BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nav system is driving me mad! i have the most up to date software issue but still it makes no sense. I live in UK near the A1(main dual carriageway) i have a client in Peterborough which is south just off the A1 about 60 miles. When i pick fastest route it takes me north onto a motorway a distance of 92 miles time 1hr 58min. when i pick shortest it picks the A1 route a distance 66 miles time 1hr 11min, nearly 50minutes quicker. Any ideas why this is not the fastest route in BMW logic. This is just one example of many strange decisions i find the Nav comes up with. The lexus Nav you can alter road speeds to compensate for this a little anyone know if you can hack the BMW one? Any help would be welcome as i think the system as is is flawed to say the least.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
My navigation has done the same thing to me a couple times. Makes no sense how the fastest route isn't actually the fastest route :loco: In the end the navigation system is just a computer that calculates distances with variable speeds and tries to point you in the right direction. Overall, trust your instinct and take the roads you know to work the best. I use the navigation when I have absolutely no clue about where I am supposed to be headed. Those are the times when I'm the most vulnerable and have no choice but to trust the nav to lead the way. Look at it this way, it might not have some of the features that the lexus navigation incorporates but, at least its not a Mercedes navi system because those are terrible, it doesn't even display the name of streets around you, it only tells you what street your currently on. My friends and family with M-Benz's are envious of my nav system, so look at the bright side. ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
My dealer told me to send a mess to navtech and tell them about the issue.
They got an update choice on theire site.
So go to navtech.com and let them now so they can update.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine did something similar when going from Sandy in Bedfordshire to Knutsford up near Manchester. I switched from fastest route, to use motorways and it tried to route me 35 miles south to the M25 and then up the M1 to the M6. The route should have been across country to the M1 and then North. It tried to add about 50 miles to the route.

when I reselected the options, it changed its mind and went what I would call the right way!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My nav plays the same tricks. I usually look at both fastest and quickest before I start out and then make my mind up, sometimes even starting of via a totally different route. Even if the system was real smart I would still want to consider both options as I don't often need to go 25% geater distance just to save 1% time (although sometimes a lay in in the morning makes this important ;)

Phil...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts