BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW E91 320D N47 DPF Issues

Tags
320d dpf e90 e91 n47
7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Hurinsky 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, my BMW E91 320D N47D20A Pre LCI (2008) with 25,800km on it. It's driving me mad now. After days of troubleshooting i now need help.

I'm having DPF issues, it simply wont regenerate. I have tried to drive cross country trips. rev 3k rpm 10-20 minutes on highway and clear codes as i go but nothing is helping.

Bimmerlink is reporting around 46g soot. One workshop suggested me to replace exhaust gas pressure sensor and then take one cross country trip (had one planned anyway) since i had fault code on it. I replaced it and cleared all codes and went on that trip but nothing happened. I get fault code 480A.

My thermostat is showing good temps 90c. Exhaust Gas Pressure sensor is calibrated as i registrered new DPF with ISTA. Did one exhaust counterpress test and on 2k rev max value was 75mbar. Mine was showing 141mbar.

If i try to go on highway with 3k rev for 10-20 minutes. Fault code 481A is showing up but then gets removed and is not present when i restart engine.

I have also tried to request dpf regen with both ISTA+ and Bimmerlink, tried additive in diesel to lower burnt off temperature but nothing is working. I don't know why my dpf simply will not regen. Exhaust Gas temperature is about 300-400c when 480a is present.

If someone knows how i can manage to get it to regen or what i should look at. It would help me alot! Thx

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
BMW E91 320d Touring / Wiring Diagrams and Functional Description / Power train / Diesel electronics DDE7 / Particulate filter system /
Diesel particle filter service instructions

Complaint:
The customer complains about the Check Control message "Diesel particle filter malfunction".
The following fault codes are saved (one or more):
  • 480A / 245700 (from F01) DDE: Diesel particle filter - filter is heavily contaminated. (exhaust backpressure is too high)
  • 481A / 245800 (from F01) DDE: Diesel particle filter - filter is heavily contaminated. (exhaust backpressure is above maximum)
Cause:
The diesel particulate filter is overloaded. Regeneration of the diesel particle filter is being prevented by the DDE.
The following cases can arise:
  1. On the 325d and 525d with engine M57TUE:
    unfavourable DDE software. The following integration levels are required:
    • 325D E89x-09-12-512 or higher
    • 525D E60x-09-12-512 or higher
  2. The diesel particle filter is clogged due the recent driving profile.
    Frequent short-distance drives and urban driving cause the diesel particle filter regeneration function to work less efficiently. Longer, extended and insufficient regeneration triggers the fault entry 480A / 245700 (from F01). As soon as the fault is saved, regeneration is then no longer possible. This function is inhibited.
    If the diesel particulate filter does not continuously regenerate itself and the exhaust gas pressure continues to rise, the fault code 481A / 245800 (as of F01) is also entered. The Check Control message "Diesel particle filter malfunction" appears on screen.
  3. Engine fault
    • other additional engine faults are also present
Measure:
  1. On the 325d and the 525d M57TUE:
    • Ensure that the vehicle is programmed with the following integration levels, otherwise update the integration level:
      • 325D E89x-09-12-512 or higher
      • 525D E60x-09-12-512 or higher
  2. Perform a vehicle test and all relevant test modules. In the DDE, no relevant fault codes are allowed to be saved to memory, with the exception of 480A / 245700 (from F01) and 481A / 245800 (from F01). First correct the existing faults.
    Relevant fault codes are faults from the following areas:
    • Charge air system
    • Exhaust emission system
    • Sensors (exhaust gas pressure sensor, exhaust-gas temperature sensor)
  3. NOTE: it is possible that the customer may bring the vehicle to the workshop due to the Check Control message, but the system has in the meantime already regenerated itself (e.g.: through an extended motorway journey). The customer is now aware of this process occurring. Check if the fault status is set to "Currently not present", then delete the fault memory.
  4. Distance driven since last successful regeneration
  5. Carry out the test modules for fault codes 480A / 245700 (as of F01) and 481A / 245800 (as of F01), carry out the exhaust gas pressure test and keep a record of the exhaust gas pressure values. (See Service Plan below)
  6. Request regeneration using the service function.
    NOTE: Regeneration is blocked by fault codes 480A / 245700 (from F01) and 481A / 245800 (from F01). Regeneration does not take place until the faults have been rectified by an extended regeneration drive (refer to chapter on regeneration)
  7. Carry out a regeneration drive
    Once faults 480A / 245700 (from F01) and 481A / 245800 (from F01) have been saved, drive the vehicle for about 45 minutes at a constant speed. In addition, switch on electrical consumers to keep the exhaust-gas temperature between 280-350°C. That enables continuous regeneration to take place, the exhaust backpressure drops, the faults are remedied and the following status message is issued: "currently not present". Now, normal regeneration takes place automatically.
  8. Establish the distance driven since the last regeneration and check to find out if periodic regeneration has taken place. This status message is used to confirm successful regeneration.
  9. Carry out another exhaust backpressure test with the diagnosis system. The exhaust backpressure must match the nominal values. If it does not, carry out the following checks:
    • check the charge air system
      1. Check air intake hose for leaks
      2. Check charge air hoses for leaks
      3. perform air mass system test
      4. carry out function check of swirl flaps and exhaust-gas recirculation valve
    • Check exhaust emission system:
      1. Check exhaust backpressure hose to diesel particulate filter for leaks and damage
      2. Check exhaust sensors: Check the plausibility of the temperature sensors, check the exhaust gas pressure sensor
Regeneration
There are two kinds of regeneration:
  1. Continuous regeneration:
    This form of regeneration takes place during normal driving. At exhaust-gas temperatures of between 280-350°C, continuous regeneration takes place in the form of a slow oxidation process. The soot particles cannot be incinerated until the exhaust gases reach the required temperature.
  2. Periodic regeneration:
    Periodic regeneration is performed automatically by the DDE after no later than 1000 km (600 miles). On vehicles with many short-distance drives, periodic regeneration already starts taking place after just 400 - 800 km (250 - 500 miles).
    For regeneration, the intake air is reduced by the throttle valve. One or two post-injections are performed. This increases the exhaust-gas temperature to about 600 °C. The soot is incinerated with the residual oxygen.
    The periodic regeneration is performed at all speeds. The most efficient method is regeneration at a constant speed in excess of 60 km/h (38 mph) over a period of 20-30 minutes.
    The DDE calculates the time for periodic regeneration from the following values:
    • average distance travelled
    • average driving speed
    • temperature in the diesel particle filter
    • values from the exhaust gas pressure sensor
  3. The last successful regeneration can be read out by the diagnosis system

The following conditions must be fulfilled for a regeneration:
  • The coolant temperature must be in excess of 75 °C
  • the exhaust-gas temperature before the diesel particle filter must be greater than 240 °C
  • there must be enough fuel (fuel reserve indicator light is not lit up). Whenever the reserve lamp lights up, the regeneration process is suspended.
  • no fault codes from the air mass system, exhaust emission system and sensors must be saved in the DDE
  • The fault codes 480A / 245700 (from F01) and 481A / 245800 (from F01) must display the status "currently not present"
  • Constant driving speed above about 60 km/h (approx. 38 mph). The optimum speed is about 100 km/h (approx. 60 mph).

Reactions: Mahmod Alshami
#3 ·
480A480A Particulate filter systemd72n47b0Digital Diesel ElectronicsView
Fault Information

Fault Code Description
Diesel particulate filter is too full. Monitoring detects the fault as follows:
1. The fault is detected when the exhaust backpressure exceeds a limit.
The limit value is calculated from a characteristic map dependent on the engine speed and fuel injection rate.
2. The fault is detected when the exhaust backpressure exceeds a limit. The limit value is calculated from a characteristic map dependent on the engine speed and fuel injection rate.
Note:
Excessively high soot deposits in the diesel particulate filter in connection with thermal regeneration can cause overheating of the filter. Consequently, this fault causes the thermal regeneration to be blocked as from a certain soot deposit.
Fault Code Conditions
General ConditionsContinuously
Terminal Condition
Driving Conditions
Fault Time Condition
Time debounce executed (10000 ms)
Service Plan
1. Check oil level and change interval. Correct oil level or change oil.
2. Check swirl flaps.
3. Perform exhaust backpressure test.
4. Check diesel particulate filter (visually check whether the exhaust tailpipe and diesel particulate filter outlet are covered with soot).
5. Perform regeneration. Only possible when driving at constant speed for at least 30 min. (In connection with this fault, regeneration cannot be initiated with the corresponding service function).
Fault Impact
Vehicle can still be driven, maximum speed is reduced until the fault is rectified.
Warnings
Warning Lightsnone
Control Center Messages
Service Notes
© 2022 - BMWFaultCodes

Reactions: Mahmod Alshami
#4 ·
480A480A Particulate filter systemd72n47b0Digital Diesel ElectronicsView
Fault Information

Fault Code Description
Diesel particulate filter is too full. Monitoring detects the fault as follows:
1. The fault is detected when the exhaust backpressure exceeds a limit.
The limit value is calculated from a characteristic map dependent on the engine speed and fuel injection rate.
2. The fault is detected when the exhaust backpressure exceeds a limit. The limit value is calculated from a characteristic map dependent on the engine speed and fuel injection rate.
Note:
Excessively high soot deposits in the diesel particulate filter in connection with thermal regeneration can cause overheating of the filter. Consequently, this fault causes the thermal regeneration to be blocked as from a certain soot deposit.

Fault Code Conditions
General ConditionsContinuously
Terminal Condition
Driving Conditions

Fault Time Condition
Time debounce executed (10000 ms)

Service Plan
1. Check oil level and change interval. Correct oil level or change oil.
2. Check swirl flaps.
3. Perform exhaust backpressure test.
4. Check diesel particulate filter (visually check whether the exhaust tailpipe and diesel particulate filter outlet are covered with soot).
5. Perform regeneration. Only possible when driving at constant speed for at least 30 min. (In connection with this fault, regeneration cannot be initiated with the corresponding service function).

Fault Impact
Vehicle can still be driven, maximum speed is reduced until the fault is rectified.

Warnings
Warning Lightsnone
Control Center Messages

Service Notes
© 2022 - BMWFaultCodes
I have read all that and tried to drive cross country trip to get it to continuous regeneration but nothing happened. Is my only option to remove the dpf and clean it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.