Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah those leaky doors, the rear pass' side is fixed, did the rear drivers side today, now to dry up the floor. Bought a 12V fan and set it on the floor, with the heater on it dried the floor up nicely on the pass' side.
I've lost track of the number of vehicles I've owned over 5 i/2 decades, first time I've run into this problem. Almost couldn't believe it could happen. Must be a BMW right of passage, when this thing finally dies it's no more Bimmers for me. I'll keep our sweetheart 330 `cabby for the summer, but a RAV4 will grace our driveway as our DD

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The best thing I did when I bought these X3s was to keep one of my old, reliable grocer-getters. I've needed it many times while one or the other X3 was sidelined.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I will happily fix the stupid stuff to drive an X3 over a RAV4 or CR-V or similar appliance seven days a week and twice on Sunday. It's a choice, and for me, life is too short to drive boring cars.

·
Registered
336 Posts
2 BMW to more reliable than one toyota, even old BMW and high mileage means social status, means he is handy or richer or have more time to play.

·
Registered
14 Posts
^^
Social status buyers are a bit different from enthusiasts imho. Maybe they expect more than any manufacturer provides in general. See the recall rates article **

https://www.hotcars.com/10-car-manufacturers-with-highest-recall-rate-and-8-with-lowest/

I’ve owned 8 BMW products since 1992. All but 1 were purchased used. None were devoid of some niggling issue yet I managed to enjoy all of them.
Currently putting the finishing touches on this with an ‘08 X3 3.0i in the garage as well. I’m planning to take an X3M plunge in a few years after the initial sets of bugs are worked out.

To each his own...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ah those leaky doors, the rear pass' side is fixed, did the rear drivers side today, now to dry up the floor. Bought a 12V fan and set it on the floor, with the heater on it dried the floor up nicely on the pass' side.
I've lost track of the number of vehicles I've owned over 5 i/2 decades, first time I've run into this problem. Almost couldn't believe it could happen. Must be a BMW right of passage, when this thing finally dies it's no more Bimmers for me. I'll keep our sweetheart 330 `cabby for the summer, but a RAV4 will grace our driveway as our DD
I was pissed at my 2010 x3 as well. Couldnt believe all 4 doors were leaking. I fixed it 2 years ago.
It drives so much nicer than new forester.

·
Registered
665 Posts
2 BMW to more reliable than one toyota, even old BMW and high mileage means social status, means he is handy or richer or have more time to play.
Is this directed at me? I hope so. :) I'll just cherry pick from the labels throw out there.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is this directed at me? I hope so. :) I'll just cherry pick from the labels throw out there.

Yes, this was directed to you :rofl:

Social status means healthy, peace in mind and graceful. You got all these.

Not these money and power chasers who are worries all days and driving a leasing bmw or audi :bigpimp:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey, I'm local to you.
I have a leak in the rear driver side. Carpet gets a bit damp after a rainfall / automated car wash.

Recently replaced the rear window drive dog and had to crack open the vapour barrier.
I sealed it back up with a crapload of butyl tape + aluminium ducting tape to cover any slits in the VB.

I'm fairly confident my water does not come in through the VB.
Do you mind sharing how you fixed yours? Currently I've wedged a small towel in the door to prevent any water getting in :dunno:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed

The pass side was the worst, did it first. There are three torx head screws that have to be removed. The hidden one is under the "wooden" cover on the pull handle. I used a thin scraper to gently pry the cover off. You have to find a small torx wrench to get in the holes, I bought one from our local shop.
Once all three are out I used the scraper to located the plastic pins that hold the panel on. At each pin I gentle pried up until the pin popped out of it hole.
I did not fully remove the panel, with it held open at the bottom you can see where the Vapour Barrier has detached it self from the door frame.
I used a tube of RTV sealant with the long tip, starting at the end of the split I put RTV up into the unstuck area and continued across to the other end.
I did that three times with a whole lot of RTV, then let the VB fall into place on the frame. I then went around the edge of the VB with the RTV as far as I could reach.
Closing it up I was careful to line the plast ic pins up as close to the holes as possible, they clicked in with no problem.
No leaks so far:thumbup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hey, I'm local to you.
I have a leak in the rear driver side. Carpet gets a bit damp after a rainfall / automated car wash.

Recently replaced the rear window drive dog and had to crack open the vapour barrier.
I sealed it back up with a crapload of butyl tape + aluminium ducting tape to cover any slits in the VB.

I'm fairly confident my water does not come in through the VB.
Do you mind sharing how you fixed yours? Currently I've wedged a small towel in the door to prevent any water getting in :dunno:
The key is to use the correct size butyl tape...first time I did it, I screwed up cause I was cheap and had to re-do it...used thin 3m windo-weld. Use the OEM bimmer tape, you can get it for cheap sometimes on ebay, between $20-$25 (yeah Bimmer prices :rolleyes:). My favorite video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrYU1ImOqVM

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The trick to repairing these vapour barriers is simple. The butyl tape needs to be replaced with either actual OEM stuff (which lets be honest will let off again) or go to the store and get yourself some GE II Black Silicone the stuff is way better and cheaper.

The next trick is once you remove the door panel observe how the OEM vapour barrier sits inside the positive crevices of the door but also at parts comes out of those. So imagine now water coming down it will run down the inside of the door, get on the vapour barrier and poll at the bottom of the barrier where it seals against the metal door where your butyl tape is glued to the door. Over time this of course will let go and water will drip in, no matter how your fix it.

To fix it, get yourself some 6mil vapour barrier sheet from Home Depot ($20) and when you close of the crevices channel the water to flow back into the inside of the door so it drains out through the weep holes. You don't want any water to come out of the inside of the door and reside between your panel/barrier and the sealing.

It's somewhat hard to explain but remove the panel and look at the current design and it should be obvious. I fixed my doors about 2 years ago for the 2nd time only that time i made so I channeled all water coming in down to go back into the door cavity and to drain out of the weep hole and my carpet are dry as can be. I also live on the East Coast and we get a ton of snow, rain in the spring and crazy temperature swings. Check my 08 X3 thread I explained the process in there also.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
70% of BMWS leased, highest of all brands. Stupid status seekers. Leasing is one of the stupidest ways to not own a car and burn dollars is campfire.

We bought all our cars with OPM, 0% loans.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
70% of BMWS leased
If the lease includes all maintenance (except abuse, wrecks), then maybe it can be wise with BMWs for those type of people. BMWs also have high depreciation.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Most "status" cars have high depreciation, because you don't flaunt "status" by buying a used car. If you want a vehicle that retains its value, buy a full size truck. "Included" maintenance today amounts to 1-2 oil changes and wiper fluid. They lessee loses more than they gain, as they're paying for depreciation. This is why you can lease a Silverado for less than a Corolla.

There are few things more pathetic than owning something for "status."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts