BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

I have a BMW 2003 3.0i m54 engine gasoline.
This is my first car I ever purchased (2 months ago). I kept my word until my 30th birthday to buy this specific car when I was able to afford it. And yes it was my dream car, which turned in to a nightmare!

After the first day of purchase I drove the whole night without any problems, except that the engine didn't start wel. However I managed until the next morning it overheated and I had to be towed (this is where the dream started turning into a nightmare).

It turned out the car didn't had a thermostat and the aux fan for the a/c didn't work. I replaced both including the crankshaft position sensor, tomorrow I will have the pigtail camshaft sensor installed.

However after installing the thermostat and A/C fan the car still overheats. I read you should then try bleeding the car, however when I do the coolant sprays in the air like a fountain....

I also did the newspaper check to see if the fan clutch was functioning and the newspaper got ripped, because the fan works as it should.

I have to say there was white smoke coming out of exhaust, however it disappeared and didn't came back and the mechanic said the head gasket isn't broken.

Let me put it this way.
The engine runs fine, except that it stalls which is because of the faulty pigtail camshaft sensor. However it keeps overheating no matter what.

What am I missing with this issue?
Did I bleed it incorrect?
Is the water pump messed up?Because when I try bleeding the cooling system, the coolant just kept spraying out almost like a fountain.

Please help by sharing your experience and expertise.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I was bleeding the cooling system I left the bleeding screw open in order for the air to go out and also the radiator cap was open.
Directly after turning on the heater at full blast and starting the engine, the coolant started coming out. There was no stopping it...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not clear on where the coolant is spraying out. Is it spraying out of the expansion tank, the bleeder, front of the water pump???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply.

It sprays out of the radiatora and bleeder.
Correct me if I'm wrong the radiator has somekind of pressure cap.
When I drive the car and it overheats the cooland also comes out of that...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thank you for your advice.

I will have a waterpump bought and look into the radiator.

I suspected the waterpump but my mechanic keeps saying its because of the camshaft.
However I will keep updating on this matter!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

It sprays out of the radiatora and bleeder.
Correct me if I'm wrong the radiator has somekind of pressure cap.
When I drive the car and it overheats the cooland also comes out of that...

Any thoughts?
are you saying you're driving around without a radiator cap?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ok, thank you for your advice.

I will have a waterpump bought and look into the radiator.

I suspected the waterpump but my mechanic keeps saying its because of the camshaft.
However I will keep updating on this matter!
could also be a stuck thermostat not letting the coolant flow properly. If you're going to replace the pump you should replace the thermostat while you're in there. Be a good idea to put new hoses on as well as a new serpentine belt if none of those have been replaced before.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be that the thermostat which I bought and installed is a faulty one. I will have that checked!

I'm also not driving the car without a cap. I only removed the cap when I was trying to bleed the car, but the coolant kept shooting out like a fountain.

I hope that I'll be able to install the new thermostat and water pump before Sunday to test things out.

Once again thanks for the suggestions, which are highly appreciated and I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Could be that the thermostat which I bought and installed is a faulty one. I will have that checked!

I'm also not driving the car without a cap. I only removed the cap when I was trying to bleed the car, but the coolant kept shooting out like a fountain.

I hope that I'll be able to install the new thermostat and water pump before Sunday to test things out.

Once again thanks for the suggestions, which are highly appreciated and I'll keep you guys updated.
That could be bad. Like cracked head bad or blown head gasket bad.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope your wrong and it crossed my mind as well, but the grey smoke went away quickly and while driving it didn't came back.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It's out so replace it. No point putting in a part that is likely going to fail soon.

·
Registered
826 Posts
grab both ends and twist hard... if it doesn't spin in your hands it should be good but if you have it off just replace it...

the thermostat you can put in water heat it until proper temp i dont know your temp. right off (180)? you should see it open...

the radiator has tiny openings at each end, they corrode over time and water cannot pass thru to the other side
.. while it passes it of course is being cooled by the forced air and/or the fan
my be a bit more difficult to clean but you can try various solvents while out... also force water thru the entire system to bring out any blockage... you can use a radiator flush system for this. or you can just replace the radiator.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
grab both ends and twist hard... if it doesn't spin in your hands it should be good but if you have it off just replace it...

the thermostat you can put in water heat it until proper temp i dont know your temp. right off (180)? you should see it open...

the radiator has tiny openings at each end, they corrode over time and water cannot pass thru to the other side
.. while it passes it of course is being cooled by the forced air and/or the fan
my be a bit more difficult to clean but you can try various solvents while out... also force water thru the entire system to bring out any blockage... you can use a radiator flush system for this. or you can just replace the radiator.
I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me. Really thanks!
I will do as you suggest. Give me until tommorow to sort this out and I'll update on the matter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I think my thermostat housing is messed up, take a look at the following pictures:

1. https://postimg.org/image/beg817tap/
2. https://postimg.org/image/tvams198x/
3. https://postimg.org/image/rf8te6r69/

The things that hold the thermostat in place seem to be broken.
Could this be the reason that my coolant was spraying like a fountain out of the bleeder hole and radiator with unscrewed cap?

My mechanic is saying that this could of happend due to the engine overheating.
Could this be true? I hardly doubt that what he's saying is true, because it looks ripped.

Anyway I will be ordering the following parts:
- thermostat
- thermostat housing
- waterpump
- auxilery fan (i think if i am replacing parts I can do this as well)

Please give your input if this could of been the reason for constant overheating.

Thank you

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi everyone,

I think my thermostat housing is messed up, take a look at the following pictures:

1. https://postimg.org/image/beg817tap/
2. https://postimg.org/image/tvams198x/
3. https://postimg.org/image/rf8te6r69/

The things that hold the thermostat in place seem to be broken.
Could this be the reason that my coolant was spraying like a fountain out of the bleeder hole and radiator with unscrewed cap?

My mechanic is saying that this could of happend due to the engine overheating.
Could this be true? I hardly doubt that what he's saying is true, because it looks ripped.

Anyway I will be ordering the following parts:
- thermostat
- thermostat housing
- waterpump
- auxilery fan (i think if i am replacing parts I can do this as well)

Please give your input if this could of been the reason for constant overheating.

Thank you
If your thermostat is stuck closed it might cause the symptoms you are describing. Replace it. Housing too if it looks damaged.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts