BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW, While I realize that nothing can be perfect, Its hard to understand how a 41k dollar car can have such poor quality leather
My car has 8k miles easy miles at that, from new the car was only treated with bmw brand leather treatment and approx. 2 years ago the leather seemed to start feeling sticky once summer rolled around, when it became very bad last summer I had it cleaned, that did not help, tried diff cleaner of time still the same sticky mess
Then after looking into it more, I find that I am not alone here, another owner with the exact same type/print of leather had the same issue. He had no luck in fixing the problem at all
and had his seats re done
Now I am doing that at a cost of 2k approx on a car that has 8k miles and is mint
My dealer if you can call them that will not ever touch this vehicle due to the fact that they are a joke( sorry but its true) and even if and I say IF they would even cover this poor quality leather under warranty I will have the same issues down the road since it appears to be a problem with others that have this same type of leather..
I love my car dont get me wrong,but it is getting harder to justify buying another bmw when I am having to deal with problems like this on a car that is a weekend use and very well taken care of
max

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just a suggestion - you may want to try the products from Leather Z for cleaning leather. He has tried every product availabe for cleaning BMW leather seats and claims the products he uses on his BMW does not make the leather sticky.:thumbup:

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alpinewhite325i said:
curious..is it dakota or montana?
it was what bmw called camillian leahter(special print) I believe it it was dakota but the only ref. bmw makes to it is camilian.
Now its been redone and its high grade leather that I am very happy

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
beemerfan said:
Just a suggestion - you may want to try the products from Leather Z for cleaning leather. He has tried every product availabe for cleaning BMW leather seats and claims the products he uses on his BMW does not make the leather sticky.:thumbup:
Small point of clarification, we haven't tried every product available for leather care. Maybe a half dozen or so. We will not warrant our products if Lexol touches them. Great leather care choices: Spinneybeck, Griots, Conolly. I am sure there are other good ones out there too.

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
01silber said:
it was what bmw called camillian leahter(special print) I believe it it was dakota but the only ref. bmw makes to it is camilian.
Now its been redone and its high grade leather that I am very happy
Interesting..never heard of cammilian.

At least your happy now.

Enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Lexol is lanolin based conditioner and that is what make non-clear coated leather sticky...Not having heard of this type of leather I can only guess that its not clear coated.

I use leatherique cleaners and conditioners, and have never had the sticky problem that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
JonM said:
If you use too much, some leathers can become sticky. If it's working for you, keep to your routine.
Thanks. I reviewed the leather care advice on the Leather Z website and found it very helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts