BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Service department drives 70+ miles to diagnose i3 check engine light

3290 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  ekettoz
Last week I turned in my brand new (less than 800 miles) 2017 BMW i3 REx in for service after the check engine light had come on at unexpected times (while not on REx). Through ConnectedDrive I noticed a 70+ mile drive occurred while the car is still at the BMW service center (it's been there for close to 5 days).

I am wondering if this type of diagnostics is to be expected, and if a service center is allowed to add that many miles to a brand new car without notifying the customer?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Very good question to ask your Service Adviser. Also ask him what fault(s) were setting the CEL warning. We would like to keep up with the latest faults.
Road Jager
Will certainly do so.

SA confirmed a the 70+ mile drive was ordered by BMW Germany (to bring the battery down to less than 29 miles - which is when the issue occurs). Problem is now escalated and a new control module has been ordered in Germany. 5 to 10 business days of wait.
What model car did they give you to drive while waiting for repair parts?
Will certainly do so.

SA confirmed a the 70+ mile drive was ordered by BMW Germany (to bring the battery down to less than 29 miles - which is when the issue occurs). Problem is now escalated and a new control module has been ordered in Germany. 5 to 10 business days of wait.
Definitely NOT an i3 :(
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.