BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone.
I have a BMW f11 2014, 2.0. Recently I'm having issues with my oil temperature. The thing is, that it seems that my sensor is not working.
Symptoms :
  • On cold start, oil temperature gauge in dash moves to 100 (when I checked in hidden menu, it indeed says 100C but coolant temp is just around 70)
  • Recently ventilator started spinning to max
  • When driving, suddenly oil temperature gauge moves to right sides, Overheating warning pops, and in 3 seconds it's back to 100C
  • There are no signs of overheating, and hidden menu shows that coolant temp is okay (I read somewhere that 100C is being shown when there is no info coming from sensor?)
This started to happen after I drove to Dealership to change EGR (Factory Recall). When I told them that, they said, that previous owner has done something with the sensor cable(it has been soldered) and it seems that the problem should be there. I've checked for multiple hours now and can't find any info where this cable is located, to actually check it..

Can't find reasonable information on this matter in forums as well. Does anyone have ideas, similar issues? Any help is greatly appreciated.

NOTE : I know you may tell to go back to dealership and make them check it, but in my country dealership service is unreasonably pricey\
IMG_1524.jpg IMG_1525.jpg

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,140 Posts
The Oil Temp Bulb, as with virtually all Temp Sensors is like a a Resistor, warmer more resistance, colder less… So it may help to measure the resistance on the Sensor itself, most likely though you have a bad connection somewhere which you already have pretty much figured out.

Try and find where that Solder joint is and inspect. Use a Spare Parts outfit like REOLEM or whatever it’s called in US, I just have in German and would need exact model car and motor. 520i or 528 ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, long story short. After some thinking, checked everything whats next to EGR. And yes, I found the sensor and yes, the fault was with the sensor cable. Really bad work from previous service center. It was bent like crazy, so had to reveld the cables. Now everything is good. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts