BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few years I and my insurance company have spent about $15,000 repairing front end damage from deer strikes.

Late I came to the realization that I need to have a guard bar on the front of my X5 particularly to keep the animals out of my headlight assemblies. A hen pheasant flew smack into my right headlight assembly to the tune of $5,000.

Does anyone, dealer body shop or otherwise have a source for such a guard bar for a 2012 X5?

I have asked and authorized my local dealer body shop, and the manager understands the urgency of the need, but it’s been months.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You realize of course that bumper is designed protect car interrior by absorbing impact energy by deformation. With mean looking rigid add-on, it may survive the next collision intact, but you wouldn't be around to admire the handiwork.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In seven years of ownership it has been hit by two deer, a hen pheasant, and a ‘hen’ backing a HONDA to the tune of $20,000 in body work repair, including two right headlight assemblies $5K each.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Did you toy with the idea to get a night vision camera retrofit? Might be useful where you are. I was too cheap to get it back when ordering the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts