BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my Benz stuff really well since I've owned 3 of them (down to one now) but new to BMW.........so not so much. Can anybody supply we with a link to know things like:

last year of the 5 series station wagon (preferably 6 speed MT) I do not like the GT series.
Last year of any 3 or 5 series with MT
when the updated X drive came out

you know things like that?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
last year of the 5 series station wagon (preferably 6 speed MT) I do not like the GT series.
For the US the last year of the 5 Series wagon was the E61 body style in 2010.
Last year of any 3 or 5 series with MT
You can still get the 3 Series with a MT.

when the updated X drive came out
For which car? The latest xDrive came out with the new X1 just this year.

Tim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Tim. I was wondering if the X Drive in the '06 was first or second generation X Drive. I think I have read that it is second gen.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,362 Posts
What is the difference, first from second generation?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Predecessor 4WD system[edit]

Before xDrive, BMW offered 4WD as an option in the 1980s for the 3 series and the 5 series. The system had a planetary center differential with a permanent 38:62 (front-back) torque split. Both the center and rear differential had a viscous lock which would engage automatically if slippage occurred (one shaft rotated at a significantly different speed compared to the other). The front differential had no lock of any kind.

4WD was again offered for the X5 and the 2001 3 series. The system was similar to the earlier system except without any of the locks. Instead, slipping wheels would be braked with the DSC system, helping transfer power to the wheels with traction.

I guess the current system has been around for longer than I thought since 2001 anyway.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,658 Posts
Before xDrive, BMW offered 4WD as an option in the 1980s for the 3 series and the 5 series.
4WD was again offered for the X5 and the 2001 3 series. [In this iteration] slipping wheels would be braked with the DSC system, helping transfer power to the wheels with traction.

I guess the current system has been around ... since 2001 anyway.
No. That was a different system. "xDrive" is not a brand name for "BMW's all-wheel drive system." It is the brand name for a specific type of BMW all-wheel drive.

In your post, you identified two earlier BMW AWD systems that are not xDrive:
  • The 1980s full-time AWD system: A permanent 38F:62R torque distribution with viscous couplings in the center and rear differentials. Available only on the 325iX (E30 platform).
  • The early-2000s full-time AWD: Same 38F:62R torque split but instead of viscous couplings, this system incorporated special DSC programming (DSC-X) that used selective braking of individual wheels to transfer torque away from a spinning wheel. Introduced with the first-generation X5 platform (E53); available on the E46 3 Series platform (325xi/330xi) from 2001 through the end of its run in 2005.
Neither of these systems is properly termed "xDrive." BMW had not yet attached a brand name to the AWD system itself, in either of these incarnations. They simply used an "x" somewhere in the model designation to denote the presence of all-wheel drive.
  • xDrive is a third, completely different AWD system: The permanent 38:62 center differential is replaced by an electronically-controlled, wet-clutch transfer case that can shift up to 100% of available torque to either axle (0F:100R to 100F:0R and anywhere in between; normal split is 40F:60R on good surfaces). Introduced with the E53 X5 facelift (LCI) in late 2003 (model year 2004); fitted to the 3 Series with the introduction of the E90 platform in 2006.
BMW started using the xDrive brand (to compete with Audi's quattro brand) only from 2003 on and only in reference to that third AWD iteration with its electro-mechanical transfer case. The term does not apply retroactively to the earlier systems.

(Wikipedia has some dates and claims regarding the use of "xDrive" terminology and hardware that contradict my summation above. Wikipedia is wrong. I would correct them if I could provide a credible attribution but unfortunately, none of my sources are on-line.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Z! That's the kind of information I was looking for. I forgot to put my response in quotes since I got it from Wiki apologies :tsk:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
203 ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE SYSTEM

this is what is listed on my original invoice for options.

Zeichen311 - Do you know if this is X Drive or the previous type? According to the previous posts it should be X Drive but it has no designation on the car outside of xi.

Thanks!

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,658 Posts
Assuming your "Mein Auto" entry (2006 330xi) is accurate:
xDrive [was] ... fitted to the 3 Series with the introduction of the E90 platform in 2006.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts