BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 265 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys choose out of the three (3 series, a4, c class)? I know you're going to be biased but try to be objective. Does the new 3 series live up to the hype? From what I've been reading it sure looks like it. From a pure drivers perspective view, is it the most fun to drive?

· Registered
4,253 Posts
Some pros and cons based on my test drives.

C class

Pros
- Availability of distronic braking.
- Most comfortable seats (at least the ones in the coupe).
Cons
- No manual.
- Drivers side mirror doesn't adjust to where I
can minimize blind spots.

A4

No significant pros or cons as I see it.
Nothing about it "wows" me, other than
the exterior looks (but I'm going to be inside).
Gauges are funky (80 mph at 1/3 position).

3 series

Pros
- Best interior.
- Best handling.
- Best MPG.
Cons
- Run flats.

All 3 are good. You have to drive them and see which excites you most.

· Registered
179 Posts
I test drove an A4, G37x and a BMW F30/N20. I decided on the F30/N20 because it in my opinion will be the vehicle that I will look forward to driving every day. The A4 was a little boring and only produced 211 HP; while the BMW produced 240 HP and I could really tell the difference. The G37x was the vehicle I almost went with because of the value proposition price/features; but the 6 cylinder mpg is much lower. The MB was not even on my radar.....all of the reviews I read, did not give MB a thumbs up, when compared with the BMW. Good luck on your decision.

· Registered
812 Posts
The A4 only exits me in S4 trim. Other than that I found it to be pretty boring.

· BMW Platinum Visa® Member
9,089 Posts
What would you guys choose out of the three (3 series, a4, c class)? I know you're going to be biased but try to be objective. Does the new 3 series live up to the hype? From what I've been reading it sure looks like it. From a pure drivers perspective view, is it the most fun to drive?
Audi A4: Perceived as a rebadged Volkswagen Passat, a faux luxury car for a new college grad. Status Grade F

Mercedes Benz C: Perceived as the poor-man's Benz, no sporting heritage, the wife's car. Status Grade C

BMW 3 Series: perceived as a youthful, hip luxury sedan, great sporting heritage for the established yuppie. Status Grade A

Only one of these cars is a status-symbol yet is ass-kickingly fun to drive. It's a no brainer.

BJ

· Registered
179 Posts
Audi A4: Perceived as a rebadged Volkswagen Passat, a faux luxury car for a new college grad. Status Grade F

Mercedes Benz C: Perceived as the poor-man's Benz, no sporting heritage, the wife's car. Status Grade C

BMW 3 Series: perceived as a youthful, hip luxury sedan, great sporting heritage for the established yuppie. Status Grade A

Only one of these cars is a status-symbol yet is ass-kickingly fun to drive. It's a no brainer.

BJ
I agree with your comparison of an Audi and VW.

I have a real issue with an OEM who likes to charge 10-20K more for fancier trim and different sheet metal; when the platform are common between brands:

VW/Audi
Toyota/Lexus
Honda/Acura

Now some may contend that it is the same for other brand who have multiple sales channels; but the platforms are not common:

Mini/BMW
Smart/Mercedes

· Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,550 Posts
Look up my thread I just posted about my Drive for Team USA. I'm a BMW fanboy, but I'm pretty objective when it comes to comparing the cars.

· Registered
4,717 Posts
I would drive an A4 Quarttro S Line for a fair comparison.

Although both BMW and MB are not "rebadged," the downside is they do not have the cheaper arms to produce fuel sippers to meet the CAFE standard, so they have to build eco cars from within their own ranks. Why do you think BJ complains about ED and his ASS? This does not happen for Audi or Infiniti, or Cadillac.

· Registered
616 Posts
i dont think any a4 competes with the 3 series. The Merc does but it's not a driver-centric car.

· Registered
179 Posts
Although status symbol is probably a "D" or so what about a VW CC? The '13 looks nice and is reasonably priced, just throwin it out there. I'd still go with the bimmer, one with angel eyes! :)
This should be a concern about VW as a brand... Initial Quality Survey in the first 90 days.
VW is close to the bottom of the barrel in terms of IQS results:

Look at this website and scroll to the bottom of the page.... VW CC will be in the repair shop more than most cars...

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/quality-press-release.htm

1 - 20 of 265 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.