Bimmerfest BMW banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,558 Posts
The concept you present is correct, and it would be cheaper, but the question here is it cheaper by ENOUGH for BMW that they are willing to risk pissing off a lot of customers by doing this.
But why in the world would it piss ANYONE off to have a car manufacturer say "Hey, we built heating elements into your seats FOR FREE and have given you the ability to turn them on or off whenever you see fit, by using the app?" Are people really so ornery and miserable that the notion of ON DEMAND bun warmers would trigger them? I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

As a bit of a tangent, I hate the idea of option packages, where you can get feature X only if you buy a whole package, just in the same way that I hate the cable company and their channel bundles. I can only get Discovery if I also get 10 other channels I'll never watch. I'd much prefer to pick only those options I really want.
So you'd love it if Time Warner only let you subscribe to the specific channels you want to watch, but you hate the thought that a car manufacturer would let you subscribe to only the specific options you want to use????? In my example, the heating elements are already in the seats, whether or not you want to use them, just like the 10 other channels you don't want to watch are already carried by your cable company. Why wouldn't you EMBRACE the idea of only subscribing to heated seats, like you would embrace the idea of only subscribing to Discovery Channel?

The thing that shocks me about this whole thread is that people are outraged without having ANY of the facts. What would it cost to rent heated seats on demand (like watching a movie or fight on demand), vs. paying for an option you might never use when you purchase the car.? There is zero data, but everyone already knows they won't want it. There's a word for that behavior and the word is PREJUDICE.

·
Registered
418 Posts
PS: Regarding software. Why would anyone NOT want a subscription? Why would I want a fixed version of software, which was never updated when security vulnerabilities were discovered? My whole life is run from my laptop, and I absolutely want to have patches and updates pushed down to me when the Russian, NK and Chinese hackers come calling. I'm happy owning furniture, my home and my barbecue grill. But anything connected to the internet? Damn straight I want that constantly updated. I doubt very much you are running DOS or Windows ME, so why wouldn't you want all your other software (like MS Office) up to date?
The part of the argument you forgot is that most software updates, with a few exceptions, are to modify code to make the car operate as it is supposed to, not provide new features. Filling security holes, as you noted, should come with the territory. If it is done after the fact, that the door was left open for hacking is often the result of poor initial coding. Companies like Microsoft and Apple provide free updates for their products for years to come. Obviously, the update costs are built in when the products are sold, but the price one pays for an OS in a PC is small and updates are provided on a frequent basis for many years without additional costs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The part of the argument you forgot is that most software updates, with a few exceptions, are to modify code to make the car operate as it is supposed to, not provide new features. Filling security holes, as you noted, should come with the territory. If it is done after the fact, that the door was left open for hacking is often the result of poor initial coding. Companies like Microsoft and Apple provide free updates for their products for years to come. Obviously, the update costs are built in when the products are sold, but the price one pays for an OS in a PC is small and updates are provided on a frequent basis for many years without additional costs.
"the Russian, NK and Chinese hackers come calling"

"It could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people," he said during the first presidential debate. "It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds."

"In regards to the issue of Russian interference in the election, Trump reiterates, "It could be Russia. And it could be China. And it could be some guy in his home in New Jersey."

As mentioned elsewhere, security patches is filling holes in initial deployment omissions. Patches.

Comparing turning on already existing features to patches is apples to oranges. IMHO

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
That was a good read. But what in the world does that have to do with heated seats? Am I more or less lazy and inept if I pay a lump sum for the heated seats when I buy the car, vs. paying nothing up front for them and checking the box on the subscription app when I wan to roast my nuts? I'm so confused ..... :dunno::dunno::dunno:
Thank you.

I already went way OT in a very interesting thread. To properly elaborate will take pages. I tried to be short. One more time.

If you live in Wisconsin, can't be bothered to spend any time or effort whatsoever in researching what for most of the people is the second-largest purchase in your life and end up with a car that you assumed will have heated seats but it doesn't ... you should be miserable for 3-5 winters and learn your lesson. You will be far better off after it, and society will be as well. True win-win. Giving you a fix with 3 clicks on a smart phone app is a problem. I am not capable of seeing the future, so I cannot tell you what exactly the problem will be for the whole society, I only know for certain that there will be a problem shared by whole society. Profits from that idea will be shared only by BMW shareholders. Cost of it will be shared by whole society.

So, it is not limited to a marketing situation/gimmick, it has future consequences for all of us. Just like setting 20 mph speed limit inside Boston city limits (at least that's what I heard) because 25 mph was ... what exactly? Unsafe? I meant to say that there is no bottom once it starts and you can kiss goodbye to any attempt at a rational argument.

I and you and some other people here know very well, thanks to our track experience, how easy it would be to drop number of deaths on our roads to 1/10th of what they are now - no HPDE, racing license or FIA superlicense are necessary. It would only require 98% of the people to engage and pay attention, learn (rules of the road, not managing the weight transfer) and strive for excellence. Now, THAT is impossible, so we have to look elsewhere. Autonomous cars? Sure thing, in a jiffy. No problem. There is no limit to insanity once it starts rolling downhill.

I hope that concludes OT excursion. Apologies for interfering with pretty interesting thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If heating element already exists, with all the wiring. All one would need is to isolate the wires going to the heating element.
I'm with you. Put all the options in, I'll figure out how to turn them on in 5 or 10 years when I buy the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm personally so sick and tired of these subscription services... The whole model is just there to make more money and they never take into account all the use cases.

I have my daily driver and my occasional one... I made the decision when I purchased each how much I wanted to spend on them. You can't really do that with functionality as a service... It may be cheap now, but they can jack up the price on a whim.

And no, I'm sorry but I can't agree with the comments made here about a rental car or airline seat being a subscription... I pay for the use, yes, but pay per use is not subscription; there is a significant and legal difference. If I buy an airline ticket, I have a chosen flight and destination agreed upon. Should I not be able to take that flight, I can get a refund or voucher for the unused portion based on the agreed upon terms. If I have a subscription (like Sirius XM that was noted) I have to pay if I do or do not use it and there are no refund terms.

And we didn't even address the point about planned obsolescence... I recall being notified a few years ago about my wife's 2011 X3 no longer having any OTA services because of a system change with BMW. I had the 'privilege' to pay $4k for BMW to upgrade the computer... No fault of mine, no fault of failed hardware... I declined. So you might just get that used BMW five or ten years and not even be able to turn on that feature.

Cheers, Peter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It was very long ago, and I am a little hazy, but there was a British sports car (??) that had a 4 speed stick, However that was an option.
The option (once paid) was to have the dealer (secretly) remove a blocking plate from the shifter on the 3 speed.
It cost additional to access what was already there.

In those days there was no internet, or other source of discovery, so it was years until the scam was found.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,558 Posts
It was very long ago, and I am a little hazy, but there was a British sports car (??) that had a 4 speed stick, However that was an option.
The option (once paid) was to have the dealer (secretly) remove a blocking plate from the shifter on the 3 speed. It cost additional to access what was already there.
Sounds a bit like getting married to a gal who has three openings, and she'll only let you use one. If you are lucky. A whole different type of subscription service?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds a bit like getting married to a gal who has three openings, and she'll only let you use one. If you are lucky. A whole different type of subscription service?
Getting a bit vulgar for this kind of a forum, yeah? Don't get me wrong, I was in the Navy for 10 years, I don't blush, but time and place, man.

·
Registered
990 Posts
As noted above, look at how great this turned out for BMW w/ CarPlay.
BMW is a smart company. ALL OF THIS IS A TEST / PROOF OF CONCEPT for what they'll be doing with the fully hybrid cars (which will indeed have more "software-enabled" functionality).
Tesla is not a master at this, but ... better.
Heated seats might be a smoke screen - you need hardware IN the seats to warm your ass.
But autonomous driving, HUD (again maybe a bit too far), infotainment functionality, and performance/range-related things which can be flipped on/off will definitely in play.

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,345 Posts
I'd almost certainly be willing to pay for remote start.In fact,if it involved a one time fee I'd absolutely pay if it was less than,say,$500. A yearly fee I'd consider.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts