Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
643 Posts
I would never own a BMW out of warranty again - or rather with >50k miles. From 50k-100k the repairs start to mount up, averaging $2k per year. Towards the end it was $3k a year on my 2006 330i. And that was paying Indy prices, the dealer would have charged 2x more.

that said $7k seems a bit rich - I paid $4500 for a 7/100 extension on my Mercedes GLS.

Depending where you live and work from home status it may not make sense to buy one now. I’m averaging <4K miles a year on my commuter car since COVID started.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,452 Posts
OP stated he was OUT of the factory warranty.

I have always heard that one the factory warranty lapses- even by one mile- you cannot buy a BMW gold or platinum plan. Only a powertrain warranty.

Wonder what he did?

·
Glfbggy
588 Posts
I would never own a BMW out of warranty again - or rather with >50k miles. From 50k-100k the repairs start to mount up, averaging $2k per year. Towards the end it was $3k a year on my 2006 330i. And that was paying Indy prices, the dealer would have charged 2x more.
Our experience has been contrary to yours. Now I know some may say that the older ones were more reliable, but we still are planning on keeping our current vehicles for at least 10 years each. Our garage has been and is:

Still have our '00 e36/37 ///MRoadster - purchased with 7K on the odo in '03 and now has 65K worth of smiles with the top down - water pump and ~$900 beyond regular services
We had our:
'00 e39 for 14 years and 90K miles (it had 9KI on it when we bought it) -2 brake jobs, one ABS re-build and a couple gasket replacements ~$5K in maintenance not including regular services
'07 e83 for 10 years and 48K (it had 93 miles on on the odo purchased) - no major maintenance
So far
'14 f10 xDrive d is going well at 6 years and 50K (it had 20 miles on the odo when purchased) - high pressure fuel pump under warranty (that was ~$9k in just parts)
'18 f15 35d is going well at 2 years and 17K (it had 95 miles on the odo when purchased) - still in break-in for a diesel.....

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I believe I paid $5k for platinum (? - the most comprehensive one) 7/100k miles. Rod bearing failed. The engine was replaced. At that time I was happy that I bought the extended warranty, which is just a kind of insurance you are paying every month for a car, house, etc.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts