BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is unbelievable. I bought a 2008 BMW 550i two weeks ago (3rd BMW) and I am getting "Increased Battery Discharge" and the clock resets everyday and its died on my twice. I drive 15 minutes to work and back each day. I have read all the posts about this and the dealer (local and independent) are both telling me I need a battery tender to plug in at night to keep the battery from going because the stupid car doesn't know how to turn off and I NEED to drive more daily. That is bullsh*t. BMW needs to fix the firmware/IBS and replace the batteries of every 5-series. BMW came in very low in the latest quality surveys and I am sure this is a huge reason why. My 2005 545i never did this. They say there are lots of electronics, yea, I bet there are more electronics in a toyota camry or any lexus or a ford flex for that matter. I read their TSM (?) bulletin but there is no reason a 5-series owner should have to go through this stupid procedure every night. BMW should also pay for my electricity to keep the thing running. This is EMBARASSING. We have got to make this a recall. A battery tender is not a solution for my car. Ugh...Frustrating. I have to laugh at myself for being taken like this.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Have you covered the obvious first? You didn't say it so it needs to be asked...

Your car is a model year 2008 which means it was made in 2007. Does this mean you have a battery that is going on nearly 4 years old of which you don't know the history of the battery?

At 15min, you cars electronics are on more than the engine is running.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I wouldn't think you need to charge it every night.battery discharge was only a problem for me when it got cold and me not driving. Maybe one good charge is all you need.. That works for me.. Maybe 550's are different.

·
En Den?
109 Posts
This is unbelievable. I bought a 2008 BMW 550i two weeks ago (3rd BMW) and I am getting "Increased Battery Discharge" and the clock resets everyday and its died on my twice. I drive 15 minutes to work and back each day. I have read all the posts about this and the dealer (local and independent) are both telling me I need a battery tender to plug in at night to keep the battery from going because the stupid car doesn't know how to turn off and I NEED to drive more daily. That is bullsh*t. BMW needs to fix the firmware/IBS and replace the batteries of every 5-series. BMW came in very low in the latest quality surveys and I am sure this is a huge reason why. My 2005 545i never did this. They say there are lots of electronics, yea, I bet there are more electronics in a toyota camry or any lexus or a ford flex for that matter. I read their TSM (?) bulletin but there is no reason a 5-series owner should have to go through this stupid procedure every night. BMW should also pay for my electricity to keep the thing running. This is EMBARASSING. We have got to make this a recall. A battery tender is not a solution for my car. Ugh...Frustrating. I have to laugh at myself for being taken like this.
I feel your pain. I owned my 08 for less than a month now and had to jump start the vehicle twice:rofl:

Funny thing is that prior to purchasing the vehicle, the service records were clean, except the note that the previous owner brought the car in to have the battery recharged:D

It sucks that you get that BS that you need to drive more. And on top of that, you cant just go out and buy a battery to get it replaced. You need to constantly see your SA to make a case and wait for them to take action:dunno:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they said the battery was fine. Thanks for asking and good point. They said this is very common. So everyone gets the same problem. Yeah us.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Reputable service organizations recommend that you consider replacing your battery every three to four years due to the excessive load, discharge and charge phenomenom associated with the increased electrical draw of modern vehicles. I own a 2006 X3 and I noticed that three and a half years after purchase the car started to have some difficulty starting up in the morning after being left a few days. This was new behavior. After having the electrical system checked, I decided to replace the battery. That cured the problem and I have gone two years without a subsequent issue. So check the electrical system. If it is OK, replace the battery and ignore what BMW says. They resisted my decision but eventually covered it under warranty. It could be as simple as that...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same issue on my 2008 535i. Over the last few months, I probably had 20 occurrences of the Increased Battery Discharge message where the clock would reset. Car would start fine and no other problems.

Took it to the dealer and they saw no problems. Battery tested fine. They fully charged the battery and I haven't seen the problem since then (its been about 3 weeks).

Just about all of my drives (to work, to hockey rink) are about 15-20 minutes away. I would think this would be enough to fully charge the battery. I'm guessing that the problem is either that the battery doesn't efficiently charge or something is wrong with the diagnostics in alarming for this message. Dealer wouldn't fess up to any known problems.

I guess the solution is to just trickle charge the battery full once I start getting the warning messages again. Or take it on a long drive once in a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Profiling should be illegal

I'm in an 08 550 w/ clock reset and active streering warning caused by a low battery. Brought it in and heard the infomercial like driving profile prensentation - how tacky BMW. If your engineers can't make a car that is able to sit for a week or be driven short distances then it is time for me to consider other brands and you to consider a new engineering department head.

Asked my local service manager for something in writing from them or BMW that specifically defines a poor driving profile. I want a mileage number at a specific speed etc. Also asked to see my profile printed out so I had something to share with BMWNA and have been waiting 3 weeks for either of these items.

I'm amazed at the willingness of others to accecpt the fact they must "plug in" their cars to make them reliable.

I had no problems the first 2.5 years I owned my car and was with out a battery tender so why now. If the battery is to blame - come out from behind this bs driving profile - step up and do what is right - fix it. BMW has these dealers so scared of covering a $400 battery they won't do what is right for the customer anymore.

I'm still not done with this at the dealer as I will continue to bother them until my battery is replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My dealer gave me a new battery when I had starting problems at about 40,000 miles. Those things are huge and heavy btw.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Dealer replaced battery for a new one when I bought the car. I imagine it isn't uncommon for a battery to drain after sitting on the lot with shoppers in and out of the cars and sitting in them playing with features.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dealers are quietly changing battery under warranty unlike past. I had same problem. Around Oct. last year they said battery is not covered under warranty but in Jan. this year they changed their mind and replaced it. Of course, it is OK now.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'm still on original battery. Never had a battery discharge warning, but I have had the clock reset a couple of times (in the dead of winter when temps were well below freezing). So I do put the car on a battery tender overnight about once every two weeks when temps are cold since I drive very little. I may put it on a tender once a month or longer during the warmer months.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lead-acid batteries lose capacity when they are full discharged. Unfortunately, It is self propagating. Once the battery has been drained to near 0 V, it won't have as much capacity and will drain easier. I always replace the battery if it experiences more than 3 full discharges as it will not have enough reserve to be reliable.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have a related but different problem with 08 535xi. have had no battery warning, however have had the date "reset" itself to the previous day. just thought i would mention since i do not see any direct reference to this. if one gets a batt./elec. test done it will provide quite a bit of info; so that's the route i will take with my trip to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
glad to see that more people are finally 'getting it.' it appears that bmw designed a car that for some reason wears out the battery in less than four years. (not for all, but for some percentage.) instead of stepping up and owning the problem, they blame it on 'poor driving profiles.' but of course in many instances this hardly makes sense because many people have had the same driving profile for the entire life of the car. nice tho - blame it on the customer! seems to me like this is just another way that bmw is trying to deny legitimate warranty work. bottom line, i'd press for a new battery, or just pay for it myself, before plugging my car in.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
We have a 2006 Nissan Armada SUV as my wife's daily driver. The truck has about 70,000 miles right not. It is on it's third battery. The big difference between the BMW and the Nissan is that the BMW tries to save the battery by shutting things down; the Nissan just lets it go dead. Twice we've been stuck with a dead battery, go out to start it and nothing. Everything checks out fine on the charging system, but the battery is completely dead. Today's electronics in cars have overcome the antiquated (since the 40's) 12volt electrical systems we have in our cars.

Having said that, I was also getting the clock reset / increased discharge warning on my 550 after it had sat for two or three days, this happening right after I had bought it used as a CPO vehicle. I read the threads about this issue on this forum and other forums. So, back in January, I hooked up my battery tender (I have one for my travel trailer batteries), let it sit over the weekend, and haven't had a problem since. Last week I was on a business trip, so the car sat in the garage for 9 days without starting, not hooked to the charger. Went out on Monday, and no warning, nothing; everything was fine. So, I've concluded that, assuming the battery is still good, giving it a full charge with a good battery charger will fix the problem.

Now, the one thing that does kind of torque me the wrong way is the battery registration thing. When my Armada battery died, I just replaced it with a like size/capacity battery. In fact, the second time it died, I was able to get a free replacement, because it was still under warranty from WalMart. I'm not real pleased that I will have to spend $400-600 to replace the battery at the dealer, or that I have to hassle with the dealer to get them to pay for it. I'd just as soon go down to WalMart / Interstate / ????? and buy a new battery, switch it out, and be done with the issue.

Keith

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
so, can one buy a battery at the local autozone/pepboys/walmart for their e60?
Think what he's saying is that you can't do it yourself like other cars - BMW has made it far too complicated and expensive. :mad:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.