BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf2y7Rt5sqw

BMW continues to tease out details about the 2017 5 Series. The latest details are about the Driving Assistance Systems. The video above shows off the Steering and Lane Control Assistant and Crossroads Warning system. Both features are geared towards safety, but seem like an odd choice to promote before launching the Ultimate Driving Machine.

The early reviews say the G30 5 Series lives up to the BMW nameplate, hopefully that rings true in the production versions.

Driving dynamics aside BMW also teased out a shot of the front fender. The side vent is a prominent part of the body design. The black color of the vent, fender mounted M badge, M badge wheels and blue brake calipers indicate this car has the M Sport package. We're getting really close to seeing the production car, who's getting excited?

G30 5 Series production photo

Attachments

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I really was not impressed by the info about this aspect of the G30.
Nothing new compaired to my VW golf last generation full optioned car.
BMW can beat Tesla with these gimmicks, but thats is just what it is.
Better to look at the driving abilities of the new car.
Coming five years you will drive your G30 you self.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The End Of An Era, or The Moment I Knew I Was a Grumpy Old Car Guy

I'm sorry to see that BMW has now well and truly lost its way with the 5 series. The 7 series has always been a largely irrelevant car, and with the benefit of perspective we can now see that it peaked with the e38.

As evidenced by this marketing, the 5 series has become as bloated as the 7, and has befallen the same fate. They've highlighted the fact the driver can be as disconnected from the car as they are from the driving experience.

Don't get me wrong--there are always going to be people who are looking for a big, fat, comfortable, luxurious, expensive German vehicle. And there is a growing segment that would prefer to delegate driving responsibilities to a computer. But there's no reason for a car maker to devote 2 separate model lines to this task. You can argue that they have 5 models for this niche, if you include the X5, X6 and 6.

Yes, these models are the profit centers for BMW, and as such very important. But they are also riskier than they used to be, which explains why BMW builds them all on the same platform, which in turn explains why they all feel so similarly disconnected, even in their ///M variants.

Ferry Porsche once said, "The last car ever built on earth will surely be a sports car." Car guys the world over are disappointed to see he was wrong.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
If your complaint is the auto-drive systems, JRSHC, I have to disagree. As someone that commute 80 miles round trip daily into a city, the driver assistance features are required for my any car I purchase in the future. My little i3's radar assisted cruise control dramatically lessons the suck of being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

I'm happy to hear that BMW is taking those systems and further improving them in the new 5, which will likely be added to my stable. The i3 will still do the majority of my commuting, but it will be nice to have those features in a car that I might drive to the office once a week, but still want to take up into the mountains on the weekend.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Most manufacturers have the same driver-assist packages that do virtually the same thing. Most of the driver assist packages are bought from some third party for not very much and the manufacturers rip us off, some worse than others. Tweaking of the software might be done by each company.

I was out with one of my kids looking at lower priced cars and almost all offer the very same features as the BMW. I'd be shocked if these don't become federally mandated to be in all cars within a few years because they save lives and money. ADAS technology is available in some of the least expensive cars out there, i.e., 20K Honda Civics.

Here's a link that discusses this:

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/from-audi-to-volvo-most-self-driving-cars-use-the-same-hardware/

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's not really a Complaint

Just a couple of observations. Cars are getting boring and I am getting old.

We're approaching this singularity of technologies which will soon allow us an unprecendented level of mobility, with near-perfect safety, and unrivaled efficiency.

And it's fecking boring. I didn't say it wasn't useful--of course it is. Full disclosure: mrs. jrshc rides along in an X5 with ZLS and ACC and thinks the world is butterflies and rainbows.

With this latest 5 series BMW plays it quite safe. As brilliant as they are, they've simply gone along with the crowd. There's nothing distinctive or ground breaking here. Another German box that drives you instead of the other way around. Pretty much just like every other BMW over $50k. Have they lost a little BMW-ness in the process? You be the judge.

And for those of you who would defend it with sales figures, spare me. If you want to look at sales figures, just look at how the world has responded to the latest 7 series. The collective yawn nearly broke the sound barrier. That's what happens when BMW tries to out-Mercedes and out-Lexus the competition. As a car guy I see justice in that.

Anyway. Maybe I'll go get the car washed. The dealership is right across the way. Maybe I'll drive a 2 series, I hear those are really quite good.

I just look so damn ridiculous in that car.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just a couple of observations. Cars are getting boring and I am getting old.

We're approaching this singularity of technologies which will soon allow us an unprecendented level of mobility, with near-perfect safety, and unrivaled efficiency.

And it's fecking boring. I didn't say it wasn't useful--of course it is. Full disclosure: mrs. jrshc rides along in an X5 with ZLS and ACC and thinks the world is butterflies and rainbows.

With this latest 5 series BMW plays it quite safe. As brilliant as they are, they've simply gone along with the crowd. There's nothing distinctive or ground breaking here. Another German box that drives you instead of the other way around. Pretty much just like every other BMW over $50k. Have they lost a little BMW-ness in the process? You be the judge.

And for those of you who would defend it with sales figures, spare me. If you want to look at sales figures, just look at how the world has responded to the latest 7 series. The collective yawn nearly broke the sound barrier. That's what happens when BMW tries to out-Mercedes and out-Lexus the competition. As a car guy I see justice in that.

Anyway. Maybe I'll go get the car washed. The dealership is right across the way. Maybe I'll drive a 2 series, I hear those are really quite good.

I just look so damn ridiculous in that car.
Yeah I'm with you there. Funny how cars are better than they've ever been, and they all put me to sleep. Had a 228xi convertible loaner about two weeks ago, and it did actually drive pretty darned good, and felt "alive" unlike so many other cars these days. The F15 X5 I just had (my car has been in the shop a bit lately), my God, I just wanted to take a nap in that car. It might as well have driven itself. :tsk:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The steering assistance thing would be great in the 7-series. In the 5 and under it won't really do much. The thing is, the 7-series is so huge (wide, basically 90% of the lane is occupied) I have a hard time staying in lane than I did with the 5 and any other vehicle I have ever driven.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The steering assistance thing would be great in the 7-series. In the 5 and under it won't really do much. The thing is, the 7-series is so huge (wide, basically 90% of the lane is occupied) I have a hard time staying in lane than I did with the 5 and any other vehicle I have ever driven.
I don't find that to be a problem because of the width of the car but rather it's a result of the numb steering. There is very little steering feedback on the seven and with the overboosted EPS the car will wander. That was the biggest reason for me for not buying the seven. I'm betting on the G30 so I hope the steering is more dialed in.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The 7 Series is a mere 3 inches wider than the 5 Series. That is hardly enough to cause lane departure concerns. Interstate highways have 12 or 13 foot lanes while many areas of the country have 8 and 9 foot wide lanes. The beauty of these systems is that they can be turned on and off. Use them when they are an advantage to supplement your skills. Turn them off or don't buy them if you don't want to use them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I don't find that to be a problem because of the width of the car but rather it's a result of the numb steering. There is very little steering feedback on the seven and with the overboosted EPS the car will wander. That was the biggest reason for me for not buying the seven. I'm betting on the G30 so I hope the steering is more dialed in.
It will be the same as it is now (give or take). If you want more "dialled in" steering you should look at the 3 series or the 2 series. The 5 and 7 are luxury limousines now and according to BMW engineers, that is exactly what the customers of those cars are asking for.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It will be the same as it is now (give or take). If you want more "dialled in" steering you should look at the 3 series or the 2 series. The 5 and 7 are luxury limousines now and according to BMW engineers, that is exactly what the customers of those cars are asking for.
I'm not sure what to make of that statement. The 5 series has been tweaked between EPS in the pre-LCI and post-LCI. I have an F10 with Hydraulic steering which is significantly better than the EPS but it's not perfect by any means. I'm also able differentiate between steering responsiveness differences between a short wheel base vehicle like the 3 and a long wheel base vehicle like the 7. So you're saying the G30 five will feel like the pre-LCI 5? The LCI 5? Or the current 7, which has a much more boosted (light) steering? And, how do you know?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of that statement. The 5 series has been tweaked between EPS in the pre-LCI and post-LCI. I have an F10 with Hydraulic steering which is significantly better than the EPS but it's not perfect by any means. I'm also able differentiate between steering responsiveness differences between a short wheel base vehicle like the 3 and a long wheel base vehicle like the 7. So you're saying the G30 five will feel like the pre-LCI 5? The LCI 5? Or the current 7, which has a much more boosted (light) steering? And, how do you know?
I have a 2013 model drive with hydraulic steering. It doesn't steer anywhere near as responsively as a 3 series and according to BMWs engineering department, that is intentional. The target market for this car is not the Porsche 911 owner wannabe, but rather a luxury car owner - that is what the F10 was meant to serve. I expect the trend will continue with the G30. With respect to Pre/Post LCI steering feel, I can't comment as all of the F10 cars in Canada are Xdrive models which I assume continue to have a hydraulic steering system. With EPS equipped cars, consider that Porsche uses EPS on the 911 and that car has the most precise and responsive steering on the road. BMW could do the same, but hasn't. Why? They say it's because that isn't what 5 series drivers want (other than enthusiasts living on these forums, I guess). You can expect some tweaking and improvement in feel, but if you are looking for a more direct and sporty feeling steering on the G30, I thing you need to look elsewhere in the BMW range. As to how I know this? I follow what BMW engineers and marketing say when quizzed on the steering issue. They don't see it as a problem and say their customer research bears that out. Further, you have to look at BMWs direct competitor, in this case the Mercedes E Class. It's no secret the the F10 has moved closer to the E Class in terms of comfort, ride and handling to try and capture some of that brands sales. Turning the G30 back towards to sports end of the spectrum would lose them market share in the class. In the end this is just a forum where people express opinions about stuff. I have no insider knowledge. I have no doubt steering feel will improve, but the car won't go back to pre F10 qualities. Those days are gone for the 5. Series.

·
cor door sedan
1,161 Posts
Bobrae, I agree with your post above.
The G30 will be another highway cruiser.
For enthousiast there is something like an M4, now in lci!
A highway cruiser would be fine, but it would be nice if it had steering like the E60. That car was the sweet spot between 3 and 7.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
You may have missed it, but BMW is in the process of redefining themselves more of a "mobility" company than "driving". That is why you are just as likely to hear the word mobility these days when connected to BMW.

http://m.bmw.com/m/mobi/com/en/general/bmw-next-100/overview.cml
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/it-paradig...car-maker-autonomous-mobility-company-1547648
Link still says "Experience our vision vehicle for yourself and discover the innovative technologies that will help transform you into the "Ultimate Driver" in future."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts