouldn***8217;t start! I tried to jump start it with no success. My car has full power, and I tested the battery and charged it at advanced auto parts and it was 100% functional. I started researching and figured maybe my fuel pump failed. So I replaced that myself, but still no attempt for the vehicle to start. I also read on some forums that maybe my key went bad. However my vehicle recognizes the key and chimes when it***8217;s in the ignition and the door is open. I also tried my spare key to see if that would work, but it didn***8217;t. I assumed that both keys wouldn***8217;t go bad simultaneously, so my next step was to check the starter. The starter was original and was made in 2002. So I changed that out with a new duralast starter recently, still no attempt by my e46 to start... One of the workers at autozone suggested to try and start the car in a different gear... I tried all of them... and still no start... I***8217;m currently out of ideas of what is going on right now. Has anyone had this problem before? When I turn the key the car is completely silent, all I can hear is the hum of the fuel pump priming but nothing from the starter, no buzzing and lights diming that would suggest a bad battery, I turn the key and absolutely nothing happens.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your starter is not getting power due to a break in the electrical circuit. I am not completely familiar with the intricacies of the e46, but you need to figure out what is interrupting the proper electrical contact to the starter. Do you normally need to depress the clutch in order to start the car?
When you turn the key to the accessory position, are the other electrical components functioning, such as radio and lights?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few months ago I was driving my BMW while it was very low on gas (gas light was on). while I was driving I heard a weird sound coming from the back in the location of the fuel pump, but I didn't think anything of it. When I returned the car wouldn't start! I tried to jump start it with no success. My car has full power, and I tested the battery and charged it at advanced auto parts and it was 100% functional. I started researching and figured maybe my fuel pump failed. So I replaced that myself, but still no attempt for the vehicle to start. I also read on some forums that maybe my key went bad. However my vehicle recognizes the key and chimes when it's in the ignition and the door is open. I also tried my spare key to see if that would work, but it didn't. I assumed that both keys wouldn't go bad simultaneously, so my next step was to check the starter. The starter was original and was made in 2002. So I changed that out with a new duralast starter recently, still no attempt by my e46 to start... One of the workers at autozone suggested to try and start the car in a different gear... I tried all of them... and still no start... I'm currently out of ideas of what is going on right now. Has anyone had this problem before? When I turn the key the car is completely silent, all I can hear is the hum of the fuel pump priming but nothing from the starter, no buzzing and lights diming that would suggest a bad battery, I turn the key and absolutely nothing happens.
Your starter is not getting power due to a break in the electrical circuit. I am not completely familiar with the intricacies of the e46, but you need to figure out what is interrupting the proper electrical contact to the starter. Do you normally need to depress the clutch in order to start the car?
When you turn the key to the accessory position, are the other electrical components functioning, such as radio and lights?
The car is automatic so there is no clutch, and yes, radio and lights work accessorie mode, battery is at 12v

·
Registered
908 Posts
For an engine to start and run, it needs air, fuel and a spark. One of these is missing. I suggest you go to a BMW dealer or indy shop (bimrs.org) and have them determine the problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The car is automatic so there is no clutch, and yes, radio and lights work accessorie mode, battery is at 12v
Do you normally need to depress the brake pedal in order to start the car, as required on newer models? What I am getting at is that we need to determine if and why the starter is not receiving electric current to do its job. Replacing the fuel pump was not related to your problem and replacing the starter was not necessary. The test should be to use a multi-meter or a simple test light to test for current to the starter. You likely have a faulty ignition switch or a faulty safety device that is not allowing current to get to the starter.

In the good old days, it was easy to track down a poor electrical connection to the starter and over ride the ignition switch if needed. It's more difficult now days.

When you said you tried to "jump start" the car, which means pushing the car in gear with the clutch depressed and then releasing the clutch with the car in motion to bypass the starter and turn the engine, I assumed that you had a manual transmission. So, you meant to say that you tried a "hot shot," which is using someone else's battery connection using cables to start it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
For an engine to start and run, it needs air, fuel and a spark. One of these is missing. I suggest you go to a BMW dealer or indy shop (bimrs.org) and have them determine the problem.
OP says that the starter will not operate. You're getting ahead of us :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you normally need to depress the brake pedal in order to start the car, as required on newer models? What I am getting at is that we need to determine if and why the starter is not receiving electric current to do its job. Replacing the fuel pump was not related to your problem and replacing the starter was not necessary. The test should be to use a multi-meter or a simple test light to test for current to the starter. You likely have a faulty ignition switch or a faulty safety device that is not allowing current to get to the starter.

In the good old days, it was easy to track down a poor electrical connection to the starter and over ride the ignition switch if needed. It's more difficult now days.

When you said you tried to "jump start" the car, which means pushing the car in gear with the clutch depressed and then releasing the clutch with the car in motion to bypass the starter and turn the engine, I assumed that you had a manual transmission. So, you meant to say that you tried a "hot shot," which is using someone else's battery connection using cables to start it?
Yes I connected to another car to charge the battery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts