BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal im feeling people out for intrest in this.
i have spoken with a company that designs and builds software
mostly for car audio equipment. and there is a chance that they will design and build as well as upload the new software to our oem bmw cd changers (I-BUS) which will allow them to read mp3 and maybe flac formatted music(files) without the use of any and i mean any adapters i.e blitz safe and also display mp3 tags(song title) on the factory head unit (ssa capable only) which is almost all bmw head units from 1997 to now, i realize that a mp3 player/changer can be added right now but to add a changer that plays mp3 on a i-bus system like ours you must use a software interface adapter blizt or a few othere brands, i have not used these adapters due to the fact that ive heard rumor of bad lag, error messages and in a few cases wire loom melt down.
now this is not a deal done in stone yet but if its doable it will be anywhere from 100.00 to 180.00 per changer(this is just the software) but it will require no adapters or re-wireing just plug the oem changer in like always.
if there is any intrest please email me the price per unit will depend alot on how many people are intrested in doing this which basically the cost of software design will be paid by all who want this. the cost of software design was quoted at between 7-10k but if there is 50-60 people intrested then it will be affordable
let me know// and yes i know this is a different way of doing things.
[email protected]

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
How much upfront and how much on delivery? These software projects sometimes don't work....

I don't have the BMW changer now for my 2001 M Roadster/ Business CD -- so success with this might push me to get one.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Please tell me if a 2003 330Ci has the I-bus or not. I have no idea what the I-Bus is, can see it talked about a lot.

Also you say "if SSA" Please tell me what that means as well.

I would be interested in this software, if it is fully compatible with my 2003 330Ci, but I don't know if I have I-Bus, or SSA.

Thanks for your help.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off im not swearing it can be done,a few points though a cd changer stores a program of sorts kinda like a bios in a pc.
basically the new software would be uploaded to to the oem changer in place of the old software.uploading would require us to send our changers to the company. there is a chance that there will be about 30.00 woth of hardware that might need to be replaced internal on the changer. im still talking with the software company so nothing is a forsure thing right now. that is why i was checking for enough intrest in this so it would affordable to all instead of crazy expensive to just a few.
as for the head unit goes if its a bmw cd player/bussiness or pro
it is text ready(the rds button will allow for text from the radio stations to transmitt there radio name etc... but in america very few staions transmit this info but the head unit will display text)
please note im not asking anyone for a dime im just guaging intrest to see if there will be enough people so the overall price will be affordable to us all.
PLEASE email me you name and email addy so i can keep a list of how many are truly intrested so hopefully we can go foward with this.
[email protected]

·
Registered
362 Posts
If I have to take the changer out, send it to them, and they have to replace things inside my OEM changer, then please count me as a no, that does not sound interesting to me.

If it is just a software upgrade that can be done, then yes I am interested.

·
The Darwinator.
529 Posts
I could be interested, but...

The Alpine changer does mp3, admittedly with an adapter, but for less than half the price. How much extra noise does the adapter really add?

I'd be more interested in taking the Alpine and getting it to display song info text (presumably from mp3 ID3 tags) to my '03 with Nav.

B.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
regrdless of hardware or software changes the software will have to be changed and this will require removing the changer(which is about a 15 min process) from the car no way from getting around that. so ill remove your name from the list rbright

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BOB330 the reason for not using the adapter like a blitz safe is not so much due to noise break down but due to the fact that a few people have already had complete meltdowns of there wireing harness (audio) bmw does not have a fused line for the cd changer and the blitz adapter does not have one.
but even with a alpine mp3 chnager you still can not have it display title text and so on.
even looking into a phatbox(hard drive based mp3 player) for a bimmer is about a 1000.00 with the adapters.
im by no means trying to say that this is the best and only way of having mp3 player/changer in a bimmer, but to keep the factory look and wireing and to have text displayed on the oem deck this is the only way i see it happening as of now. and for us to beable to have mp3 and maybe flac. capable players with text for between 150-200 roughly i think is pretty good. but there is alot still to consder for instance if this happens we could possibly pay alot less for the software upgrade(designing of it)but have NO right of licensing of the software( which doesnt bother me)
or they may want to simply design it and sell the software with the licensing all in one shot. if they would just design it and upload it for a fee and then they can market it and sell the software on the market that would be fine too then it would be alittle cheeper for all of us, this is what im talking with them about. im hoping for a small fee of 50.00-100.00 to upgrade each unit but we will see.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Couple of points I'd like to raise, I'm not trying to attack you, just stating things that came to mind when I read the posts.

First, where did you hear of wiring harnesses melting down? I haven't heard of that on this board or the fanatics board where several people are using the soundgate adapter. Not a huge sample to be sure, but if you have links to testimonials of the wiring melting down I'd sure like to read them. I'm just about to order the alpine kit for my car. That's a scary thought as the repair can't be cheap.

Second, everyone needs to remember altering the bmw changer will void any warranty covering it. I know a lot of people here are warranty hounds so it's something to think about. Doubt they'd find some uploaded software, but it'd be pretty obvious if they had to crack the case and replace parts. Chances are still great that the dealer wouldn't notice and still replace it anyway. But everyone should be aware the possibility of denied coverage.

Sounds like a great idea, thank you for researching a software firm that could do this...especially if it turns out as affordable as planned. :thumbup:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
01silz3 said:

but even with a alpine mp3 chnager you still can not have it display title text and so on.
even looking into a phatbox(hard drive based mp3 player) for a bimmer is about a 1000.00 with the adapters.
ID3 info doesn't show up on the head unit when using a Phatbox. My understadning is that the head unit is incapable of reading/understanding any text info coming from the changer. What you've been describing, changes to the changer, doesn't sound like it will do anything to change that. Altering the head unit would be something else. Of course, if what I've heard previously is wrong, then... :dunno:

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
oblu good point on the warranty issue and yes you are correct if it were found that the unit had been tampered with im sure they would cancel any and all warranty's threre is a link below about the cable melt this is the only one current but i have read about this before when i was researching the phatbox was plannign on purchasing one.
im not 100% that the unit would have to be opened and have hardware changed im just exploring all possibilities.
please note i am NOT saying anything negative about any adapters or such im just stating what i have read i have not used any adapters yet so i have no first hand knowledge.
i do know for a fact that the single cd head unit from bmw( din size) is text capable it even stated it in the owners manual for the rds function. i can not say for sure as a above post stated that it can be done via the changer or any trunk mounted system
what i am doing is testing the waters to see if people are intrested because if the software developers come back and say yes that can do it with text and mp3 i want to know how many people so i can figure a rough price per unit less ppl more money , lots of ppl less money
ATTENTION: i have not claimed to be a software programmer or a audio expert i know im far from it. all that i am passing on is what the programmer and i have discused, they seem to be on the bar with this and claim to beable to supply text( at a minium mp3 tags) to the oem head unit. i have not and will not ask for money upfront or risk capitol, but it will most likely come down to me fronting the full amount of capitol for design and the rights of license as well. i just did not want to assume people would be intrested and go ahead with it ( permitting they give it a all go on there end the programmers that is) and then not be able to recover all the expense of the software design. im not looking to make any money off of this( if i do well great) i just want my damn changer to play mp3 files and offer text mp3 tags with out extra adapters or re- wireing and also keep the factory look
if you have any comments or suggestions please email me with them [email protected]
link to burn wires:http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/audio/forum.php?postid=1373783&page=1

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
A couple random musings:

Over on BMWNAV, there are folks who have both decoded and generated I-bus messages. Since the bus is bidirectional and the changer sits on the bus, it is likely that it can generate messages.

This will certainly void the player's warranty. But there are enough OEM players for sale (from people swapping in MP3-capable ones) that it should be possible to pick one up and have this upgrade done to it. May well end up still being less expensive than an Alpine MP3 + Blitz/Soundgate kit.

While I haven't looked in the player, my guess is that the firmware in it is in a ROM/PROM and not flash memory - after all, flash costs more and there probably isn't any need to upgrade the CD player firmware (unlike, say, the NAV computer). Likewise, I can't say if the part is in a socket (ideal) or soldered on.

However, I would have expected that the person/company offering to do the work (not 01silz3, but the actual programmers) would have looked at a changer unit before getting involved, just to see if it is at all possible.

I'm interested, and would definitely get one if this project works out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
01silz3 said:
regrdless of hardware or software changes the software will have to be changed and this will require removing the changer(which is about a 15 min process) from the car no way from getting around that. so ill remove your name from the list rbright
I don't mind taking it out for a bit, but not to ship to somewhere and have them take the whole thing apart to "experiment" on their homemade setup.

Sure, there might be a little interest, but I seriously doubt if you will get many to take their changer and out ship it someplace for an overhaul. I hear the adapters are fine...a meltdown on occasion, mostly due to improper installation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did this ever pan out? Any new news on this? I am pretty new to the board and just saw this post after a doing some searches. Sounds very interesting. Thanks for any info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts