BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
***8221;x5 fp recall***8221;

In-Tank Fuel Pump Safety Recall for Model Year 2008-2012 BMW 5 Series, 5 Series Gran Turismo, 6 Series, X5 SAV, X6 SAC

BMW is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall involving certain Model Year 2007 - 2012 vehicles. This involves the fuel delivery module which contains the in-tank fuel pump. Over time, the electrical connectors may become damaged. Approximately 136,188 vehicles are affected by this recall.

BMW finally released their own X5 Remote Start system!

Reports so far indicate the plastic around the fuel pump electrical wires and connectors at the top of the pump are melting. There is so little oxygen inside the tank that it cannot just light on fire and explode like one would think. As the leak location is at the top of the tank fuel leaking is highly unlikely while driving, most likely you'll get a gas smell while refueling. Additionally if the wire insulation melts the fuel pump can short out and stop working. We're being told this is not a new issue and dealerships have been replacing these pumps for some time due to the pins overheating and causing contact issues.

BMW is sending out recall notices in December. BMW owners may check to see if their specific car is under recall at any time by visiting http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/safetyrecalls.aspx and entering their vehicle identification number (VIN). There is need or reason to contact your service department right now as BMW does not have repair instructions, parts or warranty information at this time. Updates will be added to the thread as they becoming available.

Thinking about a new X5? Complete Model Year 2017 BMW X5 Order and Pricing information

BMW Fuel Pump Recall Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Which BMW models in the US are potentially affected by this Safety Recall?
Approximately 136,188 BMW models in the US, as noted below, are potentially affected.

BMW X5 fuel pump recall

Q2. What is the specific issue?
This safety recall involves the in-tank fuel pump. Over time, the fuel pump connector may become damaged.

Q3. What can happen as a result of this issue?
If the fuel pump connector becomes damaged, a fuel odor may be noticed. This could also lead to a fuel leak during refueling, or when cornering while driving. The fuel pump could also stop working and lead to a no start or stalling condition in the vehicle.

Q4. How did BMW become aware of this issue?
BMW became aware of this issue through its quality control procedures.

Q5. Why are other BMW vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
Other vehicles have a different fuel pump.

Q6. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
If you notice a fuel odor or a fuel leak after recently refueling, your vehicle may be experiencing this issue. Additionally, if your vehicle does not start, or stalls while driving, your vehicle may be experiencing this issue. If this occurs, have the vehicle brought to the nearest authorized BMW center.

Q7. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, when you receive a letter asking you to have this service performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.

Q8. How will my vehicle be repaired?
The fuel pump will be replaced.

Q9. Is BMW aware of any accidents or injuries involving these BMW vehicles associated with this Safety Recall?
No.

Q10. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
If your vehicle is affected, you will receive a letter in December via First Class mail advising you of this recall. You will receive another letter when parts become available. At such time, you should immediately schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center for service and repair. Locate your preferred BMW center at www.bmwusa.com/dealer.

To ensure BMW of North America, LLC has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your BMW vehicle.

Q11. How long will the repair take?
This repair may take several hours; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center's schedule. The repair will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW center.

Q12. Do I have to wait for my letter in order to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW is in the process of implementing this program to ensure that the necessary parts, tools and procedures are available at its authorized BMW centers, prior to contacting you to schedule your vehicle to have this safety recall performed. For the latest updates to this recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall.

Q13. I see the "TREAD Act Customer Reimbursement Plan" attached to my letter. Can you explain what that is about? Am I eligible for reimbursement?
If you have already had this repair performed at your own expense, you may be eligible for reimbursement of certain expenses that you incurred.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
From further detailed year/model breakdown I saw, dont think the diesels are included at all only gas versions. Wish my 2008 E60 was included as I want to change the fuel filter but its part of the fricken pump in the tank....

Interesting development!

I've got a 10/10 production date on my '11 X5D. Looks like I should be "in the clear".

·
Registered
79 Posts
You'll be able to tell if you have the problem, there will be a strong gas oder, especially with a full tank, near the passenger side rear door or in the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
From further detailed year/model breakdown I saw, dont think the diesels are included at all only gas versions. Wish my 2008 E60 was included as I want to change the fuel filter but its part of the fricken pump in the tank....
My 2010 diesel is included in the recall, but the 2012 isn't. Use this web site to check on recalls
http://bmw-rp.com/production/isg/bmw/reimbursement_bmw_portal.nsf This web site gives an indirect way to check on recalls.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hey guys, the repair can be done anywhere (not just dealer) to receive reimbursement via the Tread act, correct?? My Indy did this $650 repair a few months ago for me...

·
Registered
858 Posts
I was planning to change the fuel pump (part of my fuel economy improvement plan), then I recalled checking for recalls, and having this recall pending.

Has anyone received any letter / update regarding this recall?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,115 Posts
Hey guys, the repair can be done anywhere (not just dealer) to receive reimbursement via the Tread act, correct?? My Indy did this $650 repair a few months ago for me...
I know this is an old post, but just to address:

Once BMW informs you there is a recal they do not need to pay for 'non dealer' repairs done AFTER that date.

They will reimburse for work done anywhere, if it was prior to the notice.

I was planning to change the fuel pump (part of my fuel economy improvement plan), then I recalled checking for recalls, and having this recall pending.

Has anyone received any letter / update regarding this recall?
You 'recalled the recall'? :angel:

Also, I seem to recall that this issue could lead to a leak in the evap hose, leading to codes AND failure of the DMTL pump. Is that correct? Anyone know?

·
Registered
858 Posts
You 'recalled the recall'? :angel:

Also, I seem to recall that ....
LOL

I know this is an old post, but just to address:
Once BMW informs you there is a recal they do not need to pay for 'non dealer' repairs done AFTER that date.
They will reimburse for work done anywhere, if it was prior to the notice.
So, do NOT go to Indy repair shops to get this proactively fixed, as BMW won't reimburse!

Also, I seem to recall that this issue could lead to a leak in the evap hose, leading to codes AND failure of the DMTL pump. Is that correct? Anyone know?
According to NHTSA:
If the fuel pump connector becomes damaged, a fuel odor may be noticed. This could also lead to a fuel leak during refueling, or when cornering while driving. The fuel pump could also stop working and lead to a no start or stalling condition in the vehicle.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,115 Posts
According to NHTSA:
All NHSTA does is regurgitate what BMW states.... and their interest is error that lead to the car stopping in the road or creating a risk,

Here is what I was referencing:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984111&highlight=dmtl+pump

·
Registered
858 Posts
I guess I have an update:

Dealer called me and stated the fuel pump has arrived (is available) for my vin number.

Appointment was made for Wednesday, it supposedly takes a couple of hours.

They will perform the passenger air bag recall too.

I initially called them last Friday to make an appointment for the passenger air bag only. Didn’t know the fuel part is available too! they said they need to order it. And seems like they have both parts now!

If you haven’t done these recalls, I’d suggest calling your dealer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got this recall done at the dealer yesterday. This is the part number they replaced 16-11-7-934-456
anybody know if the fuel filter also gets replaced with this recall ?

I read somewhere that the E70 fuel filter is built into the fuel pump unit, but the part number above isn't giving any picture or other details other than , "delivery unit with IN-TANK"

·
Registered
858 Posts
Got this recall done at the dealer yesterday. This is the part number they replaced 16-11-7-934-456
anybody know if the fuel filter also gets replaced with this recall ?

I read somewhere that the E70 fuel filter is built into the fuel pump unit, but the part number above isn't giving any picture or other details other than , "delivery unit with IN-TANK"
That was my question too!

Apparently (according to realOEM) the filter is built into the pump. Once pump is replaced, filter is also replaced.

However according to ISTA+ there is an external filter too. Outer fuel filter that is located on the driver side underneath, and is covered by the underneath covers.

I haven't inspected it. So I don't have an answer for it.

Did research it, ( youtube google) and I was not able to find a video on outer fuel filter.

I don't have any symptoms of fuel delivery issues, therefore I ended my investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,115 Posts

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,192 Posts
I have 2011 E70 x35i. Submitted the vin here and it says my x5 is not affected. http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/cont...spx?mobileoverride=true&vin=5uxzv4c52bl743251

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I'm in the same boat, BMW says mine's not covered. However, my service records say fuel pump was replaced warranty just before car was CPO'd. I've got a grey, circular sticker on the b pillar below the towing sticker with the number 581 punched. At one time BMW used these stickers to indicate the car was repaired under a campaign of some sort. It's not clear if this is the fuel pump or some other repair. Any stickers on yours?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,115 Posts
^FWIW..

They still have the stickers, but most techs don't install them, they rely on the BMW Info system to track it. I'm old school, so mine has all the stickers....my comment to the SA was 'not all of us have access to your system...' ;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Any chance yours was already corrected?

Dont know if BMWNA removes the vin once it has been completed....
BMWNA removes the VIN# from their database upon receipt of confirmation from dealer.

It'd more accurate to say the VIN is removed from their database once recall fix is concluded.

My car only shows one open recall ((PCV) VALVE HEATER).

I had dealer to do previous recalls (In Tank Fuel Pump, Pass. and Driver Airbags)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts