BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Efficient Dynamics - Can I Disable It?

23185 Views 54 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  BentZero
It's really bothering me that the car is using the brakes to recharge the battery. It's using my effort for its own good, making me do work to help it out. Hello? The car exists to do the work for me, not the other way around. Let the thing use it's exhaust gasses to make me popcorn or use its engine vibration to give me a massage, don't ask me to use my leg and foot muscles to recharge the electrical system.

If anyone knows how I can code the car to disable ED so I don't have to get a mechanic to cut the cables that produce the energy I'd appreciate it. Fine, the battery needs charging. Let the car do that work for itself. It works for me.

BJ
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
The car was designed from the ground up to use the regenerative braking, and probably the brakes, alternator and battery (as well as engine management software) are designed with this in mind.

So... yeah.... good luck with that.
Wow Bolt, you are a hoot!!

I assume you will also want to disable the engine too since when you let off the throttle, you get engine braking and you obviously don't want that either!

You can probably code the DME to open the valves 100% of the time so there isn't chance of engine braking.
It's really bothering me that the car is using the brakes to recharge the battery. It's using my effort for its own good, making me do work to help it out. Hello? The car exists to do the work for me, not the other way around. Let the thing use it's exhaust gasses to make me popcorn or use its engine vibration to give me a massage, don't ask me to use my leg and foot muscles to recharge the electrical system.

If anyone knows how I can code the car to disable ED so I don't have to get a mechanic to cut the cables that produce the energy I'd appreciate it. Fine, the battery needs charging. Let the car do that work for itself. It works for me.

BJ
This is a new low, even by BJ's standard.
Are you suggesting BJ code ASS to stop the engine when he lifts?
Wow Bolt, you are a hoot!!

I assume you will also want to disable the engine too since when you let off the throttle, you get engine braking and you obviously don't want that either!

You can probably code the DME to open the valves 100% of the time so there isn't chance of engine braking.
Look at it this way, even BJ is finding things he does not like about his status symbol, that's improvement.
Can't you guys see sarcasm when you see it? My lord. He is just board. There have been no new Cadillac threads.
BJ,

I don't think ED can be disabled...Instead, just dress your ride up with a few of these:

I promise that all of the attention you'll get will make you forget you're helping to cut greenhouse gas emissions and save the planet...
When there is will, there is a way. Don't use brakes.
BJ,

I don't think ED can be disabled...
Solution: dont use the brake pedal. Fred Flintstone never complained about brake regeneration problems. He had his own ED going on.
He wants attention, no matter how gained. :tsk:

Unfortunately, we are feeding the troll.
Is he serious?
:clap:
Let the thing use it's exhaust gasses to make me popcorn or use its engine vibration to give me a massage, don't ask me to use my leg and foot muscles to recharge the electrical system. ... Let the car do that work for itself. It works for me.
Very easy. Trade in your car for an MT F30. Learn how to downshift to a stop, or downshift through a corner. When you have mastered this you will never need to use your brakes, period. As a bonus, you will not have to worry about replacing rotors or brake pads. Problem solved.

:)
It's really bothering me that the car is using the brakes to recharge the battery, don't ask me to use my leg and foot muscles to recharge the electrical system.

Fine, the battery needs charging. Let the car do that work for itself. It works for me.

BJ
Hold on.

First the car decides if it wants a rest and turns itself off when it wants to and then it decides if it needs extra battery charge and increases brake effort when it wants to and this doesn't bother you?

Pretty soon the car will decide it doesn't want to carry passengers, too much work for the poor thing.

BJ
This is a new low, even by BJ's standard.
Well that's just great, Kat. More work for me. Used to be I could just get in the car and go, but no more.

Have to shake the door handle to open the thing. Have to press and hold a Start button. Have to check that ASS is off. Have to hit the Sport button. Have to wait for the iDrive disclaimer. Have to get the rear camera disclaimer. Put it in drive, now ED wants me to apply more brake force.

Enough. This car is too much work. I didn't request the Aerobics Package. Might as well get a carriage, can always shoot the horse if it pisses me off.

BJ
Very easy. Trade in your car for an MT F30. Learn how to downshift to a stop, or downshift through a corner. When you have mastered this you will never need to use your brakes, period. As a bonus, you will not have to worry about replacing rotors or brake pads. Problem solved.
That's when the passenger auto-ejection seats are engaged; standard equipment these days.
Hold on.

Pretty soon the car will decide it doesn't want to carry passengers, too much work for the poor thing.

BJ
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.