BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
HOLY MOLY! Looks like the BMW crossed over into on coming traffic. Luckily it doesn't look like any of the vehicle were going more than 30-40 mph. Still, a lot of energy was dissipated.

Glad to hear that no one was seriously injured.

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Head to head at 30 mph is like hitting a wall at 60! I am impressed at the lack of damage to the front of the BMW. I wonder what the front of the first car hit looks like.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,650 Posts
Head to head at 30 mph is like hitting a wall at 60!
No, it is not. It's similar to a 60mph collision with a stationary car of equal mass. While that's nothing to sneeze at, far more energy is dissipated by the car if it hits an immovable wall at 60mph.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No, it is not. It's similar to a 60mph collision with a stationary car of equal mass. While that's nothing to sneeze at, far more energy is dissipated by the car if it hits an immovable wall at 60mph.
If both cars have the same weight and each are traveling at 30MPH, it's the same as the Traffic Safety Institute's wall crash test at 30MPH. The opposing car provides the same immovable resistance (STOP) as the wall. It's counter-intuitive but true.

Dave

·
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,650 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
If both cars have the same weight and each are traveling at 30MPH, it's the same as the Traffic Safety Institute's wall crash test at 30MPH. The opposing car provides the same immovable resistance (STOP) as the wall. It's counter-intuitive but true.
Dave
Nope. Both cars have crumple zones, while walls don't.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
:)

Did you type Mythbusters' episode link before throwing in the towel and saying "Ah, screw it, not getting paid to educate people on the Internets ..."?

:D

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts

Did you type Mythbusters' episode link before throwing in the towel and saying "Ah, screw it, not getting paid to educate people on the Internets ..."?

Exactly this. It is..."mathematically" counter-intuitive, but a 30 mph head-on is really less damaging than a 60 mph into an immovable object. Mythbusters actually showed the car damage in both cases--you could see it with your own eyes.

·
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,650 Posts

:rofl:

Pretty much... Though the references were more solid than Mythbusters. ;)

Hey, by the way, I've been meaning to congratulate you on the Cayman. That thing is bloody gorgeous! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Hey, by the way, I've been meaning to congratulate you on the Cayman. That thing is bloody gorgeous! :thumbup:
Thank you so much. I am pretty happy camper right now. If this didn't pan out, I was dead serious on finding nicely kept 330ci ZHP or S54 M3. M2 is not seriously available and I really didn't need to waste whole tracking season this year.

I'm at 1,840 miles now since June 1st, 160 miles to go WOT to redline! (yes, Porsche NA wants you to break the car in for 2,000 miles!). Booked at Mid-Ohio for Aug 21st. Can't wait!

For any question answered in full detail from first hand owner and stakeholder (I did put my money where my mouth is after all :) ), please send me a PM and I will be more than happy to reply.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts