Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had the OEM adaptor installed today. I'd already prepared 3 playlists last week, and was highly anticipating not having to use CDs anymore in my car.

After paying the $320, I go to my car, plug the Ipod, and nothing happens! According to the manual, a "BMW" scene should appear immediately upon connecting the adaptor. Nothing there. And thru radio, I see no CDC option come up on the Modes to recognize the Ipod. On top of that, I have lost AM reception! I've got some band called kwZ or something. FM and CD are still working.

Any help or tips here to troubleshoot these issues? If not, I'll have to call back and have them fix it. I wonder what they screwed up to lose AM reception like that, on top of the Ipod adaptor not working.

For the record, I have an Ipod Mini I bought last year, with Firmware version 3.1, so that's clearly not the problem. My guess, they installed something incorrectly, but what?

All in all, a very disappointing day indeed. :cry:

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
fso_BamBam said:
So, I had the OEM adaptor installed today. I'd already prepared 3 playlists last week, and was highly anticipating not having to use CDs anymore in my car.

After paying the $320, I go to my car, plug the Ipod, and nothing happens! According to the manual, a "BMW" scene should appear immediately upon connecting the adaptor. Nothing there. And thru radio, I see no CDC option come up on the Modes to recognize the Ipod. On top of that, I have lost AM reception! I've got some band called kwZ or something. FM and CD are still working.

Any help or tips here to troubleshoot these issues? If not, I'll have to call back and have them fix it. I wonder what they screwed up to lose AM reception like that, on top of the Ipod adaptor not working.

For the record, I have an Ipod Mini I bought last year, with Firmware version 3.1, so that's clearly not the problem. My guess, they installed something incorrectly, but what?

All in all, a very disappointing day indeed. :cry:
Seems someone really did a number on your installation. Was this a BMW dealership?

The kwZ mode means you are not in USA mode anymore, it seems someone set the radio to euro mode. Here are the procedures you get you back into USA mode:

1. Turn Radio Off.
2. Turn Radio On.
3. Press and hold the "m" button for about 10 seconds.
4. Press - or + to navigate and your preset buttons to change settings when you are on the MODE screen.
5. When you see Euro, change it to USA.
6. Turn radio off to exit.

This should get your AM reception back. as for the iPod adapter not working, does the BMW logo appear when you plug the iPod in?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tom @ eas said:
Seems someone really did a number on your installation. Was this a BMW dealership?

The kwZ mode means you are not in USA mode anymore, it seems someone set the radio to euro mode. Here are the procedures you get you back into USA mode:

1. Turn Radio Off.
2. Turn Radio On.
3. Press and hold the "m" button for about 10 seconds.
4. Press - or + to navigate and your preset buttons to change settings when you are on the MODE screen.
5. When you see Euro, change it to USA.
6. Turn radio off to exit.

This should get your AM reception back. as for the iPod adapter not working, does the BMW logo appear when you plug the iPod in?
Yeah, I dug up some tips and managed to reset the Area to USA yesterday. So, AM/FM/CD are all working fine now.

The Ipod is still not working and I have another appointment set for this week to have it checked out. Yes, this was a BMW dealership and up until now, they have done very well in all my service visits there (3+ years) that's why I took it there not worrying about anything.

The BMW logo doesn't come up. I tried this with two Ipod Minis, both purchased last year, one with firmware 1.3, the other 1.4.1, the latest. According to the website and manual, the firmware has to be 1.3 or higher, so one of these should've worked. I have the proper playlist setup (BMW1, BMW2, etc), but it doesn't even recognize the connection, so we'll see what they messed up.

For the record, I went this this factory setup for 2 reasons:

1. I only listen to about 200 or so songs on a regular basis, therefore the 5 playlist limit is not an issue.
2. Not seeing the song titles has never bothered me. This is my 2nd Bimmer with H/K, and I always play burned CDs, and the factory system doesn't show titles, either. After a couple of times, I pretty much remember the song titles anyway, so this was another non-issue.

Plus, I figured it's a BMW backed feature, I have an extra Ipod that I can dedicate to the car, so it would be a set it/forget it type of deal in the glove box.

Anyway, I expect the issue to be resolved later this week. I just wonder what the problem might be, everything seems very straight-forward.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure you have the latest software in your Ipod. Don't assume you do, go to Itunes and check for updates. BMW just updated the Ipod adapters and there were some issues with older software versions. I had to update my nano so I could use it for testing. I've also had a few that just didn't work right out of the box. For the techs that don't have their own Ipod there's no way to test, you just install and send it out. I know that sounds bad but if the shop doesn't have an Ipod and the customer doesn't leave theirs what else can you do? FYI the Icelink is the sh!t, worth the money. Tom can hook you up if you dont get the BMW adapter working.

·
Registered
124 Posts
tom @ eas said:
We're about to hook everyone up tonight - more news soon! :thumbup:
HOW SOON?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bolamite said:
Make sure you have the latest software in your Ipod. Don't assume you do, go to Itunes and check for updates. BMW just updated the Ipod adapters and there were some issues with older software versions. I had to update my nano so I could use it for testing. I've also had a few that just didn't work right out of the box. For the techs that don't have their own Ipod there's no way to test, you just install and send it out. I know that sounds bad but if the shop doesn't have an Ipod and the customer doesn't leave theirs what else can you do? FYI the Icelink is the sh!t, worth the money. Tom can hook you up if you dont get the BMW adapter working.
Problem solved, they simply had installed the wrong adaptor initially.

It works now, and I'm happy with the results. The only hassle was having to go once more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts