Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
E93 335i, somewhat mod <> Fog City, CA
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing [THIS?] Your new ride will have options installed at the factory, but you gotta pay a fee to use 'em! Again....and again....and again....and........

Imagine. You're late on a payment next month --> no A/C! No Carplay. No cell charging? Cruise control?

A very Brave New World o'profit. But you get to try an option; delete if no like. The hell of it is, the option's still built in!

Elmer Fudd [80].jpg

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Most BMW's (~57% in the last data I saw) are leased. Options have far more mark-up than the base car does. "Renting" options might bring down the cost of the options for lessees, yet retain the value of a fully-optioned car when BMW sells those leased cars after they're turned back in my the original lessee.

BMW's of the "E era" had all the code and sensors for the burglar alarm installed at the factory. But, if you wanted that code and those sensors to work you had to pay for the siren and to have the dealer turn on the code.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Most BMW's (~57% in the last data I saw) are leased. Options have far more mark-up than the base car does. "Renting" options might bring down the cost of the options for lessees, yet retain the value of a fully-optioned car when BMW sells those leased cars after they're turned back in my the original lessee.

BMW's of the "E era" had all the code and sensors for the burglar alarm installed at the factory. But, if you wanted that code and those sensors to work you had to pay for the siren and to have the dealer turn on the code.

Ok....hold on....the fee for turning options 'on' will be no less when 2nd owner takes title. So, car sells for base resale value with no bump for options! That resale will be a bit lower as monthly cost for options is same as when new.

Oy. W'll see....almost like buying a time share, the monthly maint fee never, ever, ends. If you want, say, a stereo.

And let's not discount the tracking BMW will then have with 2nd, 3rd, etc. owners' personally identifiable info. Gold mine??

Scratchin Head 01.jpg

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Yeah, I know. But, nobody knows how this will play out. All anybody knows now is that it's possible. I suspect there will still be a one-time buy option on stuff.

The bigger question is how would they turn on and off Individual leather and wood trim?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes I don't like this way of charging on an ongoing basis. I think they can get away with it because it's never mentioned in any car reviews...but effectively it's the same as reducing the "reliability" of the car and should be flagged up more by those reviewers. Ie "you'll have x feature when you buy it but it will only work for a year...".

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I told you all many times ... Maybe the world would have been better place without Bill Gates (Windows 95) and Steve Jobs (iPhone and apps concept).

I know I am an old curmudgeon, but I am immensely grateful to be very close to the point in life where none of that will matter at all. So I can ride into the sunset with middle finger raised up high proudly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes I don't like this way of charging on an ongoing basis. I think they can get away with it because it's never mentioned in any car reviews...but effectively it's the same as reducing the "reliability" of the car and should be flagged up more by those reviewers. Ie "you'll have x feature when you buy it but it will only work for a year...".
Of course, you can show your disdain by simply not buying. I'll bet the hacking issues will be a major problem for both owners and the company.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Of course, you can show your disdain by simply not buying.
Well you don't know until you've bought...but certainly next time I'm car-shopping I'll be asking questions about how long you get the services for. I'd suggest everyone else does the same and make sure the salesman knows as it might get back to BMW...certainly I think that BMW felt the pressure to stop the annual charge for Apple Carplay which other manufacturers included without an ongoing charge.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In the Brave New World of vehicle manufacture morphing into software development, if you want to use their cars, you'll have to pay....

BMW is on the bleeding edge but validated and joined by major US manufacturers. It's all a big cabal, and good enough reason to increase corporate prices just a smidge to cover the vig.

How 'boutcha! Are you on board for this?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A thought, from the manager's desk:

With the pay-as-you-go plan, base vehicles can be provided as company transportation, and the employee will pay the monthly charge for frills!

Luxury items such as cell phone integration....radio....A/C....intermittent windshield wipers?....will be the employee's financial burden.

And why not? Employee co-pays are not uncommon; maybe the future of everything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
KTM does something similar on their bikes.
Not a monthly charge though, one time.
They sell a track pack to unlock all of the optional functions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts