BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Doin Work
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally gave in and ordered 8000k HID lights for my BMW X3. I ordered to do both my lows and fogs...and also decided to mount a led daytime running strip....i also included some pics of entering the dust cover correctly!! Came out awesome...very clean and bright! I have helped a few people around town during these conversions at my shop Ultra Audioworks...and once you go HID you never can go back..lol

Attachments

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
I finally gave in and ordered 8000k HID lights for my BMW X3. I ordered to do both my lows and fogs...and also decided to mount a led daytime running strip....i also included some pics of entering the dust cover correctly!! Came out awesome...very clean and bright! I have helped a few people around town during these conversions at my shop Ultra Audioworks...and once you go HID you never can go back..lol
They look pretty bright! Self-leveling I hope!

Don't blind anyone!

·
Registered
693 Posts
They look pretty bright! Self-leveling I hope!

Don't blind anyone!
The problem with these kits is that the resulting light pattern is all over the place (and mostly in eyes of on-coming drivers). Halogen headlight assembly is simply not made for xenon bulbs and cannot concentrate the light well (without the projector lens).

IMHO, this type of conversion should be illegal.

·
Doin Work
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol

The picture shows both my fog lights and low beams.....the low beams by themselves, which how i usually drive is no brighter than the next guy. When the fogs are on during FOG it works very well...if used for the wrong reasons, i agree, but if used properly they are perfect.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here is a lot of lighting info

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

You need to make sure you have set up an adjustment system on a flat system, measured per the specs. You also need to get someone to drive towards you on the open road for a good assessment of your effect on oncoming drivers. Are you sure the 8000k does the trick on backroads?

·
Doin Work
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
plug and play

Yes it is a plug and play kit that was fairly simple to install. I bought the x5 for my low beams and a GP thunder Prro kit for my fogs. The initial reasoning on ordering the two different brands was to compare the quality vs. The cost. GP is about 50 percent cheaper....so I would have carryed them in my store....unfortunantly the GP can't hang with the X5 lights...yes a small flicker in the drivers side and they are just not as clean looking....otherwise the lows are great...plug and play kit with awesome results....

·
Registered
65 Posts
The flicker can be fixed if an inline relay is used. basically you use your current headlight wiring for a signal to operate the relay. The relay has a heaver gauge wire coming from a 12V source under the hood. This will supply enough power to the ballasts to keep the flicker from happening.

I have factory Xenons and dont suggest the aftermarket kits because they do blind on coming traffic. BUT I do use them for off-road use on my ATV/Bikes etc. I do think that putting them in the fog lights of the BMW is a good idea. I dont think this would blind on coming traffic but would need to test this before I would install permanently.

ddmtuning.com has good quality kits for a good price with lifetime warranties on their bulbs and ballasts. I would NOT go more than the 35W kit because I have had issues with heat on the 55W kits. Also, I think that the 6k is the clearest and closest color to the factory. Somewhere between 6k-8k will be close.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Sigh, another blinding, light scattering, purple POS headlight mod.
and yet they all claim it's "not that bad". from the driver's seat of their SUV, no less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts