BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 BMW 7 series F01 boot refuses to close by the button on the lid, if I press the external lid button it will power down, but the catch will not soft close it. Thinking it was a software glitch, I have reset the computer, which has had no affect. Even used the E sys coding to get the remote to shut (or open) via the key pad.

I then noticed that the boot light does not come on, so the car does not know that the boot is open to turn on the light or for the button to close it. I have tried the close the catch and then open with a key, which has not worked.

Quite sure the actual button is ok, as there is the lock as well as the shut, and none of them work.... I have suffered with a few low battery warning due to lack of use of the car which is what I think set it all off.....

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Does it catch when you manually close the trunk? I'm wondering if the trunk is closing forcefully enough to activate the latch?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that the battery has seen better days, but don't think it is quirt in need of replacing, it has 12 v when off the car, and I also tried a battery from an s class.

The car has the self closing doors, so after the boot has powered down, it then moves to the self close bit. I am sure that the problem is, the car does not know that the boot lid is open, as the boot light is not coming on, so if it does not know it is open, it is not going to want to close. (but now i have coded the key, using E Sys, pressing that will close the lid. BUT then the self close bit does not do its last bit. Thinking out loud, I am wondering if there is a problem with the catch....

·
2009 750i
446 Posts
That was happening to my car but I traded it in before I could get it fixed. I do remember knocking on the latch to make the lights turn on then I know it will close. It only happened intermittently so it was hard to diagnose. There must be a sensor inside the latch so that it knows that the trunk is open. If you're up to it, I would open the whole trunk door inner cover to find out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have stripped the whole boot lining out, right down to bare metal, so I have found everything to do with the the powering of the boot. I have taken the boot catch off the boot, managed to disconnect the power leads, but I am left with two mechanical cables, one is to do with the soft close, the other goes to the boot lock. I am having trouble getting the cables off the latch! Once I have done that... will take it apart while keeping an eye out on ebay for a replacement.

Additional!

Managed to get the catch off the car, with a multi meter checked the state of the pins when the catch is locked or unlocked, and the pins state changed. So now not sure there is anything wrong with the catch. Guess I need to source a HKL module and see if I can just replace it, or if I have to code it to the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
Yes, but that supposed programming should NOT affect the interior light. If the trunk is open, the light should be on unless there is a mechanical issue somewhere (wiring), etc?

·
whughes
2,061 Posts
go to the hardware store, buy a role of duct tape, put your left hand on the top of the trunk lid and gently exert a downward force on the lid. once the lid is in an appropriate position, liberally apply the duct tape acquired earlier to the trunk lid all the way down on to the bumper

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
go to the hardware store, buy a role of duct tape, put your left hand on the top of the trunk lid and gently exert a downward force on the lid. once the lid is in an appropriate position, liberally apply the duct tape acquired earlier to the trunk lid all the way down on to the bumper
#merica :rofl:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same exact problem with the 2010 750i Xdrive. The sensor inside the trunk lock is bad causing the control module to think the trunk is still closed; reason for trunk lights to be out and close buttons not working. I had to replace the TRUNK LID LOCK (TOP), part number 51-24-7-269-543. Dealer wanted to charge me $550 for parts and labor but was able to get it fixed under CPO warranty (after many days of complaining to BMW HQ).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, that is what the problem was, the catch switch thought it was closed, keeping the light off. I got a replacement off ebay £50, (BMW wanted £350 just for the part) I tried to dismantle the old catch, to see what had failed, but it seems quite flimsy so amazed more are not packing up.

·
Registered
2015 BMW 750li
9 Posts
Thank You both!!!

I had the same exact problem with the 2010 750i Xdrive. The sensor inside the trunk lock is bad causing the control module to think the trunk is still closed; reason for trunk lights to be out and close buttons not working. I had to replace the TRUNK LID LOCK (TOP), part number 51-24-7-269-543. Dealer wanted to charge me $550 for parts and labor but was able to get it fixed under CPO warranty (after many days of complaining to BMW HQ).
Thanks so much for the info to both of you - really save me time and money having to go through different components to troubleshoot this. I have a 750i with the exact problem and replaced the trunk lid tonight. I found a new OEM from ECS Tuning for $250 US and works good now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 F01 had the exact same issue and the part was available on Amazon for $90. It fixed the problem. Thanks for the information.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts