BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was introduced to a fleet manager at a local BMW dealership and she is able to get me rock bottom lease prices. I wasn't even in the market for a BMW, but with the prices they're offering, I might be joining the BMW family.

I was inquiring about a lease for a 2016 535i and noticed BMW has something called Apple CarPlay integration. This is perfect since I just purchased the new iPhone 7 Plus. However, I ran into a small problem. Apparently, the current 5-series doesn't have Apple CarPlay as an available option, but will be available with the new G30 in March 2017. Problem is, I need a car now as my current car registration and smog check needs to be renewed this month and I would like to avoid paying for those and just sell it if I get this lease.

The fleet manager told me that I could get a 4 series or 3 series with Apple CarPlay. What do you F10/F11 people do for smart phone integration with your car? Should I just get the 2016 535i and not have Apple CarPlay? Should I wait for the 2017 model? Should I lease a 3 or 4 series instead?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I recently was introduced to a fleet manager at a local BMW dealership and she is able to get me rock bottom lease prices. I wasn't even in the market for a BMW, but with the prices they're offering, I might be joining the BMW family.

I was inquiring about a lease for a 2016 535i and noticed BMW has something called Apple CarPlay integration. This is perfect since I just purchased the new iPhone 7 Plus. However, I ran into a small problem. Apparently, the current 5-series doesn't have Apple CarPlay as an available option, but will be available with the new G30 in March 2017. Problem is, I need a car now as my current car registration and smog check needs to be renewed this month and I would like to avoid paying for those and just sell it if I get this lease.

The fleet manager told me that I could get a 4 series or 3 series with Apple CarPlay. What do you F10/F11 people do for smart phone integration with your car? Should I just get the 2016 535i and not have Apple CarPlay? Should I wait for the 2017 model? Should I lease a 3 or 4 series instead?
Is Apple CarPlay important to you?

I use the snap-in adapter for my iPhone 5s.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Apple Car Play is unnecessary with BMW connected drive. Has a nice interface with spotify, iheart radio, audible, apple music, etc.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
CarPlay is very important to me as I want to be able to use my phone while utilizing the BMW controls.
Are there any noticeable difference to using BMW Connected Drive vs. the CarPlay?
When plugged into the adapter using BMW APPS I have full control over my phone. If I get impatient I have to manually start an app (Pandora in my case) but after it starts I control the app (thumbs up, thumbs down, select stations, skip, etc.) trough the iDrive.

I have no real idea how CarPlay works except that I've read it doesn't work so bueno...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so I guess that CarPlay might not be as essential as I had thought. That brings me to the next question:

Get the 2016 535i now or wait for the G30 in March 2017.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,141 Posts
How rock bottom are the leases? Regardless you're going to pay much less for a F10 than a G30.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How rock bottom are the leases? Regardless you're going to pay much less for a F10 than a G30.
2016 535i with park distance control, rear view camera, and heated front seats:

$1,961.57 Drive-off
$517.13 per month/36 months

10K miles per year, but I work pretty close to home, so my daily commute won't be too bad.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

$1,961.57 Drive-off

10K miles per year, but I work pretty close to home, so my daily commute won't be too bad.
Thats a pretty stripped 5 series. We have no idea how good of a deal that is because you did not provide any other data (it could be a good deal, or it might only be an OK deal).

Any 2017 is going to be more though. That $300 carplay option is likely going to cost you at least $100 to $150 a month in actual dollars if you wait for the G30... maybe more.

I have not seen BMWs interface with car play but I have seen carplay in other cars, and its very underwhelming. If I was getting a 2017 I would still get it because I figure at some point it will be updated, but still its not worth $100 to $150 a month (in different residuals no trunk money etc).

Does the car you are looking at even have nav? I dont know 5 series options as well as I know 3s and 4s so I am not sure if nav is "standard". If not, then you need to get a car with nav (and BMW apps) to have BMW integrate with your smart phone at all. Even then, it is only certain apps (like car play).

If you want us to look at the car in question you could put the last 7 of your vin and we can check it out, or you can check it out at:

bimmer.work.

Make SURE you know what options that car has, because its not much. If it does not have nav you will not want it, no matter how cheap it is (because you need nav and bmw apps to have any integration with any apps on your phone.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,141 Posts

$1,961.57 Drive-off

What is the money factor and residual? MSD would bring your payments down even further.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would wait for the G30 but that could be at least 6 months..

It's a completely new foundation. I think the 2016 535i was the same foundation back in 2011. All BMW does is change modules and outside parts with newer models of the same foundation.

If the "new" features don't matter to you much (refinement/maturity), the payments look good, and you need a new vehicle now then that 2016 535i could be your best option.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've seen Carplay work in one of my rentals I had. It was kind of cool, but I was sorely disappointed in the number of apps that actually work with Carplay. I have maybe 100 apps installed on my iPhone, and maybe 5 of them worked with Carplay. The messaging and calendar features were neat - but weren't "gotta have it!" nice. (The rest of the Chevy Malibu loaner may have been influencing that conclusion as well :D ) Most notably, I do not remember it working with Waze, but I do remember it working with Spotify. No Waze? Total buzzkill.

I recently acquired my first BMW - a 2016 535i xDrive - and I was surprised to see the Spotify integration with the iDrive system.

With regard to getting an F10 or a G30 - I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a BMW. For me, I've lusted after driving a BMW for a long time - and always a 5 series. After taking a new job where I drive much less (0 mile commute every day), leasing a BMW became an option for me. Once I saw the available deals on the outgoing F10, and you compile that with the VW TDI Buyback that's forthcoming, the stars aligned and I now drive a 5 series!

People disparage the current generation 5 series because it supposedly doesn't handle as well as previous generations. For me at least, coming from driving 90-140HP VW Diesels over the past 20 years - the 5 series is a dream car for me. 302 horsepower under my right foot, handling that still beats out any VW I've owned, and it's a beautiful car with lots of technology that gets the inner geek in me all fired up. It's also something I purchased for my enjoyment, not for any "keep up with the jones" or any reason like that - so not having the latest model in 9 months isn't going to be a deal breaker for me.

What I'm getting at is - If you like the current generation 5 series after driving it and you can get a deal that works for you - go for it. You won't be sorry. If you lease now, you're at good enough position now that hopefully, by the time your lease is up, the LCI (Mid cycle facelift) of the G30 will be out and you can hop on one of those if the BMW ownership experience has been good to you. I don't know what you're driving now, but owning a BMW is definitely a cool experience.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's normal to get a "deal" on an outgoing model lease. To determine if it's a 'killer" deal we would need more info. Typically 1% of MSRP is a solid deal for average lease terms (36k/3yr) and miles with no money down added to the cap cost reduction. I would expect something higher for an all-new model that isn't a Pontiac Aztec and something lower for an outgoing model.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It's normal to get a "deal" on an outgoing model lease. To determine if it's a 'killer" deal we would need more info. Typically 1% of MSRP is a solid deal for average lease terms (36k/3yr) and miles with no money down added to the cap cost reduction. I would expect something higher for an all-new model that isn't a Pontiac Aztec and something lower for an outgoing model.
I'm proud to drive my Aztec around.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts