BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  sean96gsr 
#1 · (Edited)
So it's somewhat of a long story, and if you want more of a rough idea of the details you can read my recent yelp review at:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bmw-of-mount-laurel-mount-laurel?hrid=-APMuk3AD6OVgqt8QgRFtQ

But to summarize, I went to the BMW of Mt Laurel Dealership earlier today, per the service manager's request when he called me, late morning, in response to my review. We go on a test drive in the car, which I am all too familiar with, and during which I discuss the issues I am claiming against their dealership. We get back to the dealership, go to his office and talk a bit, ultimately I ask for my vehicle's DAVIS records and he refuses to give them to me!

1) First, is this even legal since it was a brand new car purchase? (2013 535xi black with cinnamon interior, if you're curious) and I am the sole owner? I freaking even convinced my younger brother to buy the same car a year later...(2014 though) from the same dealership. Why would they do this?

2) Can these records be deleted by anyone, including BMW NA, AG? They wouldn't even give me my key history report!! Does anyone know _absolutely_ that this data is completely unalterable??

If anyone has experience with this at all I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
What is a DAVIS record?

Your YELP review and dealer response are from May, 2014. Were you invited in there just yesterday? What has your experience been with the dealer and the car since May?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#5 · (Edited)
Try:
http://www.yelp.com/user_details_reviews_self?userid=TV-hqrkf04s_Y6dXamSQyA

That should link to the review. And DAVIS records are the dealership's/BMW's internal records that help determine if a car is becoming a lemon (DAVIS days = number of days in the shop). I could probably get it from another dealer (hopefully) since I am the sole owner, or at least you'd think, but then why did I buy the car from this dealership and give them my business...I bought my first bmw (pre-certified 7 series) from Princeton BMW, Mt Laurel basically made fun of me while I serviced it with them day in and day out, only to finally buy a new car from them and pray for better luck. And it was perfect...up until they started trying to defraud me. And yes I am posting a complete FRAUD warning about this dealership. At least on their service side.

So as I was leaving, I realized Sal (service manager) only gave me one page of my current key history report, so I walked back to get the rest. The girl at the desk prints out the other 2 pages, and as she's about to give me the whole history report, he literally came out running telling her 'I can't have that.' And mind you I am one of the quietest/nicest people usually, and I have always been polite and respect in dealing with them.

Scam artists extraordinaire if you ask me. I heard my front rotors grinding at 31k miles, they want to keep my car over the weekend (probably just a reprogramming according to them). They claim it was just a reprogramming, when I picked my car up, it felt like it had thicker brakes in the front....and my entire data/CBS system was shut off. The concierge I payed for didn't work, no service system functionality, no CBS, no anything...everything was grayed out. And that's when I began to start wondering what was really going on.

#4 ·
All I can say is based on your other Yelp reviews you are a rather demanding customer. Tough.

And I never heard of a "Davis Record" either. Is it computerized? Maybe another service department at another dealership might get them for you. West German BMW or BMW of the Main Line?

#6 · (Edited)
Dealers are not allowed to disclose Vehicle History data, Key Data, or DAVIS information to third parties, including the owner of the vehicle. You can ask them to read you the information, but they cannot print it off and hand it to you. Unfortunately, the service manager was correct on this.

So, I tried reading your Yelp stuff, and it seems like there is a TON of information left out. You claim you love BMW, but then you feel like they are defrauding you because they use cheap brake pads and limited oil changes? So are you mad at the dealer or BMWNA for their maintenance program? Who defrauded you and how?

What is the problem with the suspension? Under warranty, the car cannot be repaired with anything besides new OEM BMW parts. Why do you continue to go to this same dealer if they are so terrible?

Seems like there is another side of the story........

#7 ·
Dealers are not allowed to disclose Vehicle History data, Key Data, or DAVIS information to third parties, including the owner of the vehicle. You can ask them to read you the information, but they cannot print it off and hand it to you. Unfortunately, the service manager was correct on this.

So, I tried reading your Yelp stuff, and it seems like there is a TON of information left out. You claim you love BMW, but then you feel like they are defrauding you because they use cheap brake pads and limited oil changes? So are you mad at the dealer or BMWNA for their maintenance program? Who defrauded you and how?

What is the problem with the suspension? Under warranty, the car cannot be repaired with anything besides new OEM BMW parts. Why do you continue to go to this same dealer if they are so terrible?

Seems like there is another side of the story........
I know this is somewhat of a Zombie Thread Revival, but there are several logical fallacies in your statement.

First off. regarding the Key Data. If a dealer refuses to disclose this information to the owner of the vehicle in question in a manner admissible as evidence in court (such as a printed document), I would INSTANTLY be on Red Alert. If the keys in question were simple cut steel keys such as those found on my 1987 Mazda RX-7, no reasonable manner of obtaining this information would exist due to being able to duplicate the key at any Walmart or locksmith.

However, since the vehicle in question is a 2013 model, this information is readily accessible by any dealership. Even on my 1997 Ford Expedition (uses a transponder key as well) the number of operable keys for it is accessible by the Next Generation STAR tool. While the programming procedure is well known, removing programmed keys from the anti-theft system and initial key programming requires the NGS Tool.

If you recall the film Gone in 60 Seconds (2000 version with Nicolas Cage), how did they steal the three Mercedes? With keys ordered from a dealership, pre-programmed for the target vehicle. I know firsthand that a new key straight from the dealership works with no fuss, learned that with my own E38.

Getting back to my initial point, why would a dealership refuse to provide this information in writing to the verified owner of the vehicle, unless the dealership involved in auto theft?

The owner is NOT a third party...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.