BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well some people on bimmerforums (will this get deleted if i mention bimmerforums ?) have started a list of people having a problem where your shift knob rests between 3rd and 5th gear at idle. Apparently more and more people are having this problem as their mileage surpasses 50K. It seems to coincide with the cold weather too. I personally have this problem and its annoying. Alot of us are out of warranty but with more and more people coming out of the woodwork people are speculating this is a design flaw. I think the intent to develop a list to petition to BMW. Some with warranties intact have had to had their trannies replaced just to fix the problem. Others just dealing with the problem indicate it will just get worse.

Here is the weblink. Send the following info

Detailed list (Post #130)

*First and Last name (include your bf.com username if e-mailed, so i'll know who you are)
*Geographic location (city, state)
*Year and production date of car
*Stock or aftermarket shifter
*Fluid used, and how often it's changed
*Mileage when symptoms started
*anything else that might be useful

LIST

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Odd...

I have 77K on my car and no problems regardless of temp. If the weather is really cold, all shifts are a little stiff until the car is fully warmed up, but it has been like that on every car I have owned.

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
Has not occured on mine(still to new I guess).I'm not sure why it would be an issue if it did.Through a few million cars I've never relied on a gearshifts resting position in neutral to find first gear.Is there something else about this issue I'm missing?

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
SO's car:
'99 E36 M3 w/ 49k miles - and BMWNA just replaced the whole gearbox.

It started out as a "cold" problem them did it "all the time."

It's not the mounts, it's a problem with the selector inside the gearbox.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.