BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Going Japanese?

1149 10
Ok so here's my problem with some of the new BMW styling. It really does look Japanes. Look at the back end of the 6-series, part of it is stolen directly from the Nissan lineup. Especially note the upper part of the trunk. Here's a side by side. I like the classic BMW look of the E46 and its brethren.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
There's no way you can compare a BMW 6 to a Nissan Altima. There is NO similarity. I do agree with you on liking the E46 better. But I'm biased.
Ive noticed the same similarities between the Pontiac Fiero and a Ferrari Testarosa. :confused:
icemanjs4 said:
Ok so here's my problem with some of the new BMW styling. It really does look Japanes. Look at the back end of the 6-series, part of it is stolen directly from the Nissan lineup. Especially note the upper part of the trunk. Here's a side by side. I like the classic BMW look of the E46 and its brethren.
Bangle is a complete idiot. A pretentious "artist" who thinks the car is some sort of a canvas for ideas that have nothing to do with the automobile.
That's okay. It is payback for when the Japanese ripped of German designs.
Hooydonk designed the new 6,7 and IIRC the Z8.
CharlieG said:
Bangle is a complete idiot. A pretentious "artist" who thinks the car is some sort of a canvas for ideas that have nothing to do with the automobile.
Henrik Fisker designed the Z8.

Hence all the confusion, there are so many different designers that pen different part of each car, it's simply easier to just blame one guy, Bangle.
misterlance said:
Hooydonk designed the new 6,7 and IIRC the Z8.
My sister once told me she thought the BMW 3 series looked alot like the Honda Civic. I think my heart skipped a beat that day.
The new Automobile magazine features an interview with Adrian Van Hooydonk who has been more directly responsible for the new designs than Mr. Bangle, even though Bangle has taken the fall. I have not read it yet, but it should be interesting.
But it's too hard to say "Hooydonk"! Besides, from what I understand it is Bangle who established the culture of design destruction at BMW. Admittedly, they are getting better. The E60 isn't too much worse than the E46...but I think they are "watering down" what they probably really wanted to do with the design.

Henrik Fisker's Z8 is the best car design in at least a decade, IMHO.
I can't agree with the E60/E46 comparison. The eyes are windows into the soul. What does that say about the E60? :p
CharlieG said:
But it's too hard to say "Hooydonk"! Besides, from what I understand it is Bangle who established the culture of design destruction at BMW. Admittedly, they are getting better. The E60 isn't too much worse than the E46...but I think they are "watering down" what they probably really wanted to do with the design.
Henrik Fisker's Z8 is the best car design in at least a decade, IMHO.
:stupid: I could just look at that car all day long. Too bad there isn't one in my drive way. :(
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.