BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're # 1!!! Woo-hoo!!!! :thumbup:

DETROIT (AP) — Small cars that can be chopped into parts and sold for use by street racers dominated the list of the most-stolen autos in the U.S. last year, but high-priced cars and expensive sport-utility vehicles also ranked high, according to a report released Tuesday.
Leading the way was the 2001 BMW M-Series Roadster, which was stolen at a rate of one for every 200 on the road, according to the Chicago-based CCC Information Services, an industry group that tracks theft and vehicle damage.

Six of the top 10 most-stolen cars were models of the Acura Integra, which has a powerful engine that easily can be swapped into a lighter Honda Civic, making it a quick street racer, said Jeanene O'Brien, who analyzes the data for CCC.

The Acura models in the top 10 are from the mid-to-late 1990s through 2001. O'Brien said the 2004 and 2005 Suzuki Aerio, another small car with a powerful engine, appeared in the No. 11 and 12 slots almost from nowhere.

"That's where you see the whole tuner illegal street racing thing coming out," she said. "We saw a big spike in it last year. There's been further movement this year."

Such thefts are mainly in coastal states where illegal street racing is more popular, O'Brien said. The resale value of the parts is often far more than the value of the car as a whole, she said.

Thieves are grinding serial numbers off the Acura's double-overhead-cam engines and dropping them into Hondas, said Lou Koven, a detective with the Los Angeles Police Department's commercial auto theft division.

The racers run their cars hard until the parts fail, then steal Acuras for replacement parts, Koven said.

·
meh
2,941 Posts
Are they going by the percentage of that model stolen? The M-roadster was a relatively small production run... anyone know how many were built?

I would like to see the actual numbers, without the editorial spin.

--nw

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
nowonder said:
Are they going by the percentage of that model stolen? The M-roadster was a relatively small production run... anyone know how many were built?

I would like to see the actual numbers, without the editorial spin.

--nw
Yes, by percentages : "2001 BMW M-Series Roadster, which was stolen at a rate of one for every 200 on the road". Since that's a pretty rare car: "NA S54 (LHD): 1,600 built from 02/2001 thru 05/2002 (from BMW M registery)" so maybe 1000 of those are 2001's, meaning FIVE cars total were stolen. No way should that count as "most stolen", and again proof that stats can lie.

Still, what I find interesting by the article is cars aren't being stolen to supply the auto repair business like years ago (back when cars like the Olds Cutlass Ciera was on the list) but now for street racers. I wonder if those M Roadsters were taken for their S54's?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
i thought it was virtually impossible to steal a newer bmw w/out the key. you basically have to flatbed it, there is no way to start it w/out key.

I know some theives took Beckham's X5's by using laptops to intercept the radio code, but I can't imagine most theives are doing this.

So, how are these vehicles being stolen? Am I wrong in my assumptions above?

the data indicates that many of these vehicles are being stolen.....but I have seen many people here post that "it is impossible to start a newer bmw w/out the key". Many BMW's are stolen in europe as well, in the Czech Republic and other areas....

i don't understand.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
I dont know about the cars getting stolen, but almost every Acura I've ever seen in or around Garden Grove, CA has the Acura badge missing. I'm sure the end up on Civics.

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cwsqbm said:
Yes, by percentages : "2001 BMW M-Series Roadster, which was stolen at a rate of one for every 200 on the road". Since that's a pretty rare car: "NA S54 (LHD): 1,600 built from 02/2001 thru 05/2002 (from BMW M registery)" so maybe 1000 of those are 2001's, meaning FIVE cars total were stolen. No way should that count as "most stolen", and again proof that stats can lie.

Still, what I find interesting by the article is cars aren't being stolen to supply the auto repair business like years ago (back when cars like the Olds Cutlass Ciera was on the list) but now for street racers. I wonder if those M Roadsters were taken for their S54's?
I'm assuming the Roadsters are crated and shipped by container to other countries. There wouldnt be any point to chopping up these beauties. :bigpimp:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Explains why my 6 series is cheaper to insure than an Acura :eek:

Young ricer burners steal Hondas/Acuras for parts. :eeps:

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chuck92103 said:

Exactly. Last year the port inspectors at Long Beach found a container with a Corvette stolen back in 1969. They even found the owner who was shocked to get it back. :)

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
chuck92103 said:

I dropped the comprehensive coverage on my Integra (body is pretty beat after 12 years at the beach and around the city, so what's the point) and keep liability only. Was amazing how much more I was paying in comprehensive for an old Acura versus 2 pretty new Bimmers. I park it in the steet overnight but sleep okay knowing that a guy a few houses down parks his Murcielago in the street. :tsk:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
chuck92103 said:

:rofl: You know, there is a on-line quoting system provided by my insurer. I tried, just for the fun of it, the cost of insuring other vehicles (assuming everything else unchanged, such as my age, address post code, driving experience etc.) I recall the following cars cost more to insure than my 650i:-

Subaru WRX sedan
Chrysler 300C Hemi
Nissan 350Z
Nissan 2000 something or rather (old)
Alfa Romeo GT coupe
quite a few others. :thumbup:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
650iOzBoy said:
:rofl: You know, there is a on-line quoting system provided by my insurer. I tried, just for the fun of it, the cost of insuring other vehicles (assuming everything else unchanged, such as my age, address post code, driving experience etc.) I recall the following cars cost more to insure than my 650i:-

Subaru WRX sedan
Chrysler 300C Hemi
Nissan 350Z
Nissan 2000 something or rather (old)
Alfa Romeo GT coupe
quite a few others. :thumbup:
No doubt. I remember living in Texas in 1997. I was driving an Integra at the time. Insurance was about $1,000 per year. I bought a new 1997 M3, my insurance went down to $750. :dunno:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
chuck92103 said:
No doubt. I remember living in Texas in 1997. I was driving an Integra at the time. Insurance was about $1,000 per year. I bought a new 1997 M3, my insurance went down to $750. :dunno:
Less people probably crash M3's because they are bought by more older, wealthy, and in general, more responsible people. I frequently see old farts tooling around in an M3 as a middle life crisismoblie. How many 50+ year olds you see tooling around in an old Integra?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts