BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealer to pick up some BMW oil the other day, and noticed that the label on the containers is different.

They used to say "BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil", and now they say "BMW High Performance Full Synthetic Oil".

Anyone know what changed?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd guess the label.
Or maybe they're using a different Castrol formulation that isn't a Grp III hydro-cracked dino oil?

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
I believe the old stuff may have been only part-synthetic.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I thought BMW synthetic was Mobil 1, did they change?

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dawg90 said:
I thought BMW synthetic was Mobil 1, did they change?
It has always been Castrol, as far as I know.

Mobil 1 doesn't actually meet BMW's requirements, at least not the stuff they sell in the states.

·
ZOMGHI2U
225 Posts
avalys said:

Mobil 1 doesn't actually meet BMW's requirements, at least not the stuff they sell in the states.
Mobil 1 0W-40 meets BMW LL-01

While BMW does not use Mobil 1 as "factory fill," BMW does list Mobil 1 among its recommended lubricants, and perhaps more to the point, Mobil 1 0W-40 with SuperSyn exceeds the BMW LL specification.
Link

As for the name change, perhaps the new oil is now grp IV. AFAIK, the BMW dealer oil 5W-30 is grp III and was definitely not up to the task for the crazy 15,000 mile oil change intervals. :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
avalys said:

Mobil 1 meets BMW's oil requirements but Mobil would not allow BMW to re-badge the oil as BMW synthetic. BMW then went to Castrol which was glad to create BMW's oil.

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
ShifterKart said:
Mobil 1 meets BMW's oil requirements but Mobil would not allow BMW to re-badge the oil as BMW synthetic. BMW then went to Castrol which was glad to create BMW's oil.
:loco:

It's a marketing agreement, Castrol provides many other factory fill fluids and like it was mentioned 100 times before not every Mobil 1 oil meets BMW specs.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
ShifterKart said:
In the US the only Mobil oils that meet ACEA A3/B3 specs (as required by BMW) are the 0W-40 and 15W-50. Also many of their oils are not certified to BMW LL01 specs either.

So basically most of Mobil oils do NOT meet BMW specs.

Not they are bad oils, in fact I prefer them, but for a car under warranty, it is a consideration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts