BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A road trip in an i3 seems to require a little bit more planning than with a normal car. Making sure you have enough range to make it to a charging station, or just somewhere you can plug is a big concern. However, the i3 REx model, like the one in the video below, eases the range anxiety a bit, by adding some miles with the help of a small gas engine. The enthusiast in the video purchased a lightly used 2014 i3 REx, for an easier to swallow $25k, to use as a primary driver. He does a great job of going through the i3***8217;s charging, coding to get a bit more range and finally the testing the i3 REx***8217;s range on a ~200 mile road trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20faLEl3gws

BMW has kicked the i3 up a notch from the model in the video above, offering up a bit more range to extend those road trips. You can read about the changes to the 2017 i3 here!

BMW delivered more than 100,000 EV and Plug-in hybrid vehicles since BMW i started 3 years ago. Read about it here!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I own two 2015 i3 REX'es, and I am really really happy with them. In fact I traded in my 750 for one of them, and no regrets.

But, I would not use the i3 for any real road trip. The range and convenience is nowhere near to be able to do it comfortably. It can be done if you absolutely have to but I would hate to be the one doing it. A conventional vehicle would do it so much more easily, being in its natural element. I'm taking my Lexus truck for such trips.

On the other hand, the i3 is way more fun, pleasant and comfortable as a city car, and short trip car.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Any review for 2017 REX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only real difference is the larger capacity (and heavier) battery and a few options...the rest of the car did not change.

The next i3 will have a larger yet battery, but reports indicate those batteries will require modification to the battery compartment since they are physically larger. BMW may want to tweak the on-board charging circuits to allow faster charging, and there is some discussion about upping the maximum charge rate from CCS units to maybe as much as 150Kw/hour. The existing modules can't handle that charging rate...maybe the new batteries along with the required charging circuits will...only time will tell. The REx is allowed to turn a bit faster to enable a slightly higher charging rate than the previous versions, but most people probably won't notice. One article indicated on flat-level ground, the break even point might have been raised from 70-75mph when using the REx to maintain the SOC. That number is subjective, as driving technique, winds, temperature, climate control use, lighting, grade, load in the car, and driving style have more of an effect on where that break even point is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts