BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I just changed my waterpump and T-hose behind the throttle body 2 weeks ago on my 645ci 2005 220k km
Yesterday I started to smell a sweet smell inside the car, so I check the waterpump, hoses and T-hose. All was fine, so I thought it was old coolant that had leaked from earlier.

Untill I was driving again and steam was coming from under the hood. I checked it and it comes from the rear of the engine.

I drove to a garage and hired a bridge to look underneath the car.

I put pressure on the coolingsystem and coolant was pouring down from under the car between the transmission and rear engine on the driverside.

Is this the valley pan or rear passage coolant leak?

·
Super Moderator
8,333 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just changed my waterpump and T-hose behind the throttle body 2 weeks ago on my 645ci 2005 220k km
Yesterday I started to smell a sweet smell inside the car, so I check the waterpump, hoses and T-hose. All was fine, so I thought it was old coolant that had leaked from earlier.

Untill I was driving again and steam was coming from under the hood. I checked it and it comes from the rear of the engine.

I put pressure on the coolingsystem and coolant was pouring down from under the car between the transmission and rear engine on the driverside.

Your leak could be coming from the valley pan, or the rear seal on the coolant pipe. If it is the coolant pipe seal, the tranny will have to be dropped to gain access to the seal. I would pull the intake & do a very good inspection. If you have access to a boroscope, you might be able to get a better look at the leak.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The coolant tanks are a weak point.. You might want to check it first
Changed the tank 2 months ago with a new one. It all started from there. After that, several hoses, waterpump, thermostat etc. The front is dry and there is no coolant from the small hole in the front. It's coming from the back and between the engine and transmission. Are there any symptoms that show wich one is leaking?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,

Your leak could be coming from the valley pan, or the rear seal on the coolant pipe. If it is the coolant pipe seal, the tranny will have to be dropped to gain access to the seal. I would pull the intake & do a very good inspection. If you have access to a boroscope, you might be able to get a better look at the leak.
I know there can be 2 spots for the leak. The valley pan and the rear coolant passage ( kidney on the rear of the engine, transmission has to come off)

The rear coolant pipe seal is that a different one? Can you explain where I can find this one?

Thank you

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There's a good pic here, post 8, 15th pic down.
So had everything off today in the garage. Found the leak and it wasn't the passage above the transmission nor the valley pan. It was the T hose I replaced couple weekes ago. Some way the new hose was cracked on the rear on one of the connections. Well I replaced everything now. 8 hour job while it only was a 15 min job. Lesson learned today and all is fine now.

While I was working on the car I also changed some other parts.

-Hardy disc Guibo
-Driveshaft bearing
-Altenator Regulator
-Oil Sensor
-Gasket and O ring vacuum pump
-Valley Pan
-Intake gaskets
-Rear passage coolant kidney

Thank you all for the input as always

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,333 Posts
That is a lot of work that you have done, nice to have a lift to work on the car. Looks like you should be good to go for a while.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a lot of work that you have done, nice to have a lift to work on the car. Looks like you should be good to go for a while.
Yes it was but I was at it any way so I thought it would be better to tackle some of the things right away. The lift makes everything alot easier.

As always thanks for your input HerbP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts