Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Something i noticed last month and this month. For whatever reason X1 is grouped with passenger cars. If it was grouped with SUVs, as i think it should be, passanger car sales are down in 2013 vs 2012. I wonder why BMW groups X1 with sedans and coupes and if the decrease is a trend accross the industry or specific to BMW. F30 continues to slide as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Something i noticed last month and this month. For whatever reason X1 is grouped with passenger cars. If it was grouped with SUVs, as i think it should be, passanger car sales are down in 2013 vs 2012. I wonder why BMW groups X1 with sedans and coupes and if the decrease is a trend accross the industry or specific to BMW. F30 continues to slide as well.
No. Passenger car sales would be 15957. That would still be a 9.2% increase over last april.

Edit:

I see. For YTD, yes they would be down.

I think it's because it's not really an SUV. It's more like a wagon. It's built on the E90 chassis IIRC.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Most of the decline probably is attributable to reduced 3er coupe and convertible sales as their production winds down.

·
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
9,049 Posts
Most of the decline probably is attributable to reduced 3er coupe and convertible sales as their production winds down.
+1

It's historic, we've discussed it in many other threads, the impending change to a new bodystyle wrecks a calendar year of Coupe/Vert sales.

BJ

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
+1

It's historic, we've discussed it in many other threads, the impending change to a new bodystyle wrecks a calendar year of Coupe/Vert sales.

BJ
Isn't this a bit poor planning, when the vert season is upon us? Of course the same point was also made about the lack of the xdrives right before the last snow season:)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Last months, it was a 10.x% decline compared to the same time last year, now it's 8.x%. It will shrink even more or be gone altogether next month. The X1 is E90 based, maybe that is why they consider it a car.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's because it's not really an SUV. It's more like a wagon. It's built on the E90 chassis IIRC.
Last months, it was a 10.x% decline compared to the same time last year, now it's 8.x%. It will shrink even more or be gone altogether next month. The X1 is E90 based, maybe that is why they consider it a car.
I am not 100% sure, but isn't X3 based on the 3er as well?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but isn't X3 based on the 3er as well?
X1 should be in the same category as all other X lines. It makes no sense to put it in the car category, unless BMW is trying to artificially boost the car sales image.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
X1 should be in the same category as all other X lines. It makes no sense to put it in the car category, unless BMW is trying to artificially boost the car sales image.
Maybe its a volume-interior wise thing? How does the EPA classify it?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
I'm not commenting on how the X1 should be categorized, but it is the only one of the "X" models that is available in RWD format in addition to AWD.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
This is obviously a trend and if it continues at this rate by 2089 BMW will onlly be selling 9 3 Series per month.

CA

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't this a bit poor planning, when the vert season is upon us? Of course the same point was also made about the lack of the xdrives right before the last snow season:)
Valid points, but few factors should be noted.
Coupes make up a rather small percentage as compared to sedans and they are being very agreessively pushed by the dealers currently to clear inventory. While certain customers might postpone the purchase until the new model is available, there are also those who will take advantage of the discounts on the outgoing model.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,517 Posts
This is obviously a trend and if it continues at this rate by 2089 BMW will onlly be selling 9 3 Series per month.
True, but adjusting for inflation those will be the 13.5 Series in current-year model designations, so it evens out. :dunno:

·
Registered
277 Posts

All of this Efficient Dynamics crap doesn't help the sales I can tell you, or the AH3.

Competition is fierce in this segment. Yes, it probably 50% the coupe/vert switch over but the rest are some great cars from the Germans.

After 3 months I have only seen 2 other 335i F30s, so I like seeing the sales down.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts