BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My order just moved to Production Scheduled so I am starting to get serious about charging options.

I have noticed that both the BMW i Wallbox and i Wallbox Connect are unavailable from BMW and only the i Wallbox is available on Amazon.com. Before moving on, I asked my dealer what charging solution is best and got a response equivalent of a blank stare. Please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed to death but I'd like to purchase and install the best permanent wall charger that is available.

Can anyone tell me the best option on the market right now?

·
Registered
2021 BMW X5 40i xDrive 07.2020.54
24 Posts
Take a look at either the Charge Point Home Flex, Juice Box 48, or something at Clipper Creek. All top chargers just depends on what features you are interested in. I bought the Charge Point Home Flex. Awesome unit so far

·
Registered
22 Posts
The best option will likely be subjective depending on the buyer. For my wife's X3 30e we got a Clipper Creek Level one charger. The way she uses the car this works out well for us and it avoided the expense of getting a 220 line, for a level 2 charger, to where we wanted to mount the unit. A level two charger does allow you to charge the car more quickly and there is a tax credit available if it is installed by Dec 31, 2020. Clipper Creek is a very good brand. I personally would use a "dumb" charger and program the car if you want specific time of day charging or other more complicated charging options. IMO a programable charger adds more complexity than value. Be sure the unit has a long cord so you can charge the car in various locations. The Clipper Creek has a 25 foot cord and we can charge the car in either the garage or out in the driveway.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The X5's charging is done in the vehicle where it converts the supplied ACV to DCV to charge the batteries...the external box is basically a smart on/off/safety switch. Think of it as a fancy extension cord. As a result, they're all pretty much the same except for how much current they can supply, how long the cable is (a big portion of the cost), and if they have any smarts to them such as WiFi connectivity for monitoring/control/firmware update (not really necessary on the 'dumb' ones), and aesthetics.

Obviously, you want reliable components, and there are a few Made in the USA brands out there (Clipper Creek is one).

To get the fastest possible charging with your new X5, you'll need a unit that is called level 2 (basically, uses a 240vac supply in the USA), and can provide at least 16A. More will not charge this X5 faster, but your next vehicle may be able to utilize more. You won't damage anything by having a larger (or smaller) unit, neither the vehicle nor the unit. Larger won't charge faster when it can supply more than 16A, but smaller will slow it down. The supplied unit is a 120vac device that can provide 10A. That's a max of 1200W. The vehicle can accept up to 3700W and 16A which means that if your input voltage is more than 231.25-vac, you'll be maxing out the X5's charging capacity.

Then, you have to decide if you want to plug it in, or hard-wire it. The units are the same in most cases, and you can convert one to the other, but those with a plug cost a little more. If you're going to mount it out in the weather, you need one designed for that. You want the cable to be long enough so that it isn't under stress when connected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts