BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know....the only grip about owning a BMW is all the unwanted attention kids give you. I swear these guys just watched fast and furious and go out looking for a race. I don't know how many times trucks, civics, and other cars peel out in front of me.

Seriously though...the guys out there that want some are the Subaru and Audi drivers. Guess I really don't care but its the time I just wanna cruise and kick it that it's most annoying. My girlfriend ask why everybody tries to race me, I tell her it's just the badge and my sexy Eric Estrada looks...lol.

Anyway, just curious to see how you guys handle it, later. :thumbup:

·
Banned
0 Posts
vicszhp said:
You know....the only grip about owning a BMW is all the unwanted attention kids give you. I swear these guys just watched fast and furious and go out looking for a race. I don't know how many times trucks, civics, and other cars peel out in front of me.

Seriously though...the guys out there that want some are the Subaru and Audi drivers. Guess I really don't care but its the time I just wanna cruise and kick it that it's most annoying. My girlfriend ask why everybody tries to race me, I tell her it's just the badge and my sexy Eric Estrada looks...lol.

I tend to stay in my little own world. Especially if Ive got a fine woman next to me.

Have you ever noticed how people with the fastest cars drive the slowest? I think it boils down to maturity. Do you have anything to prove?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
misterlance said:
I tend to stay in my little own world. Especially if Ive got a fine woman next to me.

Have you ever noticed how people with the fastest cars drive the slowest? I think it boils down to maturity. Do you have anything to prove?
Same here. I notice that the fast-n-furious crowd tends to leave me alone in my 5, but in my 3 it brought out every honda civic and subie wrx within a 10 mile radius.

Except for the kids who had their dad's E55...but I knew better than to mess with that (in a str8 line, anyway).

·
Banned
3,655 Posts
vicszhp said:

I rev up my engine and let the little asshole take off like a bat out of hell. If I see him at the next light, I smile at hime and rev it up again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when I first bought my car I had a tendacy to race but that feeling kinda wore off. It was fun smoking hondas and subs. Did get my butt kicked by a few but it's all good. I remember the dumbest thing I have ever done is race a Lotus on the freeway and ended up running approx 140mph...fun but stupid.

Now....things have changed, I don't look for races. Iv'e always thought it was cool when I saw M SERIES and AMG's straight chilling on the next to slowest lane...nothing to prove, just enjoying the day and ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
atyclb said:
I had an E46 M3 for 3 years and never really received much unwanted attention from kids.
Watching U2 live as we speak....good music.

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
i have never received any unwanted attention from kids, ever. or old farts either for that matter. the high school kids do look at it as i pass by but kids in cars have never egged me on to race.. :dunno:

·
3,365 Posts
vicszhp said:

I used to get bothered by such things. Now I am such a self-centered :asshole: that I don't even look at people when I drive, at all (unless it is a hot chick or something ;) ). I know some of these people are trying to get my attention and all of this, but I just act like said a-hole and pay them no mind. If I have to get away from them or something, I do it when they least expect it and then I am gone. I haven't gotten into it with anyone in many months, which says a lot for me. :thumbup:

BTW, I've also gotten bored with driving in a straight line on a freeway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe its my backwards hat, sunglasses and my Dr. Dre music....dunno. :dunno:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Patrick330i said:
I used to get bothered by such things. Now I am such a self-centered :asshole: that I don't even look at people when I drive, at all (unless it is a hot chick or something ;) ). I know some of these people are trying to get my attention and all of this, but I just act like said a-hole and pay them no mind. If I have to get away from them or something, I do it when they least expect it and then I am gone. I haven't gotten into it with anyone in many months, which says a lot for me. :thumbup:

BTW, I've also gotten bored with driving in a straight line on a freeway. :rolleyes:
"Now I am such a self-centered that I don't even look at people when I drive"

LOL. AH man your my hero, appreciate your honesty, I'm going down that road myself. :thumbup:

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
misterlance said:

Well put exactly the way i see it, but dont get me wrong sometimes I like to toy with some Audis and G35s just for the rush. Not too many kids provoke me just every once in a while some punk will try to launch on me with a civic that has primer gray areas on it and different rims on each side of the car. I just see him at the next light and shake my head.

·
3,365 Posts
vicszhp said:
"Now I am such a self-centered that I don't even look at people when I drive"

LOL. AH man your my hero, appreciate your honesty, I'm going down that road myself. :thumbup:
Glad I could help. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
vicszhp said:

Man I'm with you on that. Since owning my first bmw 330 3 weeks ago, at least 10 civics have tried to race me. The embarrassing part is I'm a newbie MT driver and l actually lost to them off a green light even though I could still catch up in the 2nd gear. :cry: Luckily I'm getting much better now. :D

The way I see it, they don't actually *think" that their cars are faster (unless they did turbo or supercharge then that's a different story). They'd be idiots if they do, right? My guess is that they get a bit "excited" to be head to head with a bimmer. They know if they lose, they have nothing to be ashamed of; and if they win, they will get the satisfaction of just being ahead of a bimmer. By the way, even if you are in deed in your "little world", your car surely isnt. You might feel like you are driving gently, but that deep engine growl alone probably sounds agressive enough, especially when you shift gears with a MT.

Let's face it. We are a very small (compared to majority of course) group of lucky bmw owners. For millions of drivers especially young ones out there, bmw is only in their dreams. They want to race us because they LOVE our cars, and I dont laugh at them at all. I just feel blessed to be seated in such a true ultimate driving machine and realize how much I really love it. :thumbup:

·
MediK9
64 Posts
startover said:
Man I'm with you on that. Since owning my first bmw 330 3 weeks ago, at least 10 civics have tried to race me. The embarrassing part is I'm a newbie MT driver and l actually lost to them off a green light even though I could still catch up in the 2nd gear. :cry: Luckily I'm getting much better now. :D

The way I see it, they don't actually *think" that their cars are faster (unless they did turbo or supercharge then that's a different story). They'd be idiots if they do, right? My guess is that they get a bit "excited" to be head to head with a bimmer. They know if they lose, they have nothing to be ashamed of; and if they win, they will get the satisfaction of just being ahead of a bimmer. By the way, even if you are in deed in your "little world", your car surely isnt. You might feel like you are driving gently, but that deep engine growl alone probably sounds agressive enough, especially when you shift gears with a MT.

Let's face it. We are a very small (compared to majority of course) group of lucky bmw owners. For millions of drivers especially young ones out there, bmw is only in their dreams. They want to race us because they LOVE our cars, and I dont laugh at them at all. I just feel blessed to be seated in such a true ultimate driving machine and realize how much I really love it. :thumbup:
Yeah, me too. I like your style!

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
atyclb said:
I had an E46 M3 for 3 years and never really received much unwanted attention from kids.
Are you saying you wanted the attention? :p

I don't get too much attention, but still the ricers occasionally want to race. Last night for example, doing 50 in 45mph in a known speed trap area, a Civic with undercarriage lights pulled along side and wanted to race. I just shook my head and he speed away (from the sound of the turbo spooling up as he left, I would have lost anyways.)

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
startover said:
The way I see it, they don't actually *think" that their cars are faster (unless they did turbo or supercharge then that's a different story). They'd be idiots if they do, right? My guess is that they get a bit "excited" to be head to head with a bimmer. They know if they lose, they have nothing to be ashamed of; and if they win, they will get the satisfaction of just being ahead of a bimmer.
I agreed. Back when I was in high school, drive a 65-hp Dodge Omni (not the big engine 2.2L, but a lowly 1.7L), I'd race anything and everything all the time. My goal wasn't to win in the top end, but merely to beat the guy to the other side of the intersection. I beat many a Mustang as they spun their tires off the line.

Of course, some of these kids put a coffee-can exhaust, pulleys and a CAI and think they can take the world.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Patrick330i said:

:stupid:

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I had a '94 Mustang GT for a couple of years. It attracted street racers like flies on $hit. I never really accepted the challenges because the car wasn't that fast really. However, one day I had a good time with a Supra Turbo. He smoked me every time, but it was still fun to try.

With the 5'er I don't get much of this type of attention, but occasionally some smart-ass has to be taught a lesson. :D I love the look on their faces as the big guy in the sedan shows them the rear bumper before they know what hit them. I'm hoping when I move into the 330ci that I go as unnoticed as I do in the 5'er.

The other night I was in SF with a friend in his car, a CL-S, and this guy in an E39 540i sport (step I think) got a wild hair up his butt and was the instigator, while he was on the phone I might add. He certainly wasn't acting his age and we didn't engage him.

And I'm with Patrick330i, going fast in a straight line is boring and demonstrates no driving skill whatsoever. In fact I'd say most of those punks racing on the freeway probably have no clue what driving fast is all about - it just shows they can spend money on mods they don't even need. :bigpimp:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts