BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking delivery at the Performance Center last Thursday (06/16), doing our limited track time, and eating lunch, we took the Greer, SC Factory tour as a PCD Group. FYI, Z4 sales are in the toilet. Why? BMW is only producing 64 Z4s a day...Worldwide. When we were there are 1pm they were at 49. BMW is currently only running one 8 hour shift a day. On the other hand, X5 sales are still fairly strong with 425 produced per day...Worldwide. BMW has two 10 hours shifts running.

Also, another interesting note, they are going to produce something else there. Where the Z3 line once was is now completely empty floor space and it appeared they were preparing to put something in it's place. The paint shop windows were also covered as there was something in the shop they did NOT want us to see. The tour guide stated "they're currently doing some testing."

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently the X5 & Z4 line are being joined together. So BMW should be able to build another model or two in Greer, SC.

·
Lurking around since 2005
1,349 Posts
Sean said:
Apparently the X5 & Z4 line are being joined together. So BMW should be able to build another model or two in Greer, SC.
i believe its part of BMW's stance to have their factories be flexible, so that if demand in one vehicle is up, they can transition to higher production, additionally, i remember reading that they are going to start producing another vehicle. I remember becuase when i read another vehicle was going to be produced i thought "how is BMW going to fit 3 cars production into one factory"

·
Happy as a snapping clam
812 Posts
BMWenthusiast said:
i believe its part of BMW's stance to have their factories be flexible, so that if demand in one vehicle is up, they can transition to higher production, additionally, i remember reading that they are going to start producing another vehicle. I remember becuase when i read another vehicle was going to be produced i thought "how is BMW going to fit 3 cars production into one factory"
Currently at the Dingolfing factory, they are producing the 5, 6, and 7 on the same line at the same time! We saw two fives, a seven, some more fives, then a six marching along, one after the other! Henry Ford would not believe it.

·
Lurking around since 2005
1,349 Posts
djlfp said:
Currently at the Dingolfing factory, they are producing the 5, 6, and 7 on the same line at the same time! We saw a two fives, a seven, some more fives, then a six marching along, one after the other! Henry Ford would not believe it.
that has to be one complex production lines, seeing that each car would have different components that would need be on the floor at the exact time when the car passes a certain station.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
No big deal with JIT delivery and computer controlled lines. The "line" KNOWS what is coming down the line well before it gets there, so things are ordered to get there that day or the day before. ANd the pieces are picked and delivered to the stations in order, in time. Adn the robots "read" what car it is and use the proper program.

Yeah, very hard to make work without the computer controlled, semi automated assembly lines of today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts