BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time that BMW has ever outsold Mercedes (when taking into account the other brands like Mini, Smart etc). Sales of BMW keep increasing and this will probably continue when the E90 comes out.

Read it here story

· Registered
10,766 Posts
I agree that its not something to be happy about (unless your a stockholder). Anway, it seems a bit dubious to include Mini sales when comparing w/ Mercedes. If that's the case, why can't Mercedes include Chrysler sales?

G

·
robg said:
I agree that its not something to be happy about (unless your a stockholder). Anway, it seems a bit dubious to include Mini sales when comparing w/ Mercedes. If that's the case, why can't Mercedes include Chrysler sales?
And Mitsubishi.

G

·
misterlance said:
As much as it sucks to see bimmers EVERYWHERE, improved sales can only help. Esp. with improved engineering, product support and the amount of new products we see.
But if the new products are all boring because they are built to appeal to a wider audience, what have we gained? I'd rather drive an unreliable "fun" car than a reliable boring one. That's why I didn't buy a Honda.

· Happy as a snapping clam
818 Posts
Pleased that BMW is doing well

I am about to purchase my first BMW and I am pleased to hear that they are doing well. This improvement will enable them to pursue an orderly path towards improved vehicles and improved customer service.

If they were doing as badly as the big three in Detroit, they would be facing the possibility of extinction which would not bode well for the long term value of my new car and could certainly lead to corners being cut in vehicle support. This strong performance should also enable BMW to avoid drastic price increases to offset the declining value of the dollar against the euro.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TD said:
Do you own BMW stock or something?

I can't see how this is good news otherwise.
So you would rather that Mercedes outsell BMW? :confused:

It is interesting, because with all the controversy of BMW's new designs it still managed to do well.

I hear the point that Bimmers are all over the place, but thats why you make your's stand out :bigpimp: On the other hand this means that BMW's popularity is still high which is good for the brand. If people started associating BMW with bad designs and we see the popularity plummet, than the brand would suffer and us owner's would suffer.

G

·
hamada2 said:
So you would rather that Mercedes outsell BMW? :confused:

It is interesting, because with all the controversy of BMW's new designs it still managed to do well.

I hear the point that Bimmers are all over the place, but thats why you make your's stand out :bigpimp: On the other hand this means that BMW's popularity is still high which is good for the brand. If people started associating BMW with bad designs and we see the popularity plummet, than the brand would suffer and us owner's would suffer.
Yes. I would love it if Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, Volvo, Saab and everyone else (except maybe Porsche) outsold BMW.

I'd much rather BMWs have the kind of association they had back in the '70s (when folks that owned 2002s were cool but unusual) than what they have now (toys for rich kids or newly rich adults).

· Banned
18,433 Posts
TD said:
Yes. I would love it if Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, Volvo, Saab and everyone else (except maybe Porsche) outsold BMW.

I'd much rather BMWs have the kind of association they had back in the '70s (when folks that owned 2002s were cool but unusual) than what they have now (toys for rich kids or newly rich adults).
I see your point. But dont you think BMW doing well will "hopefully" lead to its actually competeing in the market segments Honda now controls? Which is cheaper models such as the 1 series w/ 4cyl and diesel combos.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TD said:

hahaha I agree, although it would depend on the reasons for why these other brands outsell BMW. If it is because BMW is very exclusive, which usually equates to higher price, then Im all for it. But if its getting outsold because of bad design or the public's perception of bad design, then thats a different case...

G

·
misterlance said:
I see your point. But dont you think BMW doing well will "hopefully" lead to its actually competeing in the market segments Honda now controls? Which is cheaper models such as the 1 series w/ 4cyl and diesel combos.
Why would I want a BMW that was a direct competitor to a Honda? I want a BMW that would be utterly unappealing to buyers of mainstream cars (Hondas, Toyotas, et al).

BMW used to be a market of ONE. No one else did what they did or made cars like theirs. Today, no one (not even BMW) does. Today BMW builds slightly firmer riding RWD Hondas, which is why they are selling more cars. But it means the cars themselves are MUCH less interesting.

· Banned
18,433 Posts
TD said:
Why would I want a BMW that was a direct competitor to a Honda? I want a BMW that would be utterly unappealing to buyers of mainstream cars (Hondas, Toyotas, et al).

BMW used to be a market of ONE. No one else did what they did or made cars like theirs. Today, no one (not even BMW) does. Today BMW builds slightly firmer riding RWD Hondas, which is why they are selling more cars. But it means the cars themselves are MUCH less interesting.
I would like competition with the RSX and Celica croud. A light weight RWD coupe. Light as in <2500 lbs. with a good amount of torque (diesel?). Also, <25,000$. I know this goes into Mini territory, but im still not a fan of FWD, and I need BMW styling.

I dont think any of this can happen in the USA w/o gobs of overpriced Xs,3s,Zs,Ms,5s,6s, and 7s being sold.

G

·
misterlance said:
I would like competition with the RSX and Celica croud. A light weight RWD coupe. Light as in <2500 lbs. with a good amount of torque (diesel?). Also, <25,000$. I know this goes into Mini territory, but im still not a fan of FWD, and I need BMW styling.

I dont think any of this can happen in the USA w/o gobs of overpriced Xs,3s,Zs,Ms,5s,6s, and 7s being sold.
I'd love an updated 2002tii. Small, light, nimble, quick and unique. But unique without employing the current design language.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.