BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I recently bought a 325 ci e 92 BMW.the car drives very well but the only problem is an annoying rattling noise coming from the right lower corner of the windshield near a pillar area.I dismantled the a pillar and the dash at glovebox area (glovebox,air vents) in order to inspect the area (bolts of dash support heater/ac fan).everything was tight and sound.I visited my dealer and told me that the noise comes from failed spot welds around windshield frame and he had to remove the dash and the windshield in order to inspect the spot welds.very complex and expensive job. Personally I don't believe that the spot welds fail. Has anybody faced similar problems (tik tok noise) and how he tolerated with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response.If I have similar problem it will be very expensive to fix it . The car is four years old and is not covered by the guarantee .my old e46 didn't rattle after 260 km on the clock.

·
wooohooo
2,909 Posts
Hm. Have you considered trying to lubricate various areas, mated panels, seams/rubber? Whether by adding backer rod, vacuum tubing, etc. I've recently read X3/5 owners (can't remember which) using teflon tape to cure pillar noises, stuff like that. A long 20' roll of backer rod is like $3 here. I actually got two different thicknesses just to have on hand. For both better and worse, it will compress more easily than vacuum tubing. Maybe acquire all of these things, including the tape, and pick the best material for any given spot?

When you have a passenger, kindly ask the person to put their hand against different areas, when you hear the noises start up. I remember when I would have passenger(s) in the rear, my deck rattle was greatly reduced. I'd ask the passenger to try to pinpoint the location if there was a sound. With luck, you might find the specific spot(s) that need attention.

I ended up using backer rod, so far so good, though one night while at a fast speed (85+?) it started acting up a bit again, but hasn't happened since. I've been meaning to add another "strip" above the first one at some point, but haven't gotten around to it.

I also remember that early on in my ownership I'd get a tiny rattle up front, that I got rid of by adjusting the AC vents "just right". Since that time, I've not heard it again, but I can see the possibility that I may have to lubricate certain places under the dash in the very distant future.

edit: I forgot to add that there is a great likelihood that a recent PDR of a ding increased my rattle issue, since the side door panel and seat cushion were removed for access, and then reinstalled. IOW, it's possible that as you remove your dash/panels you could be making things worse in the meanwhile . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the noise comes from the front column.when I apply force on the column (having removed the A pillar)I can reproduce the noise. That means that spot weld(s) have failed.Now I have to remove the windscreen and repair repair the weld(s). I did not expect to find such a problem on a BMW.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts