BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jason335i
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Yesterday I finished work and went to put my roof down on my 2007 BMW E93 335i.
I started up my engine, I moved the car slightly forward (away from the wall) my door was still open at this point and the car was in Drive).

The roof began to carry out its function, folded up and when the boot/trunk is supposed to lift open to allow the roof to fold into the boot/trunk it stopped all of a sudden and an error came up on my dash.

There was nothing in the boot stopping the roof folding into the boot.

The roof wouldn't go up or down. I had to toggle around with the roof area (pushing and moving slightly) it would then go back up. But no matter what I do, it won't go down into a convertible.

I can't see any leakages, there's no excessive noise...

I'm unsure what it may be and how to resolve it.

Please can anyone help? I'd appreciate your feedback!

Please see visuals attached.

Thanks,

Jason.

View attachment 568086

View attachment 568087

View attachment 568088

View attachment 568089

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Those relays will fail eventually when you use the top a lot since they are nothing more than a set of points making contact and once burned they fail to pass sufficient current thus roof stops. They are fairly cheap too. Hope that is your issue as it is a whole lot cheaper than other top repairs...

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have heard the relays may go south and are easy to replace. Maybe I should keep a spare in the glove box. Still dont know how you access them.

·
Longhorn mom1
9 Posts
I'd like to change out my relay. My roof panels are in the trunk and cover is closed. Cover opens but I get no movement from the roof panels. How do I get the the relay in this situation?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'd like to change out my relay. My roof panels are in the trunk and cover is closed. Cover opens but I get no movement from the roof panels. How do I get the the relay in this situation?
Isn't there a manual crank point under the back seat on the hump that a supplied tool fits into?

·
Longhorn mom1
9 Posts
Reply to C

Set your Google to manually raise E93 roof from trunk

How'd ya do?
Update: Calwaterboy Due thank you for the reply. I found a single layer microcloth under the base. I removed it and then 2 of us came up with a plan I operated the button and my son lifted the top panel just alittle and the roof responded. It went thru the complete closing sequence smoothly. We have bravely and with some apprehension started the process and it is working beautifully. Thanks for help!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a 2008 E-93. After reading this post I decided that I wanted to have two of the salmon colored relays in my car at all times.

I called the dealer and they had one in stock and ordered me another one. I told him there was no rush since I was just buying the relays in case I ever need them. He said he will sell me as many relays as I want but, in the last 12 months they have only sold two relays at this dealership. He added that when you consider the hundreds of BMW convertibles running around Annapolis, MD it is unlikly I will ever need them.

Just thought I would pass this info on. I ordered the parts anyway just to be on the safe side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts