BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW remote start F15 X5

BMW now offering a new after sales Remote Engine Start (REns) system for the F15 X5 and F10 5 Series. The new BMW remote engine start is the perfect solution for those who prefer to warm up, or cool down their car before setting out on their journey. The system utilizes your existing key fob and is activated with three presses of the lock button. The system first checks with the vehicle to make sure it is safe to start before remotely initiating engine ignition.

Remote Engine Start Benefits
The BMW remote engine start is fully integrated into your BMW's electrical system and key fob and does not require carrying additional remotes.
  • Warm up or cool down your BMW from the convenience of your own home or office
  • Intuitive and seamless from your existing key
  • Easy to use - Simply push the luck button two times, then press and hold it a third time for about 1-2 seconds to remote start your BMW
  • Your BMW will run for up to 20 minutes before automatically shutting down for safety
  • Can be added to a new or used vehicle

For remote starting all windows, doors and the sunroof must be closed and the vehicle locked. The electronic parking brake must be engaged with the transmission in park. The vehicle cannot have any check engine lights or be low on fuel.

Installation requires an BMW key fob to be integrated into the Remote Engine Start unit (BMW PN 64 50 2 408 984). The remote start unit is $525.00 if you want to use an existing key. A complete remote start kit for the F15 X5 is $890.00. Installation time is approximately 1.5 hours so the total cost will end up slightly north of $1000.00. Not cheap, but for a factory approved remote start system it is worth it.

BMW is currently only supporting the F15 X5 and F10 5 Series but I expect if there is interest this will be expanded to additional models.

Attachments

·
Mmmmmm…
589 Posts
I was just talking to some people about getting a remote start system installed and what do you know!

Sadly losing the spare key won't be any fun...

Interesting that we need to seal a key into the unit... so wondering if say we lose a key and want all the keys reprogrammed, do we need to a new remote start system?!

·
They call 'em rigs here
859 Posts
Interesting. I take it that this "remote" start isn't very remote, given that you need to be within range of the key fob, which as we all know, isn't much more than 30 or 40 feet. I would love to be able to do this over the BMW Connected app. I'm not sure being able to start it 5 seconds before I was going to get there anyway is worth the money or trouble. (Unless I'm missing something). Better than nothing, and maybe this is a step in that direction and we will be able to do this over the app someday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe pressing lock three times through the connected app will activate remote start?

I will be getting this installed; is there a part number or are all dealers aware?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Expensive but nice if you need it. Did you guys notice how cute/funny that picture at the top is?? The X5 looks nice and warm/defrosted, but the other 2 cars are frozen!!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I'm betting that within a year this will be available as a factory installed option where permitted (not prohibited by country laws).

·
Mmmmmm…
589 Posts
My local indy that does my installs says there is an existing system that's available from third party that does the exact same thing. Press the lock, lock, and then unlock and it remote starts the car. Also requires sacrificing a key to install it in the car and there is a smartphone app for it that lets your remote start and stop--though I think the app uses Bluetooth not cellular.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My local indy that does my installs says there is an existing system that's available from third party that does the exact same thing. Press the lock, lock, and then unlock and it remote starts the car. Also requires sacrificing a key to install it in the car and there is a smartphone app for it that lets your remote start and stop--though I think the app uses Bluetooth not cellular.
I'm curious about the third party since I've been searching viper dealers with no luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks much for posting. I see the part number isn't coming up on the online dealers websites. I wonder if it's available yet?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Any update on when this will be available? Planning on buying a new X5 at end of the year. Pretty sure they will make it a factory option...after I place my order.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's available now. My dealer quoted me $1190 labor and materials if I used one of my existing keys. Pretty pricey.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another $300 if you wanted to buy another key to go with it so you retain your second/spare.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So my dealer informed me that they believe that this is not available for the X5 xDrive40e because you can control the heating and a/c from the BMW App. (Makes sense) Can anyone confirm?

Thanks..

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's the same kit for all X5's. You can't start your car from the app so I'm not sure how that makes sense?
From the webpage for the BMW Apps;
With BMW ConnectedDrive drivers have remote access to their vehicle via the BMW Call Centre or the My BMW Remote App.

[snip]

In the "Climate" menu you can turn on the auxiliary heating* or auxiliary ventilation**. The remote function also allows drivers to sound the horn and flash the lights in order to find the vehicle in a large car park. In addition, the Vehicle Finder shows the car's current position on a map on a smartphone.

[snip]

* This requires the optional equipment item auxiliary heating.
** Depending on the series and model, some vehicles require additional optional equipment for automatic air conditioning in order to operate the "Climate-auxiliary ventilation" function.
I guess my dealer is saying the the 40e comes with the optional equipment for both remote heating and a/c. I would tend to agree that if this is the case, getting the remote start doesn't really seem to provide any additional benefits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this the type of remote start similar to VWs where after remote started, when you enter the car, engine shuts off then you have to start it again? Or can you walk in the vehicle and"enable" it without shutting the engine off?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 20 of 46 Posts