As BMW (and the rest of the automotive world) clamor to make electric cars, there's a period of experimentation that comes before more cost-effective and often better chassis can be developed. The i3 and the i8 may fall behind with the next step.

Speaking to Automotive News at the New York International Auto Show, BMW's head of electric powertrains, Stefan Juraschek, said that the cars' futures are still unsure.

"These cars are very unique," said Juraschek. "These two cars were not [developed] as a family that we can expand in different [ways] or maybe five or 10 derivatives."

Juraschek explained to Automotive News that the cars were more like rolling showcases than profit-driving products. Rather than being a physical basis for future cars, the i3 and i8 were research projects that informed the construction of a more widely usable architecture.

That electric architecture, says Juraschek, will be ready for production vehicles in 2021. From there, BMW will be able to produce numerous cars based on one platform, giving them the economies of scale that make such a project profitable.

As a result, according to Automotive News, killing the i3 and i8 after this generation is still an open decision.

[source: Automotive New]​