BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Capt. Davey here, presently hailing from Oregon. Originally from beautiful Santa Cruz, California. I have recently acquired a 2004 BMW x5 4.4i, and have been using this forum to find information. Seems like a good community here and a wealth of knowledge for sure. Always drove Volkswagen's of various year and models. Daily drove a 1971 VW double cab transporter for nearly a decade. Even with its upgraded 1776 engine and freeway flyer trans, it could hardly get out of its own way. After driving a BMW 328i I got the itch to own something with more power and the ability to take a corner..This is my first BMW and I am hooked. The x5 was a deal, and felt so good on the road I impulse bought it. Damn SUV, oops, I mean SAV, handles like a dream and has gobs of power. I have a few issues to deal with but have worked as a factory technician for VW in the past, and am comfortable doing all repairs and maintenance myself.Shimmies slightly at end of braking, brakes and rotors worn. I need to do a complete brake job and replace the tires, maybe an alignment. No other apparent issues at 150k miles. Engine purr's at cruising speeds and feels nice and tame, growls past 5000 rpm like some wild beast. Shifts very cleanly and suspension is stiff in just the right way. Im impressed at the lack of body roll in hard corners. Factory gps still workin fine. Black paint peeling or chipping of steering wheel. But one hell of a ride. Should I use factory recommended synth oil or switch to high miles synthetic? No leaks so far. Let me know of anything else I should look out for, in the meantime, Ill be driving her.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Greetings, Capt. Davey here, presently hailing from Oregon. Originally from beautiful Santa Cruz, California. I have recently acquired a 2004 BMW x5 4.4i, and have been using this forum to find information. Seems like a good community here and a wealth of knowledge for sure. Always drove Volkswagen's of various year and models. Daily drove a 1971 VW double cab transporter for nearly a decade. Even with its upgraded 1776 engine and freeway flyer trans, it could hardly get out of its own way. After driving a BMW 328i I got the itch to own something with more power and the ability to take a corner..This is my first BMW and I am hooked. The x5 was a deal, and felt so good on the road I impulse bought it. Damn SUV, oops, I mean SAV, handles like a dream and has gobs of power. I have a few issues to deal with but have worked as a factory technician for VW in the past, and am comfortable doing all repairs and maintenance myself.Shimmies slightly at end of braking, brakes and rotors worn. I need to do a complete brake job and replace the tires, maybe an alignment. No other apparent issues at 150k miles. Engine purr's at cruising speeds and feels nice and tame, growls past 5000 rpm like some wild beast. Shifts very cleanly and suspension is stiff in just the right way. Im impressed at the lack of body roll in hard corners. Factory gps still workin fine. Black paint peeling or chipping of steering wheel. But one hell of a ride. Should I use factory recommended synth oil or switch to high miles synthetic? No leaks so far. Let me know of anything else I should look out for, in the meantime, Ill be driving her.
COOL welcome, and same here with the VW's. I have two Custom Supers and my Daily Driver has been a 75' LaGrande with AC and a 1776cc. I recently purchased a 135i and love it. I'm selling that 75' and will keep my 73' with the 1915 Dual Carb Super.
I agree with you that this forum is packed with helpful info. Enjoy the experience :thumb:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts