BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately despite the high price tag, sound system in bimmers, even in high end ones is mediocre at best. For example the new 7 series sound system has iPhone airplay and all connectivities built into it, but sounds horrible. My 7 Logic system is much better but still not a lot of power and not a shining star.:cry:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/the-top-10-cars-for-audiophiles

·
Registered
673 Posts
Germans have never had great stereos until Audi hooked up with Bose. I have had 7 MB and 4 BMW one with Harmon Kardon- not great and most have been awful. The Logic 7 I have now is the very good (radio quality stinks, CD and Aux are great).

Bluetooth streaming is nice but it has to sound good to be of any value. Too bad BMW and MB are behind the times on stereos but set the curve in other areas.

I will give BMW credit for innovation on developing laser (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emitted Radiation) light technology to be introduced within 2 years. Article

In 1998 they developed the upper seat shoulder adjustment (Comfort seats) something Lexus just introduced on its 2012 GS (14 years late).

Edit: My L7 is also the best factory unit in any car I have had- it should be given that it stickered at $92K (should have had USB standard in 2008)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm VERY happy with my Logic 7 system. It's the best sounding stereo I've ever had - and I've had a lot of cars and aftermarket stereos. Everyone who hears my system comments how great it sounds.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm VERY happy with my Logic 7 system. It's the best sounding stereo I've ever had - and I've had a lot of cars and aftermarket stereos. Everyone who hears my system comments how great it sounds.
I don't imagine that to be true for radio if it is like mine. CD quality is great.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Logic 7 is great when working well and set up properly.
Excellent point. I found a link on Google that had the perfect settings. I'll try and post it. Makes an enormous difference.

I don't imagine that to be true for radio if it is like mine
Hmmm, yeah I dunno. I don't expect much from radio in general. I will say that reception is astounding. For example, I listen to KGO in San Francisco on my commute. I live in Canada 200 miles North of Seattle......a total of 1000 miles.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Excellent point. I found a link on Google that had the perfect settings. I'll try and post it. Makes an enormous difference.

Hmmm, yeah I dunno. I don't expect much from radio in general. I will say that reception is astounding. For example, I listen to KGO in San Francisco on my commute. I live in Canada 200 miles North of Seattle......a total of 1000 miles.
Post up the picture buddy! Mine sounds great as it is but I am interested in this enormous difference :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of German car's sound systems stink despite the high price tag!

L7 is ok in quality but not enough juice (not much RMS).
Mercedes is much better than BMW, I have a 2005 MB SL500 and has a really nice Bose system on it.
It is sad to see that Mazda and Mitsubishi is on the top 10 audiophile cars but not BMW!
Even the Hyundai Genesis has a kick ass audio system that is much better than BMW 750 LI in 2011! Shame on German car producers, it should be a default for them to offer top notch sound system and they should have set the standard for luxury cars!:mad:

·
Registered
673 Posts
L7 is ok in quality but not enough juice (not much RMS).
Mercedes is much better than BMW, I have a 2005 MB SL500 and has a really nice Bose system on it.
It is sad to see that Mazda and Mitsubishi is on the top 10 audiophile cars but not BMW!
Even the Hyundai Genesis has a kick ass audio system that is much better than BMW 750 LI in 2011! Shame on German car producers, it should be a default for them to offer top notch sound system and they should have set the standard for luxury cars!:mad:
They did set the standard for safety but at these prices I agree, they should lead in audio as well. It used to be said when my 87 300e had a terrible Becker radio and the 88 Beretta Delco blew it out if the water that Germans did not care about audio because they listened to a lot of talk radio.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here ya go Suri:

Getting the most from Logic7 sound system.

We refer to it as the "Spatial Reference" effect. Here's how to get it.
Through the "Memory" menu in the Entertainment section of the iDrive Control Display, select the "Logic 7" item. You'll note a scale from 1 to 10. By selecting this scale, you can influence the sound to affect how your ears hear the voice and instruments, by varying the extent of the surround sound. It sets the level of Logic 7 processing.

You will notice with it completely off, that the voices come from the left and right speakers, as you turn up the Logic 7 processing, notice how the stage draws closer to the center of your windshield and that's where you hear the voices coming from instead of the left and right doors.

It's important that you set the Logic 7 function to 7-10 (depending on your preferences) to get the full benefit of "surround sound". Otherwise, you'll hear the sound from the individual speakers. The Logic 7 digitizes it and makes you feel as though the sound source is all around you. It really makes the system kick...

Recommended Stereo/Equalizer settings.

Here are settings that contributors found to work best:

EQ:
100hz: +3
200hz: +6
500hz: +7
1Khz: +3
2Khz: +5
5Khz: +9
10Khz: +10

(bar on the zero middle line DOES NOT count, so these are +3 bars, +6 bars, etc)
Treble = Setting 5
Bass = Setting 5
Logic7 = Setting 7

·
Registered
673 Posts
Nice work RF. going to see of these settings improve on what I did by ear. I'll holla back tomorrow. I expect this to be an improvement on my settings. Just curious, if L7 is on 7 would 10 not be better. If 7 were the max would one reduce it from the max by 30%.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No actually if you go above a certain number, your high frequency sounds becomes kind of dull. I suggest that you optimize the equalizer to your likings, then play with L7 level and you will find the right level.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Found L7 set to 10 is best for my ears. On 7, there is too much sound coming off the windshield (no change to fader or balance). I like the eq. settings

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I agree it is a great system when working properly, but recently, I have been hearing this weird distortion. It kind of sounds like the speakers are cutting a little power for a brief second and then coming back. It continues until I turn the power off and then back on. It kind of sounds like the sound is going out of focus, if that makes any sense! I thought it may be the amp and I just had that replaced last month but the problem is still occurring :( any ideas gentlemen? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.