BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Performance Kit for 6 MT

1046 12
Just got an Email from BMW re: their N54 performance kit. Could someone explain to me why both auto and MT get a hp boost to 320, but the torque for auto increases to 332 ft-lbs while the MT only boosts to 317? And, will these changes be noticeable only when the car is being pushed hard or will one notice the increase in everyday/slightly spirited driving? Thanks.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
I've received this e-mail as well from BMW. Is this similar to a chip, like a JB?
No. It is a combination of hardware and software.
They install some new cooling hardware, a larger fan and radiator and some cooling ducts. They then flash your ECU with a new software. It is suppose to remap the power delivery and increase turbo boost.
I've received this e-mail as well from BMW. Is this similar to a chip, like a JB?
I recall reading on most of these that BMW lists the peak torque added at very high RPMs. My guess is that going from 300 lbs-ft of torque to 317 or even 332 will hardly make a difference in every day driving, unless these are added on very early in the torque curve.

Even then, with the massive amount of torque the car has, I doubt most people under regular driving conditions would even notice 30 lbs-ft added, even at low RPMs.
Is the kit available for older models, like MY 2007 or 2008 or only the upcoming 2010?
Any 335 or 135 with the N54 engine. I believe older 2007 cars with older DME chips require a replacement that will add to the cost.
Is the kit available for older models, like MY 2007 or 2008 or only the upcoming 2010?
My understanding is that it is under the same range as stock. That said, from a human point of view (seat of the pants pov), one needs a 5% change to notice the difference. For the 6MT the difference is about 6% and AT its about 10%. So, you will feel the difference.

The question is the differnence you feel in your wallet justify the difference you will feel in-the-seat-of-your-pants while driving? Then again, for some people the ego boost may be enough to justify the upgrade. I believe the cost is going to be too high.

Unless you are tracking, how much faster do you have to go to get to dairy queen? :D
I recall reading on most of these that BMW lists the peak torque added at very high RPMs. My guess is that going from 300 lbs-ft of torque to 317 or even 332 will hardly make a difference in every day driving, unless these are added on very early in the torque curve.

Even then, with the massive amount of torque the car has, I doubt most people under regular driving conditions would even notice 30 lbs-ft added, even at low RPMs.
You know, when your wife is expecting and she needs to have the blizzard RIGHT NOW!! That's when you need it... :D
Unless you are tracking, how much faster do you have to go to get to dairy queen? :D
why is the torque increase less for 6 mt than auto?
Different transmissions have different losses. Also, perhaps, the upgrades for the autos are inherently different from the upgrades the manual receives. :dunno:
why is the torque increase less for 6 mt than auto?
I'm wondering if the manual can't handle that much torque. The reason the 335d is only available with an automatic is because the manual can't handle its torque.
cost

Does anyone know the cost of the performance upgrade.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.