BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Since i buy the car, i have a problem with can modules, but today the car went to limp mode, so i want to figure it out what's wrong.
CAR: 2003 BMW e60 530i - M54B30
My error codes after limp mode:
28DD - DME: Air mass system - Existent
28AE - DME: Torque limitation: Monitoring - Existent
5F77 - DSC: Engine management: Interface - Existent
D904 - CAS: K-CAN line fault - Existent
D907 - CAS: K-CAN communication fault - Not Existent
E584 - KBM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E587 - KBM: K-CAN communication fault - Not Existent
9C77 - IHKA: Auxiliary-water pump - Existent
E244 - SZM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E2C4 - CON: K-CAN line fault - Existent
9E5C - SMFA: Rapid heating area: cushion - Not Existent
E444 - SMFA: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent
E484 - SMBF: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent
E184 - CD/ M-ASK/CCC/RAD2/CHAMP-GW: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent
FFF2 - MOSTSYS: MOST ring break - Unknown
Codes after deleting:
E504 - LM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
D904 - CAS: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E584 - KBM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
9C77 - IHKA: Auxiliary-water pump - Existent
E244 - SZM: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E2C4 - CON: K-CAN line fault - Existent
E444 - SMFA: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent
E484 - SMBF: K-CAN line fault - Not Existent

I already tried:
  • Cleaning ICV, Throttle Body. Re do and cleaning plug connections. Adapt Throttle Body.
  • Replaced SGM, LM to LM2, DME, CAS
  • Redo plugs in SMFA,SMBF, SZM, M-ASK
  • Replaced MPM
  • I tried to disconnect SMFA,SMBF and check, but nothing changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
CAN issues are usually caused by faulty wiring or a faulty control module. If one of the modules on the CAN goes bad it takes out the entire network.
The "correct" way to diagnose is to use an oscilloscope to monitor the signals on the network.
However, you might get by without one. Get a wiring diagram and identify every module on the K-CAN (There's more than one CAN network, you don't need to worry about the others). Unplug one of the modules (this removes it from the network), clear the codes and see if they come back. If not, you've found a bad module. If the codes come back, plug the module back in and try it again on another module. Repeat this until you've found the culprit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CAN issues are usually caused by faulty wiring or a faulty control module. If one of the modules on the CAN goes bad it takes out the entire network.
The "correct" way to diagnose is to use an oscilloscope to monitor the signals on the network.
However, you might get by without one. Get a wiring diagram and identify every module on the K-CAN (There's more than one CAN network, you don't need to worry about the others). Unplug one of the modules (this removes it from the network), clear the codes and see if they come back. If not, you've found a bad module. If the codes come back, plug the module back in and try it again on another module. Repeat this until you've found the culprit.
I already tried that, but i can't unplug cas or kbm, because kbm handles OBD and CAS handles the ignition right? I have an oscilloscope, but i never really use it, so i don't really know what i need to see. I already tried to disconnect the can modules, but the error every time comes back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts