BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wiping down the car today and I couldn't stand to look at the chrome grille any longer. I decided to order the M Performance grille. I was hoping to wait for the full black one to come out but settled for the current one that's available.

The question is, how to install it? I can see the clips on the top part of the grille when open the hood. Is it a difficult install with the active grille?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161866191120

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd take it to a certified BMW body shop to do it since it is a mechanical part which opens and closes and the last thing you want is for that to get screwed up. Personally I like the look and think if you put the gun metal black grill on there it will totally conflict with the flat and shiny chrome in the head light and door handles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me, the chrome grille clashes more with the shadow line trim. See the picture below, it sold me on the grille.

http://i.imgur.com/F7wt6d0.jpg

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I'm waiting on the full black one, personally.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that looks good but the mirrors are also blacked out. I like my look the way it is...:thumbup:
That's just BMW showcasing all of the M Performance parts.

Anyway, the grille came in and installation is a breeze. The clips on the top are actually exposed normally without having to take off any panels. Just press down with screwdriver and one the top comes out a little bit, you can pull the bottom part out with ease. Installation took maybe five minutes. I'm happy with how it came out, would like it better if it was fully black, might get it painted gloss black. Please excuse the bugs, just drove back from Daytona yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/svYPYfR.jpg

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's just BMW showcasing all of the M Performance parts.

Anyway, the grille came in and installation is a breeze. The clips on the top are actually exposed normally without having to take off any panels. Just press down with screwdriver and one the top comes out a little bit, you can pull the bottom part out with ease. Installation took maybe five minutes. I'm happy with how it came out, would like it better if it was fully black, might get it painted gloss black. Please excuse the bugs, just drove back from Daytona yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/svYPYfR.jpg
Looks good man. Sounds like just the outside grill is what you replaced. Not the whole thing?

Thanks for sharing that it was easy to put it on. Too bad you didn't do a quick instructional video of it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good man. Sounds like just the outside grill is what you replaced. Not the whole thing?

Thanks for sharing that it was easy to put it on. Too bad you didn't do a quick instructional video of it.
It's actually the whole grille that gets replaced. The middle section is still partially chrome so it looks like only the outside is replaced. I didn't actually plan on changing the grille right away. I got the delivery and I just popped the hood to take a look and then I got a screwdriver and popped it out and put in the new one. Had no idea it would be this easy. The active grille part is behind the grille and it does not interfere at all during the installation.

I got my dad an M performance grille for his 650i GC and it's still in the garage somewhere because it's a hassle to install and I just haven't gotten around to it.

Overall, I'm very happy day with the grille so far. The only thing I noticed was that the active grille part is painted as the same color as the car so it does look a bit different if you look at it up close.

·
Munchen bound
1,205 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the installation. I may do this as well. Do you have pics of your install, before and after? I would want an all black version.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip on the installation. I may do this as well. Do you have pics of your install, before and after? I would want an all black version.
Here is the before and after. Significant difference, it's too much chrome and it clashes with the shadow line trim. I'm traveling right now but I hope to get the grille painted gloss black when I get back. I decided not to wait for the all black because I don't know how long it will be before it's released. They were supposed to make an all black grille for the 6er but it's still not out.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467386742.897315.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467386762.070057.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for the pic's - I think I'll wait as well or as you said have it painted. I wonder if it would look better (not clash as much) on a lighter car. I want to have the same look that's on my F12 - pic attached.

Attachments

·
Munchen bound
1,205 Posts
Yep. That's a little meaner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts