BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Bimmerfest Community,

I am sure we all love the drive we get from our BMWs. BMWs are probably the best driving cars.

But folks, it appears to me that the quality is going down, so that these machines are only good up to 50K miles.

My experience with my 2008 X5; the transfer case just blew at 81K miles, and BMW USA has nothing to say about it. I have had to change the radiator, the fuel pump and the electronic brakes. Folks, the car has never been taken off road, and has made all required maintenance visits..

Maybe I am the unlucky one to have gotten a BMW lemon.

I would love to hear about your experiences.

Best -- John

· Please, call me Brian.
11,225 Posts
Sucks, because my 88 325i had 212k when I sold it, the 91 318is had 209k before it was wrecked, the 89 325i had 189k when I sold it, the 98 540i had 146k when I sold it, and both my e36 M3s had over or close to 150k when I sold/traded them.

That's just the facts of life gentlemen, as BMW continues to match or beat the competitors on luxury/options/pricing, they're going to add more and more parts, which means there is more to break down the road. A transfer case blowing at 81k is absolutely obscene though. My old POS jeep's lasted until 289k before blowing, and that was with about 8k miles of hard abuse from 250k-289k.

I recommend you guys start looking for used parts and learn to wrench. Cold day in hell before I paid $5k for a transfer case..

· Registered
25 Posts
My friend and I drove to St. Louis from Indianapolis a month ago. He has an '06 e90 with 57k miles. We took my '97 E39 with 129k because we trusted the reliability of mine more than his. He has put so much money into it, more than my car cost, plus all the money I've put into it. If it didn't have a lot of sentimental value to him, he would've sold it when the radiator first needed replaced at 52k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.