BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new BMW iPod Interface will be available for customers to purchase at BMW centers beginning in July 2006. Pricing has not been determined. -Press release on BMW's usa website-

Uhhhh.... anyone else pissed that BMW lied:mad:

I would rather be told when an item would come out rather then lied too.

I'm sorry ive been waiting for this for a long time and want to let some heat out.

I have some complaints,

1) Large corporations screw you anyway they can (releasing a car that is not fully complete i.e. could not get comfort access with my car which cant be retrofitted, ipod adapter not available aux has almost got me killed many times from looking at Ipod, had to get computer update for RDS.my fault for buying a 1st year car..huh.)

2) Painted drivers side door handle which after 1 year the paint is peeling off, not to mention
$40k car that doesnt have rear folding seats. Drivers side lumbar stopped working. BMW assist cant unlock your car doors like onstar, found out the hard way. The paint seems extremely fragile more chips then my dodge stratus had after 3 awesome years of service. Ordered car in germany while in the Air Force received wrong interior trim wanted brushed aluminum. Even so the burl walnut is nice except for the brushed aluminum stick and nav controller that are out of place. 200 dollar nav dvd that doesnt come with the car ordered with nav. In my opinion a average stereo with terrible equalization options bass treble fade and balance...pretty weak the package is I say.

However,
The car handles unbelievably well...thats it...all I could really praise my car about...oh looks nice too. What is almost unamaginable is that the cars handling almost out weighs the cons.

Am I too picky... I know you Chat room flamers are about to go off about my grammar/punctuation but hold on and note that I dont care.

Furthermore,
I am not expierienced in the japanese lux/sport sedans but ive heard a lot of good. Is there as much disappointment with them as Ive had with my bimmer. Let me know. Again expressing my thoughts which are not aimed at pissing off BMW owners (since I am one) and really wondering if the pro of Handling out weighs the rest.

Flame On! Just kidding, looking for other peoples thoughts please be kind.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
calm down

1. BMW would make more money by having the accesories available to sell to you and make $$$$ they're not trying to "screw you"

2. your own fault, you could order split folding seats, did you order the upgrade audio?? (I didn't, and the stereo's not great but fine for listening at quieter volumes)

how'd you lock your key in the car?? the old trunk trick

the trim thing could have been avoided, my sales lady didn't know that walnut was standard (and I would have had the same thing happen if I wasn't a dork that researched my purchase for months)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hmmm, let me see (rolls eyes)....

First of all, it does not matter if its toasters or cars anything manufactured will have problems. Its is nearly impossible to make hundreds of thousands of anything and all of them come out perfect. I am a software engineer, one of the industry stories is the space shuttle goes up each time with 10,000 known software bugs. The Windows CE OS which is used in the iDrives (at least it did at one time) has some 20k known bugs.

That said, my previous cars:

My first car that purchase myself a 1988 Volvo 240 which both my brother and I used through college. It was purchased with 24k miles and we sold it with 210,000 and besides wear and tear items and changing oil we never ever had any problems. By the time we sold it trim was falling off, seat would not adjust etc. Do all Volvo 240s make it this far...No

Next car, 1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD, a turbo 4 banger that was amazingly fun to drive. Purchased for 26k new and over its life it had about a dozen recalls but other than that no problems. Sold the car with 150,000 miles with original clutch and turbo.

Present car, 2003 G35 Sedan. The only thing I can say is, I have not experienced the dealership horror stories the board has with BMW dealerships. But, on the car side, I have had the most annoying creaking noises coming from the tops of my doors/windows. The radio sometime just stops but nobody can find the short. My battery has died 3 times since I have had the car -- nobody can explain why! Many G35 users have had worse tire problem than what I hear on this forum. My tires are gone and just waiting till fall to get new rubber. I noticed some spots of rust on the drivers door up by the window -- its a freak'n 2003!! Does it ride well -- yeah! I have about 40k miles on the car and plan to ditch it as soon as I have a 335i --

Will my 335i be problem free? Maybe yes, maybe no. So far my two least expensive cars have given me the least amount of problems. The wife has a 2004 Convertible C70, my opinion is it rides like crap but she likes it. So far, not a damn thing is wrong with it and she has 50k miles on it.

I have seen Porches on the side of the road with fluid spilling on the ground and some MB on flatbeds -- soo, nothing is perfect.

Sometimes you kick, sometimes you get kicked -- just get up and go

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, it does not matter if its toasters or cars anything manufactured will have problems. Its is nearly impossible to make hundreds of thousands of anything and all of them come out perfect. I am a software engineer, one of the industry stories is the space shuttle goes up each time with 10,000 known software bugs. The Windows CE OS which is used in the iDrives (at least it did at one time) has some 20k known bugs.

1) yes this is true however the paint on black plastic wearing off in a year IMHO item said should not have been painted

1. BMW would make more money by having the accesories available to sell to you and make $$$$ they're not trying to "screw you

Nav dvd with 2k nav system not part of the deal Huh no screwing going on here.
Folding seats my 17k car had folding seats std I know im retarded for not knowing it was an option but still you get my point it seriously degrades the funcitonality of the car and for it not to be an option is somewhat a foreign idea for me.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
I recently puchased a new Honda Accord coupe for my daughter as a graduation present. I also ordered the Honda cassette deck and the Honda iPod Music Link interface. I thought it would be best to install both at the same time, since the same components needed to be removed for each. As usual for a Honda everything went reasonably well with the cassette deck installation. But when I read the iPod interface installation instructions the last page made absolutely no sense. It read like it was translated by a Japanese-to-English version of Babelfish. So I posted on one of the Honda boards -- what does this MEAN???? What I got back was a number of steaming comments about the iPod Music Link. Owners said that, basically, Honda had taken two marvelously user-friendly devices, the Honda Accord and the iPod, and managed to come up with a real clunker. Bad enough that owners reported that if they complained loudly enough, Honda usually refunded their purchase price. Without requiring them to remove it. Fortunately, I hadn't opened any of the plastic wrappings, and I could still return it, so I didn't have to go that far.

I'd rather see BMW deliver an accessory later than they expected than discover that they're selling one that doesn't function as promised.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd rather see BMW deliver an accessory later than they expected than discover that they're selling one that doesn't function as promised.

I agree, still no reason to be lied to about distribution time and no official update saying Hey for all you that have been waiting a year for this to come out We messed up it wont be out till November or whatever.

After a good nights sleep I would like to say I like my car and got an excellent deal on it from pentagon car sales. I would not buy a 3 series new again. BMW has awesome certified used cars with 3 year warranties I think ill go that route and buy an x5 since I recently moved to Northern Utah

thanks for your comments I feel more confident in my purchase

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my $43k 330i nav, but...

it should have included:

1. the ipod interface, the acura tl had it standard
2. a search function in the nav, it's so basic and slow
3. the alarm should come standard on the car, biggest complaint

another but...

no other car in it's class can touch it, not a lexus, not an acura, not a tl, these are plastic toys, the bmw is solid as a rock, I can live with the above 3 complaints, the car is a beast.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
The iPOD interface was delayed due to technical issues. Even now, if you have a lot of songs, it will be very slow to scroll through the interface. I still contend the AUX jack is the simpler solution until USB support is available.

Leaving an iPOD in the glovebox that runs mostly on car power will over charge the iPOD's battery and ruin it very quickly.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
The new BMW iPod Interface will be available for customers to purchase at BMW centers beginning in July 2006. Pricing has not been determined. -Press release on BMW's usa website-

Uhhhh.... anyone else pissed that BMW lied
You really believe BMW LIED? Well, after reading your tirade as to how you believe large corporations screw people, I understand why you would say this. If you are not happy with whatever large corporations are doing, I suggest you do not patronize them. As a purchaser, you can choose what companies you patronize.

Now, back to BMW and the lie. Lying is a deliberate act. Do you really think they wanted to hold back on the iPod interfaces - or rather that they simply couldn´t get them finalized. Why would they have told me in late May that the interfaces would definitely be in the dealers´ hands in early July if they didn´t plan this (I have had the iPod interface since early June). No, they ran into delays getting it ready for public consumption. I am glad that BMW is smart enough to hold back until a product works.

1) Large corporations screw you anyway they can (releasing a car that is not fully complete i.e. could not get comfort access with my car which cant be retrofitted, ipod adapter not available aux has almost got me killed many times from looking at Ipod, had to get computer update for RDS.my fault for buying a 1st year car..huh.)
Were you PROMISED comfort access when you ordered the car? You didn´t have to order it without it you know. You had the option to wait.

$40k car that doesnt have rear folding seats.
You can order these. My car has them.

BMW assist cant unlock your car doors like onstar, found out the hard way.
I guess you should have bought a car with OnStar then. BMW never said they could do this. By the way, this is being introduced for 2007 models.

200 dollar nav dvd that doesnt come with the car ordered with nav.
Satnav includes one DVD, if you want others you can buy them.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Leaving an iPOD in the glovebox that runs mostly on car power will over charge the iPOD's battery and ruin it very quickly.
I believe that the battery won´t overcharge; most electronic devices that use lithium ion batteries do not allow overcharging (of course, they have the potential for a DIFFERENT problem but...)

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
: popcorn:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
I believe that the battery won´t overcharge; most electronic devices that use lithium ion batteries do not allow overcharging (of course, they have the potential for a DIFFERENT problem but...)
Apple Ipods use Lithium Ion batteries, like a lot of portable products.

The lifetime of a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery shortens considerably if it is left 'topped up' on a charger for extended periods of time(weeks, etc). That's one of the reasons they are never used as backup sources of power.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Apple Ipods use Lithium Ion batteries, like a lot of portable products.

The lifetime of a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery shortens considerably if it is left 'topped up' on a charger for extended periods of time(weeks, etc). That's one of the reasons they are never used as backup sources of power.
I wasn´t thinking of extended periods of time, i.e. weeks, but a few hours drive here and there.

If it is in and out of the car, would that impact battery life adversely?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
I wasn***180;t thinking of extended periods of time, i.e. weeks, but a few hours drive here and there.

If it is in and out of the car, would that impact battery life adversely?
I don't believe so. I think the key is to make sure any rechargable type battery is excerised. i.e. Fully charged and then drained. Of course if you buy Apple's extended warranty than they will take care of it should the battery fail. Cheap insurance at about $50 per year.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
. I think the key is to make sure any rechargable type battery is excerised. i.e. Fully charged and then drained. .
Correct, that is what I meant to imply. I do that with my laptop and mobile - but admittedly not with my iPod as much although in travelling it does get fully drained sometimes at inconvenient moments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts