BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...
Yes, as the title suggests, Ive noticed this issue when I drove home this evening.

Ive read the net, and reviewed similar reports - there appears to be articles around stones being caught in the disc guard.

Heres the deal: My car has 500kms on it. Its still a baby! No dash errors, Drives and feels exactly as it should do. There is nothing apparent to the naked eye under the vehicle. Nothing.

Interestingly when I wriggled the stone guards there was a fine sediment I noticed on the rear right wheel.
My thinking & hope is there is in fact a small stone caught behind the disc & guard.

So my questions to those of you that have experienced this,;
1. can you describe the noise?
2. How far can I press on those guards to dislodge anything caught? I don't want to damage them.
3. Will spraying water jet into the guard make a difference to anything caught?
4. In worse case scenario, I will take to dealer, to have the wheel removed & inspected I guess.

Hoping folks can share practical experiences & outcomes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can give the guards a good hard press no problem. 99% it's a stone or something wedged. It's quite hard to get in with a water jet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes. Pulling the shield will do it. I've already gouged 3 front wheels due to my CCB's. Rocks get caught between the caliper and the wheel and gouge a nice line all around the inner wheel barrel. Sucks. BMW replaced one but I had to buy the other. Redic.

JAZ

·
Registered
67 Posts
there's a service bulletin for the heat shields...just bring it in to service and they'll swap out for the newer ones. Had the same issue in my 2015 F80, and the swap seemed to do the trick. Otherwise the suggestions above also work...slamming the brakes at about 50mph seemed to always clear out the pebbles. Just make sure there's no one behind you when doing so!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a stone in the rear brake of my M2 which noticed on our way home from the dealer, I first thought "stone against rotor" but when I looked for a stone, I did not see one. It turned out you really have to flex the guard to get a stone out. (thought is was a bad bearing, bad noise for sure)

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts